VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
austinmodhouse
Lazarusvan
6 posters

Looks like a lot of work

Looks like a lot of work Empty Looks like a lot of work

Post by Guest Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:52 am

New to the site. It's been over 30 years since I have owned a G10 but I have been passing this one for the last two weeks and started to get the bug. Told myself to give it a week so that the reality of the project would set in. It has and I think this is just too much work. I would appreciate the toughts of the group. Thanks.........Robobike2

http://www.kodakgallery.com/gallery/sharing/shareRedirectSwitchBoard.jsp?token=693765577212%3A66665723&sourceId=533754321803&cm_mmc=Share-_-Personal-_-shareCopyLink-_-Sharer-_-Top
    Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Number of posts : 1293
    Registration date : 2011-02-22

Looks like a lot of work Empty Re: Looks like a lot of work

Post by Lazarusvan Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:07 am

robobike2 wrote:New to the site. It's been over 30 years since I have owned a G10 but I have been passing this one for the last two weeks and started to get the bug. Told myself to give it a week so that the reality of the project would set in. It has and I think this is just too much work. I would appreciate the toughts of the group. Thanks.........Robobike2

http://www.kodakgallery.com/gallery/sharing/shareRedirectSwitchBoard.jsp?token=693765577212%3A66665723&sourceId=533754321803&cm_mmc=Share-_-Personal-_-shareCopyLink-_-Sharer-_-Top

Welcome! I'm not expert on restoration and am very new to the vintage vehicle world, but I've looked at just about every Chevy 1st Gen that's come down the pipe over the past 7-8 months. There is plenty of work there and the price even now still seems high to me. Half or less the asking price if you are willing to take on the challenge seems reasonable. One in running condition with various rust just sold for $850 (or that was the asking price.) It was in Florida/South where these are far less plentiful than out West or the Middle of the Country. The best advice I was given was find one with a good body. There are many others here who will chime in that truly know the time involved.

East Coast vans are tougher to find but ones in better shape will come along.

Unless you are into spending a ton of money and doing a ton of work, keep the "bug" and look for one with a solid body. You found the right place!

Last edited by Lazarusvan on Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:58 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : typo)

Post by Guest Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:54 am

Being a rookie with marginal skills required to restore a van, looks like alot of work - the roof in general would take a significant amount of effort to repair. Although these vans are not all that common, I think you could find a better starting point van that this one. Good Luck!
    austinmodhouse
    austinmodhouse

Number of posts : 575
    Registration date : 2010-07-30

Post by austinmodhouse Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:48 am

ya know, the dent in the roof doesn’t scare me that much. I’d be more concerned about rust.

here is what I’d do about the roof, fasten a 2x6 at the low point of the dip inside, make get some 2x4 studs to line up w/ the ribs, then a bottom plate 2x4 with enough room to fit two hydraulic bottle jacks. slowly start raising the jacks… when it pops back up, reinforce the ribs and move on. it may never look perfect, but rarely is the roof going to be seen. you can cover the inside w/ interior panel…

did that sign say $200 obo? if he’s asking 2k, I’d think an extreme lowball offer would be appropriate.

Last edited by austinmodhouse on Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:48 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : teh=the)

Post by Guest Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:10 am

austinmodhouse wrote:

did that sign say $200 obo? if he’s asking 2k, I’d think an extreme lowball offer would be appropriate.

$700 or BO. I was going to offer $400.
    63chevyvan?

Number of posts : 125
    Registration date : 2010-01-16

Post by 63chevyvan? Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:23 am

Parts vehicle.

Post by Guest Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:33 am

Welcome. I agree with 63chevyvan
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:50 am

Welcome!!!! Glad you want a early van, but maybe this isn't the one for you. If you can do the body work yourself I say maybe. But if you can't and the cost of that you'll be better off waiting for something with a little less work. A good body is the key for buying a early van
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:53 pm

I'd say 400$ is OK maybe even 500, but it's a project for sure. The roof isnt scary at all (to me anyway). Doors can be replaced. If you have the tools the time and can keep the work fun ( for a couple years) I'd go for it. but I'm from MI, that looks almost Cherry around these parts. cherry If you have to hire out the work, No Way.
    Spots to watch, where the ribs meet the floor at door openings and by the wheel wells, spring mounts, front A pillars and above the doors on the inside, and if its going to be a ressurection or a restoration, Id pass or use for parts if a restored vehichle is the goal. JM2C
    EconoCarl
    EconoCarl

Number of posts : 1109
    Registration date : 2008-05-19

Post by EconoCarl Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:56 pm

I agree with G-Man. The transport fees to get a dry climate van are a lot less than rust repair! My Econoline came from Northern (Oroville) California without any rust issues.

Post by Guest Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:08 am

Thanks for all the comments. I think I will keep looking.

Robobike2

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 10:25 am