VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

wheel sizes for early econoline?

wheel sizes for early econoline? Empty wheel sizes for early econoline?

Post by Guest Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:56 pm

i just bought another econoline van after having one 30 years ago
    i was wondering can someone tell me what are the reasonable wheel sizes to get
    dont want go any larger than 17, not sure what widths and offsets are most often used with out modifications
    thanks

wheel sizes for early econoline? Empty not sure wha no wheel size answers, but i have found out sme info

Post by Guest Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:34 am

i know my 14x6 ranger wheels fit well, look little narrow on rear
    was told by another van owner 14 and 15 x seven is a good fit depending on backspacing all the way around but can rub front lock to lock
    think 8 may be pushing it on rear unless rig is high in back

any other comments please

thanks

Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

wheel sizes for early econoline? Empty Re: wheel sizes for early econoline?

Post by Big W Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:30 am

From what I have gathered on this subject... 15 x 10 is max for the back if you want to keep your wheel inside the wheel well ( it is tight fit). 15 x 7 or 15 x 8 is good for front end clearance and good turning ability. 15 inch or 16 inch rims are great if you plan on running disc brakes later on down the road. For my self, mine will be 15x10 and 15x8 respectively. Hoping to pick them up in about 3 weeks...yee haa.
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:42 am

The latest Popular Hot Rodding mag has a section on how to measure for wheels & tires.
    These ol boxes were not held to tight tolerances, so measure YOUR wheelwells to see what will fit!
    Big W
    Big W

Post by Big W Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:01 am

I agree with Rod. Measureing is key. For me, I want the widest possable tire I can get on the back without tubbing or moving the leaf springs. When I get mine I will be using donor tires and rims from my rim and tire guy who specializes in wheels. we are going to try different sizes to see what will fit and look good for the look I am trying to get. But I think if you want a nice fitting set up you could go 15x8 all the way around and be happy with that.

Post by Guest Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:10 am

thanks guys, i am only looking for a conservitave fitment, mot pushing the envelope. but want to get a little better filling of the wheel wheels

i have rear all 22 pages of posts here and get feeling that 15x6 front 15x7 rear is a pretty nice safe fitment, or will 15x7, 15x8 work also?
    it looks like these vans are asking for a wider wheel at the rear to even out the spacing the the fender well, does this seem correct?
    also 15x7 all way around with one size larger at the rear seams to be an option
    my problem is ill probably be buying wheels with out being able to fit them first so need to do the home work
    thanks
    Big W
    Big W

Post by Big W Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:24 am

I think you would be very happy with the 15x8 rear and 15x7 front. And again 15 or 16 inch mags are a great for doing disc brake conversion down the road. I would definitely stay away from the 14's that were probably stock size. I think that 15's and 16's will also give you your best options for mag wheel design and tire combinations.
    Spank
    Spank

Number of posts : 60
    Registration date : 2010-04-15

Post by Spank Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:16 pm

I just installed cragar s/s on my 65. 15x7 rear, 15x6 front both with standard offset. There is no room to install any wider tires or wheels. 15x7 will fit on the front but they will rub at full turn.
    southern man
    southern man

Number of posts : 486
    Registration date : 2008-05-21

Post by southern man Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:26 pm

"I think you would be very happy with the 15x8 rear and 15x7 front."

That's what I run, with Cragar SS wheels. No rubbing, but I do have lower profile tires on the front. I want to lower the front a little in the future and I'll have plenty of room to drop it 2-3 inches.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:28 pm