VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

shifting to automatic???

shifting to automatic??? Empty shifting to automatic???

Post by Guest Thu May 03, 2012 7:45 pm

hey everyone,

i was thinking about mayby changing my standard shift to automatic, you know so the lady could drive it and also in the traffic(drivers from hell here!!), i'm only in the process of thinking and planning,so if its worth the effort i'll do it before making any major change to rear axle , anyone did this before? does the tranny lenght will affect the driven shaft lenght? is there many models of auto trans for our vans? you know that kind of stuff.

thank you for any inputs..corrosive

BTW i had my van evaluated 2 weeks ago, a nice original one go for 10 to 12k$ around here, mine went for 7.5k$ at this time(not finish) and not the original engine and wheels, so i was happy!!
    Stoopid john
    Stoopid john

Number of posts : 265
    Registration date : 2011-06-03

shifting to automatic??? Empty Re: shifting to automatic???

Post by Stoopid john Fri May 04, 2012 5:09 pm

I've been gathering parts to swap mine, i can't stand the grind going into 1st gear any longer.

If its a 100 you don't have many options, other than stock style short tail shaft/mount.

I've got a 108 and i got a 904 tranny out of a 72 duster, org shifter off ebay and i'll use the duster drive shaft that has a slip yoke. I bought a tranny cooler that i will mount under the van. I also picked up a kick down cable that will ease the fit to my 4 barrel. I'm going to use a crossmember out of a 90's dodge van, it looks like a nice fit.

Mine is a slant 6, i drive it everyday and i have to plan this out so i can do it in a day.

jkr
    jkr

Number of posts : 1148
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by jkr Sat May 05, 2012 12:34 pm

904 transmissions did not come in a-series vans and trucks. all that i ever saw were 727. and the output shaft and tailshaft from a 727 will be different and not compatible with the 904. even the slant six had a 727 case or utlized the adapter plate to relocate the starter. wish i had kept my 727 slant six case 727. they were kinda hard to come by.

Post by Guest Sat May 05, 2012 7:51 pm

when i bought my super six, it went with the tranny, kickdown and acc cabls, had it in the garage more than a year trying to find a taker, cause it was in excellente condition, but i needed space badly (and no taker even free) sold it for scrap metal Rolling Eyes and now i know i'll need a cross member,shifter kit,and find the proper short shaft cause i have the 100 ..hey stoopidejohn, if you could post some picts , i'll be watching over your shoulder(i know your good at this Very Happy ).i think i'll suffer the 3 on the tree for now...corrosive

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 1:03 pm