VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

replacment carb

jfox
    jfox

Number of posts : 111
    Registration date : 2011-05-20

replacment carb Empty replacment carb

Post by jfox Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:51 pm

Can anyone tell me where i can find a new replacement carb for my 225/6?(1966 A-100 panel) Its a single barrel Carter i believe. Thanks!
    slowflapper
    slowflapper

Number of posts : 956
    Registration date : 2010-07-29

replacment carb Empty Re: replacment carb

Post by slowflapper Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:47 pm

do you have the oem carb? a rebuild kit is probably still available if you do.

I have a 273/v8 with a 2BBL carter BBD, I bought a reman one from Summit racing which didnt run right, rebuilt my old one with a 12 dollar kit and it works perfectly.

IIRC, Holley bought out Carter so most of the old Carter carbs are still available but they have been renamed, you have to hunt for it to find the right one.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:55 pm

What is wrong with yours? Is it this Carter BBS? San Diego Carburetor on 66th and University might be able to help you out,,,,,,

replacment carb Dodge_29
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:15 pm

Just a word to the wise on ANY rebuild place.
    Check for main shaft wobble. Open the throttle a little and try to wiggle it. If it's sloppy, ask for another!
    Also make sure it has exactly the same throttle lever stuff and fuel inlet, unless you KNOW it can be made to work. Do not take the "Aw, it's close, should bolt right one with a little tweaking" stuff. They aren't going to make it work, and if you try to and modify it, they will refuse exchange or return!
    Also, DO NOT turn in your core until the new one is on and works to your satisfaction! As said, the junk keeps getting returned and you can often rebuild yours to as good or better shape.
    SD carb is a good place, at least it was back when I dealt with them. But the same rules apply.
    jfox
    jfox

Post by jfox Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:57 pm

It is the bbs. San Diego Carb did the rebuild to the tune of 300$. I was also told it was a good shop...leaks, and more leaks. Same crusty o rings and gaskets were still in it. He also had my choke assembled wrong so it would not even cold start. Now the problem i see is that after driving for many miles i will shut off the van and it will continue to pull gas into the carb unless i pull the vacuum line. Essentially its flooding and does not like to re start. I thought this was strange. Anyone seen this before?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:20 pm

There is no vacuum once the engine is shut off, so pulling any vacuum hoses off does nothing,,,,,If it does not act up until you get the engine really hot, then it is a heat soak problem,,,,,the hot engine boils the gas in the carburetor,,,,,,so you put a fan below the radiator to keep the doghouse, and you, cooler as well as keep the gas from boiling, blowing the fumes out and help keep the radiator cooler,,,I would NEVER leave home without one on a van,,,,,now if you see gas leaking down inside the carburetor after shutting the engine off after a few minutes, then the float, needle or seat is the problem,,,,,,

replacment carb Repai279
    jfox
    jfox

Post by jfox Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:12 pm

I understand there's no vacuum once the motor is off that's why i thought it was odd. I installed a fan already, its off a Ford Contour. It works great(other than loud) with no overheating issues.I have it on a switch. I am seeing it dumping into the carb. I'll go with sticky float/dirty. BTW Donnivan i like what you have done to help Mauro along, he is a great friend.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:26 pm

I find it hard to believe that San Diego Carburetor would do work like that,,,,,,they drive one of those Dodge Vans,,,,,maybe I will come and check your carburetor out and see what is wrong with it,,,,,,,,
    jfox
    jfox

Post by jfox Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:35 pm

you mean the 108 out back with the blown heads? Maybe i caught him on a bad day but the work wasn't up to par. It can happen. Either way i'm not here to bash anyone. I'm going to pull it this weekend and check it out first, thank you for the offer.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:53 pm

Those floats can leak when they get old and get gas inside of them,,,,,then it takes a higher level of fuel to shut off the pressure from the fuel pump,,,,I would put the float in a bowl of water,,,,and while holding it under the water, gently squeeze each one,,,,if you see bubbles,,,you got a leak,,,,,,,,

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:09 pm