VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
scarlin
fyrchief65
6 posters

Drive Shaft

fyrchief65
    fyrchief65

Number of posts : 9
    Registration date : 2010-10-12

Drive Shaft Empty Drive Shaft

Post by fyrchief65 Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:20 am

I am in the process of changing my peanut rear-end out and replacing it with a 9" rear-end. Has anyone replaced the small yoke on the original drive shaft with one to accept the larger u-joint for the 9"? Any suggestions?
    scarlin
    scarlin

Number of posts : 258
    Registration date : 2012-01-25

Drive Shaft Empty Re: Drive Shaft

Post by scarlin Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:09 pm

Did you get the drive shaft with your new 9". A good machine shop can put the 2 different U joints together. Make sure it gets balanced. I broke my drive shaft years ago, I have a 289 in the 66 Falcon with a 9".
    I have a 9" for my 67 PU with the small rear so I'll be doing this again, but I have good shops here and the drive shaft.
    fyrchief65
    fyrchief65

Post by fyrchief65 Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:18 am

Thanks for the reply, I found a shop in Fort Worth that will change the yoke out and balance the shaft so I think I am good to go. I ended up changing the ring gear and pinion out (rusty), all new bearings and seals, had to order the u-bolts and plates. This was not as simple as I thought, but the change from 4:11 to 3:50 ratio should let me drive down the highway at 65 without the engine screaming.
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1306
    Registration date : 2009-06-13

Post by Old Skool Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:15 am

The 63 and 64 H/D's have the "rare bear" shaft. You can also exchange a large u-joint output yoke on the tranny and get the easier to find drive shaft with both larger u joints. keep in mind auto or manual.
    vic
    Slowride

Number of posts : 67
    Registration date : 2009-02-17

Post by Slowride Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:44 am

When we switched to the 9", we had a driveline shop build a shaft reusing the splined extension shaft. New u-joints, tube and large yoke balanced for $150 as I remember.
    fyrchief65
    fyrchief65

Post by fyrchief65 Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:08 am

Thanks for the feedback. I have a better idea of what look for and some plans. I am looking forward to being able to drive down the highway at 65 mph.
    fyrchief65
    fyrchief65

Post by fyrchief65 Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:32 pm

The drive shaft I needed showed up on e-bay today and I bought it! Problem solve. Sometimes you just get lucky. Also, I looked at 3 Econoline vans yesterday in Fort Worth. There were 2 67's and one 63. They are headed to Mr. Ed's salavage yard. There were 2 window vans and one panel all were small rear ends, losts of usable parts.
    dan nachel
    dan nachel

Number of posts : 394
    Registration date : 2012-01-24

Post by dan nachel Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:46 pm

If the 2 67's have master cylinders in them, you need to get them.
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Post by Old Skool Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:25 pm

The 67 Masters are ALWAYS good to get. The brake pedal is also matches it and is different than the 61 to 67's, along with the also different and matching eccentric adjustment bolt, brake light switch and two white plastic switch covers. If you don't want those and can get them, I sell re sleeved and rebuilt 67 masters and parts, so I would be very much interested in them for cores.
    Also, If either of them have 240's in them, the top and bottom tanks to the radiators are not available anymore, even if the cores are trash, let him take the cores for the copper, and get the tanks and mounting brackets, ALSO of course the 9" rear axles and FOR SURE any complete 240 gas pedal setups as they are perfect for the V8 throttle cables I make and sell for the V8's....
    If you want to get them and sell them, please PM me with prices..
    vic
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Post by Old Skool Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:26 pm

should have read the 61 to 66 pedals are different than the 67 pedals and eccentrics,, sorry...
    vic
    MikeShums
    MikeShums

Number of posts : 116
    Registration date : 2010-10-14

Post by MikeShums Mon May 21, 2012 12:09 pm

Good to hear you found a solution. I just did this switch from the small to the 9" and went from 4.00 gears to 3.00. I think I'd prefer the 3.50 but i can't complain too much. Now I need more hp to get this thing moving. no trailers for me right now!
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Post by Old Skool Mon May 21, 2012 12:16 pm

Mike,,, not sure what engine you have, trying to follow the thread a little bit back? anyways,, 3:00's are good for a STOUT 300, or a small block, hspwr = gearing.... like you said. For good running small six I pretty much always tell all mine the 3:50's,,, lessor hspwr needing a little pulling power help, 3:25's for no weight, no hills and cruising... Just my nickel...
    vic
    MikeShums
    MikeShums

Post by MikeShums Mon May 21, 2012 12:24 pm

Vic, I got a 170! I'm getting a 200 but fear that I might need to search out a 3.5 pumpkin...

The funny part is that I have the orginal 4.0 speedo gears and so 40mph on the dash is something like 55!
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Post by Old Skool Mon May 21, 2012 12:44 pm

Mike,,, I can get 3rds in both sets pretty much at whim, yards here are about $85 as it goes, the usual pull it myself...4:00's don't sell real quick at the swap meets, but can usually get rid of them if I don't have too many of them.
    Then usually only get about $125 at the most.
    The GENII's most common gearing is 3:25, with an occasional 3:50.
    STOUT 200!!! recommend the 25's with no weight, should run sweet down the highway, may have to work 2nd up hills a little bit depending on the hill..

vic
    MikeShums
    MikeShums

Post by MikeShums Thu May 24, 2012 7:04 am

I need to set up some time with Fred in RI and I'll talk it over with him. I will probably always be 60% in town and 40% highway and be in New England so maybe a 3.50 is best for me. It's a window van and I don't suspect I'll ever be hauling anything so the weight should be pretty light most of the time.

Mike

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:25 am