VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+8
Army of Six
Big W
Hellfish
Magic Bus
Sy Hollinshead
Old Skool
Smallblockbug
ahearse
12 posters

Need Radiator

ahearse
    ahearse

Number of posts : 9
    Registration date : 2011-05-11

Need Radiator Empty Need Radiator

Post by ahearse Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:21 pm

I'm looking for a new radiator for my sons '67 econoline. Saw one on ebay for $195.00, all aluminum. I think it's a Champion brand. Does anyone have this in their van and how well does it work. I had the old radiator serviced previously and he said it can't be fixed again if something else goes wrong. The radiator has two very small pin-holes at top part of core, so now i'm in search for a new one. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Dave
    Smallblockbug
    Smallblockbug

Number of posts : 233
    Registration date : 2011-01-27

Need Radiator Empty Re: Need Radiator

Post by Smallblockbug Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:24 pm

have the shop take the mounts off of a 66 mustang 200 radiator and have yours put on in there place. Had mine done last year.
    ahearse
    ahearse

Post by ahearse Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:01 pm

Hey, thanks alot. That will give me more options in choosing a radiator also.
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1306
    Registration date : 2009-06-13

Post by Old Skool Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:34 pm

Several problems, 1stly,, if yours is a 240, the Mustang radiator is about 4" less in height. The mounts are backwards but that is not a big deal to handle.
    vic
    Sy Hollinshead
    Sy Hollinshead

Number of posts : 466
    Registration date : 2008-10-11

Post by Sy Hollinshead Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:21 pm

I bought one of the champion ones off ebay and it fits really well. I went for the 4 core one, and fitted an electric fan at the same time. I am now running it without the mechanical fan which seems to be ok so far, although summer is a way off yet...!!
    Magic Bus
    Magic Bus

Number of posts : 1422
    Registration date : 2009-12-02

Post by Magic Bus Tue May 01, 2012 5:18 am

This is the one I used on my 170....Not sure but Im guessing the one for the 240 is bigger?

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Radiator-Ready-Rad_19920539-P_31_R%7CGRPCOOLAMS____#fragment-2

The application is a 65 mustang 200 6 cyl w/ac...Its a 3 row, brass.. The brackets have to be reversed or use spacers, either way it works good on the 144, 170 and 200 6 cylinders.

I believe the manufacturer is spectra.. I bought it brand new from a local carquest for around $147
    Hellfish

Number of posts : 146
    Registration date : 2011-03-01

Post by Hellfish Tue May 01, 2012 7:15 am

I used a regular brass Mustang 6cyl radiator when I had a 170 in my 65. I flipped the mounting flanges and it worked great, and was closer to $100. IIRC I got it from radiatorsusa.com, but that was 6 years ago or so.
    ahearse
    ahearse

Post by ahearse Tue May 01, 2012 7:13 pm

I have the 240 six. The upper and lower hoses are on the right side of radiator. I called the guy with the aluminum rad. He gave me a part # cc259 and said this radiator has the holes on the right side and has the larger size hoses, 1 1/2 top and 1 3/4 bottom. The other rad is part # 251-3AA , this is for the 65 to 66 mustang 170, 200 with the smaller hoses. I thought I'd put that out there just in case someone is interested in doing the same thing. I think it makes a difference in which engine you have 170, 200, or 240. I would have to make brackets to fit from the rad to the existing support which isn't to bad . Thanks for everyone's help again. It's greatly appreciated.
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Post by Big W Tue May 01, 2012 8:11 pm

I took my 240 rad to the rad shop and had him put the top and bottom tanks on a new 3 core and also put stock brackets on and moved the top hose over to the left. Need Radiator Dsc00210. Works very well. If you have a the tanks that's what I would suggest.
    Army of Six
    Army of Six

Number of posts : 241
    Registration date : 2010-10-02

Post by Army of Six Tue May 01, 2012 8:20 pm

ahearse wrote:I have the 240 six. The upper and lower hoses are on the right side of radiator. I called the guy with the aluminum rad. He gave me a part # cc259 and said this radiator has the holes on the right side and has the larger size hoses, 1 1/2 top and 1 3/4 bottom. The other rad is part # 251-3AA , this is for the 65 to 66 mustang 170, 200 with the smaller hoses. I thought I'd put that out there just in case someone is interested in doing the same thing. I think it makes a difference in which engine you have 170, 200, or 240. I would have to make brackets to fit from the rad to the existing support which isn't to bad . Thanks for everyone's help again. It's greatly appreciated.

thats the one i bought (cc259) for my 67 240cu and i fit like shit. had to cut, trim and jimmy rig a bracket to get it to mount up. that being said it did a great job cooling. also, the trans cooler fitting are very small...as in i cant see how that wont choke the trans fluid flow.
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Post by Old Skool Tue May 01, 2012 9:37 pm

Here is the Champion that will be going. Using their fan and shroud on this setup. To reverse the mounting, I used aluminum channel, and bolted each side so as to not squash it when tightened. Very dissapointed in the air flow and will be replacing this one with a four core 240, the Taurus 4500 CFM fan and factory shroud as it fits perfectly. Also the 3G alternator. Keeping the short nosed water pump and using a new serp belt setup to support the AMP load of the fan and the remote trans cooler fan setup.
    vic/socal

Need Radiator 100_1223

Need Radiator 100_1224

Need Radiator 100_1145

Need Radiator 110
    Hellfish

Number of posts : 146
    Registration date : 2011-03-01

Post by Hellfish Wed May 02, 2012 7:09 am

I'm using an aluminum radiator about the size of the stock 6cyl radiator, but I think it has more rows, with a SPAL electric fan. My 302 hasn't gotten over 190* even when outside temps were around 95*
    score602
    score602

Number of posts : 140
    Registration date : 2010-04-05

Post by score602 Wed May 02, 2012 7:18 am

spal fans are the sh!t
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Post by Old Skool Wed May 02, 2012 7:23 am

The Taurus fan is shallow, two speeds, and puts out more CFM than any other fan I have looked at. They cost about $35 dollars at the bone yard, and have an integral shroud for free. The just happen to fit the taller 240 radiator perfectly,,, hard to beat that one. I haven't found any SPAL fans with anything over 3300 CFM, and much more money and do not have a shroud... just an observation..
    vic/so cal
    Vanner63
    Vanner63

Number of posts : 235
    Registration date : 2010-11-11

Post by Vanner63 Wed May 02, 2012 7:28 pm

Get a 1965 Mustang 6cyl. radiator from Advance Auto parts. Flip the mounting bracket around and you have an original Econoline radiator, and its 3 row.
    Big W
    Big W

Post by Big W Wed May 02, 2012 9:52 pm

Taurus Fan on a 240 rad..Need Radiator Dsc00211...Fits like a glove and pulls a lot of air
    OldSkoolVannin
    OldSkoolVannin

Number of posts : 51
    Registration date : 2011-11-19

Post by OldSkoolVannin Thu May 03, 2012 4:24 am

Any opinion on if it would be a good idea to switch the electrical connections in any way to reverse the rotation of the fan motor so you can mount an electric fan like this to the front of the radiator while leaving the fan on the engine in place?
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Post by Old Skool Thu May 03, 2012 7:45 am

Pusher fans will help and probably have been the most used for a long time. Some fans units are "reversible" either by turning the fan over to reverse it and or reversing the polarity. Most turning the fan over. Some fans also not reversible.
    Using the factory mechanical steel six bladed fan instead of the smaller four bladed fan also helping. Ford also made two different Econoline factory two piece shrouds. flower One for the taller 240 height and one for the shorter 170 height. The picture of the two piece fiberglass shrouds is one I made years ago using foam to make a mold.
    Keep in mind, any auxiliary fan will increase the AMP load on the charging system. If already taxed it can cause a battery that is marginal to not fully charge Evil or Very Mad , depending on other accessories you may want to and or are already running. The larger the CFM, the larger the load. The reason a bounce 3G alternator can be a good upgrade choice with 90 AMPS at idle.
    Using any auxiliary fan will help the air flow at idle, scratch geek meaning when stuck in stop and go traffic with no air flow through the belly pan.

vic
    Need Radiator 100_1610
    affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid
    Need Radiator 14a9_110

Need Radiator 100_0011

Linoman
    Linoman

Number of posts : 329
    Registration date : 2010-06-14

Post by Linoman Thu May 03, 2012 12:00 pm

What years of Taurus' had the 2-speed van? Thanks
    Big W
    Big W

Post by Big W Thu May 03, 2012 9:09 pm

I found my fan in a 90's Taurus wagon 3.8L with air conditioning. Also came with 30amp breaker. Take as much of the harness you can get. This will help later when running wire to battery and temp switch on the engine. Mine had only one speed..FAST! But make sure the donor vehicle has air. I found a smaller fan (less blades) from a Taurus that did not have air conditioning...In my opinion you don't want that one as it doesn't pull as much air. I am also running a V-8 and want max air flow.
    Linoman
    Linoman

Number of posts : 329
    Registration date : 2010-06-14

Post by Linoman Fri May 04, 2012 2:00 am

Thanks Big W, if it doesn't rain tomorrow I'm hoping to go find one at the local auto parts yard.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 7:29 am