VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
Casimier
Twinpilot001
6 posters

65 PU custom

65 PU custom Empty 65 PU custom

Post by Guest Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:47 am

just want to say hello to all and happy new year! I just became a member here in the past few hrs.. Very cool website here.. I just got an old 65 ford e100 pickup and im new to these style trucks so here i am.. I got this old girl in central NJ couple days ago sitting under a pine tree near 500ft from I-95 sitting behind a ramada inn hotel.. Never thought such an old truck in this condition would be near a major hwy or commercial/industrial setting..I felt i was very lucky when the owner said i can buy it..by putting some fuel in the intake,it started and ran about 5-6 seconds without a carburetor.. So on the trailer it went and now its in my garage.. Got lots of cleaning to do and some body work on the side panel and the tail gate hinge area.. I guess my 1st part to search for is a tail gate that is in better condition than mine.. Any leads out there for a tail gate or reproduction? The tag on the door has a color code 3? What would be the color code "3" for a 65 econoline PU custom? I can see some orange under the red paint? Would this truck have been orange from the factory? thank you

65 PU custom Empty Re: 65 PU custom

Post by Guest Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:59 am

I wanted to post a pic of my new truck but forum administrator says new members are not allowed to post external links or emails for 7 days. So,in a week, i will try to post pics.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:11 am

[i]Great!! Welcome also = Well- we will wait a week then-cant wait -Happy Vannin & Pickin trukin too!!

Post by Guest Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:19 am

Hello twinpilot.. Q-Is there such a e100 PU built as a "custom or deluxe" model? The person i got this from kept telling me its a custom model..On the other hand,i also heard ford deluxe model vans & trucks were built too..
    Casimier
    Casimier

Number of posts : 864
    Registration date : 2010-07-26

Post by Casimier Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:03 am

Hey Harvest

Welcome to the site.
    I'm over here in Jackson NJ and have a 65 pickup.

If you post your vehicle SN ID the guys here will pick it up and run out the numbers for you....Tell you what plant and what month the truck was
    made along with engine and rear end gear sizes, besides the color.

Good luck with the truck...IM me when you become a member..never know when you need a part.

Jim
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:25 am

Welcome to the site!!!
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Post by Big W Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:51 am

harvest welcome to the site. The first thing that I would look at as said earlier is the ID tag on the driver door for all your info. Also these vans and trucks have a lot of interchangeable parts, especially the doors. So I would also look behind the engine doghouse, you should see a hump for the transmission under rear of dog house, and useing a wire brush or scraper, check to see if the serial number that is stamped into this floor hump matches your serial number on your door. You may need to unbolt the dog house to see it. This will insure what it is you actually have. The floor hump doesn't lie unless someone replaced the floor...lol. The truck owners will chime in soon as I am not sure if serial numbers are found in same place as the vans. If not on the hump, I found one beside the driver seat under the dog house. There is nothing worse then buying parts for the wrong year...believe me when I say "I know". As for pics you can email me your pics or someonelse and we will put into your thread here if you would like. Once you no forsure what it is we can move forward from there on parts and so on. Also don't forget to check out the members gallery and all the different threads in here, you will find a lot of great ideas and "how to's" We all look forward to seeing your new ride. Happy new year...and keep on truckin'

65 PU custom Empty pic of the 65 i got last week....i was told it may be a spring special? i'll get the numbers off the data plate hopefully today when im up at the garage to determine everything.

Post by Guest Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:34 am

65 PU custom 65_bmp21
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Post by G-Man Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:35 am

The trim tells you it is a spring special

Post by Guest Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:40 am

thank you gman...i'll get the ser # today and hopefully it matches the "spring special" from 65.. i'll look on that hump also to make sure the #'s match..
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Post by G-Man Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:58 am

I'm not a Econo guy, but the Spring Specials are one of my Fav's with the econo's. Not that I wouldn't own a Ford, just Chevy's seem to fall in my lap. LOL

Post by Guest Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:09 am

Thank you members for the welcome...Big W, the tag on the door reads E10th690646, WB90, model E100, body D87,color 3,trans A,axle 031 I searched in the spots at the dog house area and could not find any numbers... i think im in the right area, would these stamped body numbers be a small or big number set?
    toad
    toad

Number of posts : 355
    Registration date : 2010-05-30

Post by toad Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:11 am

Nice truck! Good luck getting a gate, they can cost some big bucks in good condition.
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Number of posts : 2198
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by EconoUSAparts Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:02 am

Check inside the bed area for the VIN on the brace that runs behind the tail light,usually on the passenger side but sometimes drivers side. Anyone could have added the side trim so thats not a for certain sign its a Special. It should also have a white steering wheel,a white instrument panel,and a white knob on the drivers seat adjuster.

Post by Guest Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:46 am

Yes! Serial # matches! on horizontal cross brace inside bed behind tail light passenger side. White Steering wheel..White tip handle under the drivers seat! Amazing what ya guys know and where to look for these numbers... thanks i can see orange under this red coat of paint that someone used a paintbrush. tag on door has color code 3, would the orange be factory color?

Post by Guest Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:11 am

One of my books says code 3 is Skylight Blue. But I have other books in my shop that I'll check, sometimes (rarely) they don't jive.
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Number of posts : 2198
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by EconoUSAparts Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:13 pm

You've got a true Spring Special pickup. Poppy Red is the original color. Mark refers to the 3 digit rear end code,the 1 being the extra digit. Here's the decode provided by Mark at OldEconolines yahoo group;

E10= Econoline pickup
    T= 170 six
    H= Lorain, Ohio assembly plant
    690646= May, '65 build date
    090= wheelbase
    E100= 3600 GVW pickup
    D= custom cab in beige pleated vinyl
    87= pickup body code
    3= Vermillion (Poppy) red
    A= 3 speed manual
    031= 3.50:1 ratio, 2300 lb. capacity, 7.25" rear
    It has the extra digit rear code and 'special' only color