VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

Help testing generator output 61 econoline

Magic Bus
    Magic Bus

Number of posts : 1422
    Registration date : 2009-12-02

Help testing generator output 61 econoline Empty Help testing generator output 61 econoline

Post by Magic Bus Thu May 24, 2012 6:57 am

Gen light came on, no output at battery, anybody know which wire to test on the generator or the voltage regulator to determine which is at fault?

I used to be able to diagnose the old alt system by jumping f+a. Or f+3 at the regulator depending on the system but I'm lost on my 61 and don't currently have a shop manual for it.

It's a factory generator with a seperate regulator

I know I could go a 1 wire alternator as I did that on my van, just looking for diagnostic help
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Help testing generator output 61 econoline Empty Re: Help testing generator output 61 econoline

Post by donivan65 Thu May 24, 2012 7:20 am

Well,,,the Field wire on generator turns it on and then the current flows out the Armature wire to the voltage regulator which connects it to the Battery,,,,,,so put a voltmeter on the A terminal,,,,,touch some battery to the F terminal to see if the generator is putting anything out,,,,or it may need to be polarized again or the brushes are worn out,,,or the regulator is dead or the wiring is bad,,,,,
    Magic Bus
    Magic Bus

Help testing generator output 61 econoline Empty Re: Help testing generator output 61 econoline

Post by Magic Bus Thu May 24, 2012 11:11 am

Governer,

Thanks, so f is power from the battery right?

Then while running there should be higher than batt voltage coming out of A terminal... And the other terminal is ground?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu May 24, 2012 6:16 pm

F on the regulator terminal, takes juice from the battery terminal on the regulator and sends it down to the F terminal on the generator,,,,and if the generator is working, it sends juice back up to the A terminal on the regulator and the regulator hooks A to B and the battery gets what the generator puts out,,,,,,there are no ground wires,,,,they all are 12 volts or turn into 12 volts`if the system is working,,,,,so send 12 volts to that F terminal on the generator then the A terminal should show voltage and if the regulator is working,,,,it should send the A voltage to the B terminal on the regulator,,,,,and be checking if those 3 wires are not broken,,
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu May 24, 2012 6:59 pm

Testing Generator output
    You can bypass the voltage regulator and make the generator go to full output. Disconnect the wires at the voltage regulator and then temporary hook the field wire to the battery wire. Hook the volt meeter to the battery and bring the engine up to about 1500 rpm's. Should put out 30-35 amps and the voltage should be anywhere from 14.5 to 18 volts
    Magic Bus
    Magic Bus

Post by Magic Bus Sat May 26, 2012 3:59 pm

Thanks for the details, the generator was not putting out, so its in my buddys shop getting rebuilt!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 9:12 am