VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

Engine/Tranny Swap

kawadawg
    kawadawg

Number of posts : 24
    Registration date : 2012-06-01

Engine/Tranny Swap Empty Engine/Tranny Swap

Post by kawadawg Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:23 am

I need help and advice on changing the motor and tranny in my 1961 Ford Econoline pickup. It is currently a 144CI with a 3 speed tranny. I wish to replace these with a 200CI and an automatic transmission. Can anyone guide me on what all I may need to accomplish this?

Engine/Tranny Swap Empty Re: Engine/Tranny Swap

Post by Guest Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:25 pm

I don't know a whole lot about what auto tranny's are available, but I do know that you'll want to look for one of the newer 200's. The 200's made after 67 are set up for two different bell housings which will open up your choices for transmissions. The post 67 200's also have 7 main bearings instead of 4 which will decrease vibrate and increase durability.

There are some 200's that accept the small block v8 transmissions. These are much rarer and weren't made until 79 or 80.

I'd highly recommend asking at the fordsix forum as well ( http://fordsix.com/forum/ )

These guys just know more about the motors and transmissions available. Us van guys aren't all that smart.

I've heard mixed reports on putting a 200 in the earlier vans. The motors on the early Econolines (pre 64 i think) just mount to a couple thin metal tabs as opposed to the proper engine crossmembers on the later vans. Some people claim a 200 is too powerful and could bend the frame. Others seem to have no problem. I decided to err on the side of safety and I'm currently in the middle of putting a 170 in my 62 panel van.

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 10:35 am