VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

2nd gen. L-6 250 thermostat

mikeysly
    mikeysly

Number of posts : 284
    Registration date : 2012-05-29

2nd gen. L-6 250 thermostat Empty 2nd gen. L-6 250 thermostat

Post by mikeysly Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:38 am

anyone know what temp. thermostat to use on 68' straight 6 250? Shops say 192 but i wanted a little cooler so i thought 180 but i see some guys are sayin' 160. Advantages? Disadvantages? My radiator still pukes a little every now and then and it still doesn't want to start right up when it's hot so i thought maybe thermostat. Can't go too cool 'cause i need heat in the winter and right run temp. for efficient combustion. It actually runs really nice other than this finesse stuff but of course i want it perfect, i.e. start first time every time and no coolant leaks.
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

2nd gen. L-6 250 thermostat Empty Re: 2nd gen. L-6 250 thermostat

Post by DanTheVanMan Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:46 am

Mike, I'm running a 175-160 in mine with electric fan and it works good. Just need a larger capacity radiator. A stock rad can't cool the fluid fast enough between cycles. And if you do make the switch and have a elec. fan, make sure your thermo-switch matches you thermostat rating or she'll overheat about 20 minutes down the road (Lessons learned Rolling Eyes )!!!

Dan

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

2nd gen. L-6 250 thermostat Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:44 am

So are you saying it cranks OK, but it won't fire when it gets hot?
    mikeysly
    mikeysly

Number of posts : 284
    Registration date : 2012-05-29

Post by mikeysly Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:16 am

Yes, it cranks fine, but after it warms up and i park briefly it doesn't easily start back up. Cranks fine always but when hot i have to give it extra gas to make it start. I made some improvements, added a carb. insulator gasket, burped the radiator, got the fuel line further from heat sources, checked my electric with a voltmeter, (12.5 volts seems to be getting around the system pretty well though spark out of the plug wires could possibly be more vigorous), installed a 5 blade clutch fan and it all helps bit by bit but still have some puking and reluctant hot restart. Got the 180 degree thermostat ready to go just wonderin' if i should go lower but don't want to lose heat in the winter(cold enough as it is) and want efficient combustion for engine health
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:38 am

I am afraid there aint no 195w-160 thermostats,,,,,,you will freeze with a 160 in Winter, run hotter in the Summer with a 195,,,,,,but the hard hot start is HEAT SOAK,,,,,nothing to do with the radiator,,,,,all our vans have it,,,,,,the gas boils over into the carb and floods it out,,,,you should just hold the gas pedal down to let more air into the intake until it starts,,,,and there is the fumes,,,,because the gas is just sitting there in the bowl,,,,,there is no smog equipment to capture the fumes,,,,,best deal is a Hamburger fan,,,,a small fan on the bellypan blowing air up into the radiator,,,,I put ceiling fan wind up timers on ours,,,,park the van, twist the timer,,,,,go get your hamburger,,,come back,,,,fan cools down radiator and carb,,,starts easy,,,,doghouse and you are cooler,,,,if engine statrs running hot in traffic, click on the fan and temperature goes down,,,,,,I would not leave home without one,,,,,,

2nd gen. L-6 250 thermostat Vanfan12

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 1:48 pm