VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

piston rings??

Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

piston rings?? Empty piston rings??

Post by Twinpilot001 Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:46 pm

Anyone That knows about this - explain to me - Low Tension piston rings & v/s standard piston rings ? Whats the real difference? My old napa guys have never heard of this ?? Educate me -Thanx
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

piston rings?? Empty Re: piston rings??

Post by RodStRace Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:55 pm

Older rings were cast iron. They were the standard for many years. They were low cost, required a rougher bore finish to seat properly, and still tended to use oil and wear out in 40-60K miles.
    There was a time when chrome rings were used. Mainly for racing.
    Newer rings usually have a coating on them, most use a moly coating. This requires a much smoother bore surface, little to no break-in time, uses less oil and lasts longer.
    Due to these factors and better engineering of the ring groove that allows combustion pressure to help seal the ring, they don't require as much tension.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Post by Twinpilot001 Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:10 pm

Thanx Rod - i do know about all the ring types and have used them all over the last 50 years . I was told by an enginebuilder tghere was some type difference in "Low tension " Rings - yet didnt get specific. I believe the roundy round racers use these yet not sure . These rings had 2 very thin rings below & above the oil ring & all 5 fit in the pistons oil ring area> ive never seen any like this before- and am curious as to why & what these are ??
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:15 pm

Take a look at various ring manufacturer's sites for the info "straight from the horse's mouth".
    Every oil ring I've seen have support rails top and bottom, but I haven't seen pairs above and below.
    Low tension would mean less HP loss due to friction, but less oil control unless other changes are made. Tighter tolerances, different bore finish, etc.

Here's an article I just found. Circle Track mag is ususally written to a higher level than something like Car Craft, which is pretty much entry level.
    http://www.stockcarracing.com/techarticles/scrp_0510_piston_rings_basics/index.html

More info
    http://blog.raceology.com/2005/05/oil-ring-tension.html

Last edited by RodStRace on Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Post by Twinpilot001 Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:17 pm

Thanx ill look for some explanation on the mfgs sites have a good one

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 4:30 am