VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

will it work?

will  it  work? Empty will it work?

Post by Guest Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:10 pm

i got a 65 econo with a 3 on the tree 200/ 6 in it. what would i have to do to put 460 in it. also have automatic trans with it. i know it will be long shot but you never know till you ask.
    RipVanArkie
    RipVanArkie

Number of posts : 987
    Registration date : 2008-05-13

will  it  work? Empty Re: will it work?

Post by RipVanArkie Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:34 pm

Beef up the front susp, install 67-70 Chevy V8 doghouse (or fab a new one), mod your Xmember with mounts for your engine, build a Xmember for your trans, you might want a trans cooler as the rad alone might not cool well enough for the engine and trans, get a 9" rear end, replace your shift rods with a cable to the trans, upgrade your braking system...

That would be a start...

I havent started my V8 swap yet but those are some of the steps I'm planning to take.

Share pics as you go!

Good Luck,
    Rip

Post by Guest Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:16 pm

RipVanArkie wrote:Beef up the front susp, install 67-70 Chevy V8 doghouse (or fab a new one), mod your Xmember with mounts for your engine, build a Xmember for your trans, you might want a trans cooler as the rad alone might not cool well enough for the engine and trans, get a 9" rear end, replace your shift rods with a cable to the trans, upgrade your braking system...

That would be a start...

I havent started my V8 swap yet but those are some of the steps I'm planning to take.

Share pics as you go!

Good Luck,
    Rip
    if i decide not to go that route. is there a a modern day engine that will be easy replacement for 200. that wiil hookup to the 200 trans

Post by Guest Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:22 pm

slyd wrote:
    RipVanArkie wrote:Beef up the front susp, install 67-70 Chevy V8 doghouse (or fab a new one), mod your Xmember with mounts for your engine, build a Xmember for your trans, you might want a trans cooler as the rad alone might not cool well enough for the engine and trans, get a 9" rear end, replace your shift rods with a cable to the trans, upgrade your braking system...

That would be a start...

Share pics as you go!

Good Luck,
    Rip
    if i decide not to go that route. is there a a modern day engine that will be easy replacement for 200. that wiil hookup to the 200 trans
    i also found a site called marks econoline that had pic and graphs on putting v8 in place of 6. also a lot of econo pics may help you or more van fans

Post by Guest Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:43 pm

why don't you just build the 200. Clifford performance has everything you need to get up to 450 pounds of torque and 300 hp out of your 200. I just put a 200 in my 65 Econo with Clifford parts. cliffordperformance.net. Use their Bronco headers as they are the only ones that clear the crossmember. They have a great cam, four barrel setup and even throttlebody injection kits available.
    RipVanArkie
    RipVanArkie

Number of posts : 987
    Registration date : 2008-05-13

Post by RipVanArkie Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:46 pm

vanishingbreed wrote:why don't you just build the 200. Clifford performance has everything you need to get up to 450 pounds of torque and 300 hp out of your 200. I just put a 200 in my 65 Econo with Clifford parts. cliffordperformance.net. Use their Bronco headers as they are the only ones that clear the crossmember. They have a great cam, four barrel setup and even throttlebody injection kits available.

I concur.

The 200 IS a modern engine, if you want more power from it you need to make it breathe better.

Later,
    Rip
    southern man
    southern man

Number of posts : 486
    Registration date : 2008-05-21

Post by southern man Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:55 pm

I too have a 200 in my '64. I thought about putting a 289 or 302 into it, but really that rumbling V8 sound is what I crave more than the HP.

Any way to get close on a 200 with headers and a tuned exhaust? What exhaust would anyone recommend?

Post by Guest Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:11 pm

Put a 264 cam in your 200. Get it from Clifford performance, then add a set of Clifford headers and two Delta Force single Chamber racing mufflers to it and zoomies and it will sound like a 347 stroker if its sound you want. I did that and mine sounds just like the 347 stroker in Vanishing Breed. You can't tell the two apart from the sound alone. Not only will you get the sound you'll get better performance too with good milage to top it off.

Last edited by vanishingbreed on Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post by Guest Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:22 pm

Here's a link to the Delta Force Racing mufflers on ebay. The muffler is approximately 5" long and 10" wide. Gives a great sound since it is a single chamber muffler. I used them on Vanishing Breed and am using them on my 65 Econo with a 200 motor. keep an eye out on ebay for them as they sometimes sell for $45.00 each. That is what I paid for the ones on my 65 recently.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Flowmaster-325408-Muffler-Race-Delta-Force-40-Series_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33636QQihZ024QQitemZ370138004711QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Post by Guest Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:30 pm

southern man
    southern man

Number of posts : 486
    Registration date : 2008-05-21

Post by southern man Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:31 pm

VB. Thanks for the links! The mufflers and headers may just get me on my way. Maybe the cam kit down the road. Thanks again!

Post by Guest Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:32 pm

always glad to help.

Post by Guest Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:37 pm

Check out this site for HP Inline 6 parts.

http://www.classicinlines.com/

Mike has a new aluminum head for the I6.

Post by Guest Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:39 pm

Classic inline s is almost always out of stock when it comes to parts for Econos. Plus none of their headers will fit an Econo since they don't clear the cross member. The only really nice thing they have is the aluminum head with separate aluminum manifold. Their DUI distributor is nice but very pricey. I wanted to use their parts on my 200 but after waiting for 6 months and they were still out of stock I went with Clifford 6=8. No problem geting parts from them at all and they really know their stuff when it comes to inline six motors

Post by Guest Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:38 am

i've been thinking about this too, i dont want to add anything to the engine,(as of now) i have a 200 and im looking for some "cool" sound... i dont want it too agresive but i want a nice rumble to it.... a friend told me about the cherry bombs, but when i went to the store the guy told me that those are for 8cyl engines, and that it wont work on a 6 cyl.. so here is my question, what can i use for this van?
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by sasktrini Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:04 am

beanses wrote: a friend told me about the cherry bombs, but when i went to the store the guy told me that those are for 8cyl engines, and that it wont work on a 6 cyl.. so here is my question, what can i use for this van?

Why couldn't you use an "8 cyl" Cherry Bomb on an I6? That's the strangest thing I've ever heard. Is this for real?

Post by Guest Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:29 am

we used cherry bombs all the time on inline sixes back in the 70s

Post by Guest Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:40 am

then should i just buy it and ignore the store clerk, is there a better option, better quality, i've been doing some 'research' and there are many options to choose, the thrush, flowmaster, cherry bomb, im looking for something that will last, its budget friendly and its not to rough for the neighbors haha but still a nice rumble, the muff thats on right now is busted, thats why i want to replace...
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:33 pm

Never heard of such crap. Cherry bombs will work on even a 4 cyl

Post by Guest Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:25 pm

im thinking of getting that smaller 12" cherry bomb muff..
    and im doing a little research about mufflers and the piping..
    some people say that the longer the pipe between the muff and the engine the deeper the sound..
    while others say that the longer the tail the better sound..
    any thoughts??
    crazee

Number of posts : 331
    Registration date : 2009-02-24

Post by crazee Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:16 pm

Didn't know they still made Cherry Bombs.

YOU CAN BOLT THEM TO ANYTHING..........the store clerk is 101% clueless. (wonders never cease) Razz

In the "olden days" we would take Cherry Bombs and heat them with a torch till red hot...........then dunk em in a tub of cold water. This would shatter the fiberglass guts and you could shake em out the end after.
    This made the Cherry Bomb into a virtual straight pipe. We would then re-paint them with red header paint.........bolt em to the header and presto......INSTANT STRAIGHT PIPES.

WHY???????

Because the cops would pull you over and look and see mufflers.......so no ticket!
    LOL

I ran em like that on my old GTX, 69 Z, 65 El Camino (with 250 inline six) & a few old Chevelles..............worked everytime for years ( until I figured out NOISE don't get ya home or make ya run better).

An old 70's war story............<wink>

Post by Guest Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:45 am

well i ran into a cherry bomb turbo muffler.
    has anyone tried these before?

Post by Guest Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:16 pm

i hooked it up and it sounds decent.
    now the next question, i want to take the tip to the back..
    whats the best aproach to do this..
    laying pipe all the way to the back and putting the muffler there and then a tip, or leaving the muffler where it is and put a long tail on it..

what are the risks of having the hot muffler next to the gas tank?
    will the muffler all the way to the back reduce noise inside, or will it be the same no matter the location of the muffler?

thanks

Post by Guest Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:35 pm

crazee wrote:Didn't know they still made Cherry Bombs.

YOU CAN BOLT THEM TO ANYTHING..........the store clerk is 101% clueless. (wonders never cease) Razz

In the "olden days" we would take Cherry Bombs and heat them with a torch till red hot...........then dunk em in a tub of cold water. This would shatter the fiberglass guts and you could shake em out the end after.
    This made the Cherry Bomb into a virtual straight pipe. We would then re-paint them with red header paint.........bolt em to the header and presto......INSTANT STRAIGHT PIPES.

WHY???????

Because the cops would pull you over and look and see mufflers.......so no ticket!
    LOL

I ran em like that on my old GTX, 69 Z, 65 El Camino (with 250 inline six) & a few old Chevelles..............worked everytime for years ( until I figured out NOISE don't get ya home or make ya run better).

Here in Cali glass packs, are illegal, actually anything but stock is illegal. The same goes for tires, tail lights, headlights etc but only the CHPs enforce it and not very often. I got many tickets for cherry bombs back in the 70s. I have seen cops measure the height of a car and if it was even 1" higher or lower than stock they wrote you a ticket. Also had a friend put smaller tail light lenses on his van and a cop measured them and wrote him a ticket for being smaller in diameter than stock. Here that law is any modification is illegal. I once got a $200.00 ticket for not having covers on my off road lights and it was daylight and the lights were off. Most cops aren't that picky nor do they have the time to bother with ticketing for such things but if they don't like you they will in a minute.
    crazee

Number of posts : 331
    Registration date : 2009-02-24

Post by crazee Mon May 04, 2009 10:48 am

vanishingbreed wrote:
    crazee wrote:Didn't know they still made Cherry Bombs.

WHY???????

LOL

Here in Cali glass packs, are illegal, actually anything but stock is illegal. The same goes for tires, tail lights, headlights etc but only the CHPs enforce it and not very often. I got many tickets for cherry bombs back in the 70s. I have seen cops measure the height of a car and if it was even 1" higher or lower than stock they wrote you a ticket. Also had a friend put smaller tail light lenses on his van and a cop measured them and wrote him a ticket for being smaller in diameter than stock. Here that law is any modification is illegal. I once got a $200.00 ticket for not having covers on my off road lights and it was daylight and the lights were off. Most cops aren't that picky nor do they have the time to bother with ticketing for such things but if they don't like you they will in a minute.

Yeah...........I always noticed that even though California is "SUPPOSED TO BE" an "Enlightened" place.....................it sure seemed like a friggin police state a lot of times to me when I lived there.

Too many really invasive laws and way too many donut eaters with attitudes. I always prefered California most once you got north of Frisco.

But I guess a big state like that with all it's issues has a shit load to deal with.......( fruit cakes everywhere....earthquakes, fires, mudslides, smog, traffic ,mountains lions with a sweet tooth for joggers......and the worse part----> TOURISTS FROM EVERYWHERE!!! Shocked )

WHY I LIVE in good old Appalachia where they just don't a shit. ( remember the old Temptations song, Ball of Confusion?...... " hippies moving to the hills" )

LOL

As an example I have a Subaru Outback with nothing "out back" as we cut the roof and sides off from the fronts seats back to make a pick up...........patched glass pack for a muffler......toggle switches all over the dash .....etc..........etc........ YET---> TAGGED & INSURED!

Cops just smile when they see it............... tongue

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 11:29 pm