VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Cheap LED upgrade for tail lights

score602
    score602

Number of posts : 140
    Registration date : 2010-04-05

Cheap LED upgrade for tail lights Empty Cheap LED upgrade for tail lights

Post by score602 Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:41 am

hi guys, originally i was going to make a pair of lights with individual diodes and pcb board but after really looking hard into it, its not really worth the trouble.

so instead, i got a pair of spider type bulbs that fit right in the stock sockets and when they open up they fit unbelievably well.

i then took the lenses and grinded down all the little diffuser lines. used some sandpaper to clean it up and smooth it out, then polished it clear with the foam pad from a 3m headlight resto kit.(fit perfect to neatly keep the diffuser lines around the edge in tact) by keeping the outer lines it traps the light and looks almost like a neon ring. very cool and looks even better in person!

if anyone wants me to clear a pair send me a new pair from macs! gunna try and get the front markers clear today.

heres 2 vids to show

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&Page2Disp=%2Fspecs%2F1157_LED_spider_light.htm#photos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vExlRL5p7Yo

https://www.youtube.com/user/Jbiondi602#p/a/u/1/KMiqzfc2kME
    score602
    score602

Cheap LED upgrade for tail lights Empty Re: Cheap LED upgrade for tail lights

Post by score602 Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:02 am

if anyone is interested i can send you a pair complete with NEW clear lenses and the led bulbs. $110 bucks shipped

LED bulbs-$40/pair ( i would only use the ones from superbrightleds because i have only had good luck with the quality of their bulbs)

new lenses from mac's- $26/pair

electronic flasher-$13 (with out the electronic flasher, the led will cause the blinker to blink too fast, same as if you had a bulb out.

Labor to clear the lens-$20 (takes me about an hour to do both lenses)

shipping-$11( for the bulbs and lenses to get to me then for me to ship to you)

so if anyone wants to go along with the lights pm me, i will be making an order in about a week and a half. funds can be transfered thru paypal

southern man
    southern man

Number of posts : 486
    Registration date : 2008-05-21

Post by southern man Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:31 pm

I already have the 1950's Pontiac LED tailights, which look good and work great. I have stock front turn signals but with clear lenses and amber bulbs, which look good on my van. Can you do clear lenses on the fronts? Do they make yellow led bulbs?
    score602
    score602

Post by score602 Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:19 pm

Yea I'll post pics of my fronts that I just cleared and they have yellow/ amber leds

Post by Guest Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:44 am

I used LED 4" trailer lights, takes a 4.25" hole saw and fit's realy snug. They are super brite and if one ever goes out I can get a cheap replacement at any truckstop in the US.
    score602
    score602

Post by score602 Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:47 am

I like the idea but I didn't want to cut it up

Post by Guest Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:23 am

I didn't have any pieces of the stock lights or even wiring running to the back when I got mine so had to go from scratch.
    score602
    score602

Post by score602 Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:38 pm

In that case it was def the easiest thing to do, post some pics IDE like to see how it looks

Post by Guest Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:00 pm

Should get some pics up mid day tomorrow.

Just tried to uplaod some and they are too big, I don't know how to make them smaller.
    I have some on Facebook, you could see them there untill I get a buddy to show me how to work a computer.

Last edited by FrankenVan on Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:40 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : update)
    dan nachel
    dan nachel

Number of posts : 394
    Registration date : 2012-01-24

Post by dan nachel Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:47 pm

These are the tail lights I got from the truck stop. I cutout the original backCheap LED upgrade for tail lights Led_ta11-plates and popped theseCheap LED upgrade for tail lights Led_ta12 in.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 1:54 pm