VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

A100 Door hinges

BADBADGER
    BADBADGER

Number of posts : 246
    Registration date : 2009-05-15

A100 Door hinges Empty A100 Door hinges

Post by BADBADGER Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:47 pm

My project 67 A100 is being assembled with the doors off of three different vans. The front doors are from a 69. Up till this evening all was going well installing the door hinges and the doors. The last door to be installed is the drivers door. When I got the door inplace and snugged up the hinge bolts, and closed the door there was a large gap at the top hinge, between the door and the body. The gap is large enough to see the entire hinge bolt going into the body. So after several attempts to switch hinges and realign the door to fit better (with no success) I figured Im missing some simple thing in the way the doors and hinges are aligned. I have several sets of hinges for the front doors and cargo doors. All the cargo doors are aligned really well. The passenger side door is a perfect fit so any thoughts or suggestions on what the problem might be with the drivers door?
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

A100 Door hinges Empty Re: A100 Door hinges

Post by RodStRace Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:58 am

Is this a dry fit (before body and paint?)
    How is the gap around the rest of the door (top, bottom, back)?

If you can get the door to fit the opening well all the way around without the hinge and you are not dealing with fresh paint, you can bend the hinge. Use paint stir sticks and/or wood wedges on the inside to get the door aligned properly without the hinge. Use a vise to squeeze the hinge so it slides into the slots properly without forcing the door around. This will probably take a number of tries.

If the door doesn't fit the opening without the hinges, you are going to have to move the opening frame around to make it work. This can get tricky, especially if the opening needs to be closed up instead of spread open. You may end up using a different door.

When built, these were just thrown together and the gaps were not perfect. Add 40 years of time and swapping parts and you have to work stuff to get modern fits.
    kiwimopar
    kiwimopar

Number of posts : 744
    Registration date : 2010-01-23

Post by kiwimopar Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:52 pm

Is it something silly like two top hinges for example?

Post by Guest Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:06 pm

i paid someone to do the lower body , the guy, i've notice , put the van on the frame rail to support it, when i got the van back, i've notice the drivers door woundnt close as perfectly like it used to, it knock hard, and i had to lift the door to close it, so when i read the shop manual, it specified that the van should never be supported on the rails but on the leafs ...i've notice a big dent on the front rail, did the guy did that?, or was it there when i bought the van?? i will try rodstrace trick...
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:44 pm

Just remember that both hinges MUST pivot in the same plane. If not, it will not move smoothly and wear quickly!
    BADBADGER
    BADBADGER

Number of posts : 246
    Registration date : 2009-05-15

A100 Door hinges Empty A100 door hinges

Post by BADBADGER Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:37 am

My problem has been partially resolved. Partially because I would like to see a little less space between the front edge of the door and the body. However my solution was to remove about 1/16 inch of metal from the door directly behind the top hinge. I made two shims from 18 gauge steel and tried one first then both. The shims are inserted on the back side of the hinge face. I used new 5/16 bolts a bit longer than stock and installed the door. The shims moved the door forward in the frame lessening the space at the front of the hinge while increasing the space beteen the rear of the door and the body. It looks better and the door opens and closes with no bind.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 12:24 pm