VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

shocks question

shocks question Empty shocks question

Post by Guest Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:48 pm

hey to everybody,..... wanted to know if we can put any kind of shocks that fit under our rigs, the roads here in Quebec are pretty bad in the spring (well lets say even worst in the spring!!),so mayby it would rise it up?, and will it affect the handlig badly? is it a bad idea?...thanks for any inputs..
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

shocks question Empty Re: shocks question

Post by Twinpilot001 Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:01 pm

I am fan of overload shocks- the ones with coil springs in the outside - love them on the fronts & rears also -yet have used the air shocks on rears of many a vehicke & still do . just my 2 cents -Happy vannin
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by DanTheVanMan Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:26 pm

Got "Air Shocks" On both of mine...

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

shocks question Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-

Post by Guest Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:55 am

i'm planing a small camper so i need a smooth ride so air shocks give a smooth ride,that would be apreciated, but i'm also looking for some kind of handling, does mixing shocks (front diferent from rear) would improve or get worst, i would love the van to be higher(leafs rearching will probably do that) i know are van are everyhting in the front, so i was thinking mixing the shocks if it can be done with higher pressuer in the front than rear...just asking...thanks...corrosive
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Post by Twinpilot001 Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:17 pm

[i]Ive just always used (works good for me) both types shocks .- coil outside shocks- old skl called "Overload shocks" and Air shocks on rear. easily air adjustable for whatever load im using.never had an air shock go bad- yet the small plastic airline did blow once after 20+ years in service.Oh Well -just my luck?
    austinmodhouse
    austinmodhouse

Number of posts : 575
    Registration date : 2010-07-30

Post by austinmodhouse Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:58 pm

as for handling, if you mean cornering performance, those shocks are usually stiffer and may produce what would be considered less comfort, especially over rough roads. if you want something with greater height, I think that is addressed best using other physical methods before shocks. are you looking for more travel distance/height, like more of an off road setup?

I stick to smooth roads. I prefer bilsteins myself… and short stiff springs and beefy sway bars… but lets face it, my van is not gonna be timed on the slalom course. I just wanna haul some beer and tunes in it.

Post by Guest Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:18 am

no off road set up for me, just rise it so he would look better, for an exemple like danthevanman's van (look at the avatar)its just right.
    but before getting an apointment at the suspension shop i would like to buy the shocks and let them install them, but are van are so weird (to new mechanics), you just cant get a proper advice,there not too commun around here!!!
    air shocks seem to me a great idea, since i can play with pressur, but only in the back?? and coil shocks in the front? or four air shocks? any good brand you would recommend ?? ....corrosive
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

shocks question Empty shocks

Post by Twinpilot001 Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:38 am

[i]air=rear only - overloads (springs outerside ) front only if my memory si ok-i think dan had overloads on the rear also??

Post by Guest Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:25 pm

ok i love that idea, any brand name twinpilot?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 10:40 am