VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+4
RodStRace
G-Man
austinmodhouse
gh0st
8 posters

When times were simple

When times were simple Empty When times were simple

Post by Guest Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:26 pm

Wow! How time flies. I just bought a 1963 and a 1965 Econo. It wasn't to long ago, I could go into any auto parts store and purchase parts in-stock.
    Now its a mission of love and frustration to find parts. Also to educate partsmen and women that you have to go to the books to find these parts and not rely on the computers. Any suggestions on where to order parts
    THANKS
    gh0st
    gh0st

Number of posts : 50
    Registration date : 2011-07-25

When times were simple Empty Re: When times were simple

Post by gh0st Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:26 am

aka - the decline and eventual lombotomy of all NAPA employees.
    austinmodhouse
    austinmodhouse

Number of posts : 575
    Registration date : 2010-07-30

Post by austinmodhouse Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:50 am

what I can’t find over the counter, I get from mac’s and just have it shipped to me…. to be honest. if mac’s has it, I probably don’t even make an effort to check the local parts store.

http://macsautoparts.com/

G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:45 am

Welcome to the site!!! My best advice is try to find a Mom & Pop auto parts store. Someone who has been in the business for years and years. Sadly there are many anymore, I'm lucky to have one by me
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:48 am

Welcome!
    How about some pictures and info on your vans?

Post by Guest Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:10 am

Welcome. Macs and Rock Auto carry a lot of Econo parts.
    Nightmoves
    Nightmoves

Number of posts : 2214
    Registration date : 2008-11-17

Post by Nightmoves Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:54 pm

First,Welcome E-liner.Since we are now entering 51 years of these (yes,50+ years !)vans,drastic changes have come about.About the only thing that hasn't changed is the piston & block.Ignition,fuel delivery,you name it.More brands of vehicles,styles & bodies,plus accessories.Can you imagine the typed,manuals on the counters where 6 or 8 existed 30 years ago?Parts houses have had to adapt as well with computers & inventory.Mom & pop places are fading away to box stores.A lot of those people have no idea on our archaic vehicles.It'd be like me messin around on a brass lantern era Cadillac,tryin to work on,or start it.'Throttle on the wheel? Whats this spark advance thingy do?'But it is great to know some places are still around from the 'old school'.Learn to grit your teeth and 'patience,Grasshopper' while in box stores.Mainly...welcome aboard.
    Carl

Number of posts : 143
    Registration date : 2011-01-25

Post by Carl Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:25 pm

I bought an oil pressure sending unit fo a 67 at Napa for $7.95 the -at Mac's its $24.95 -so check around. I've bought tons of stuff from Mac's, all the window kits and rubber.
    toad
    toad

Number of posts : 355
    Registration date : 2010-05-30

Post by toad Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:47 am

Just last year I bought my brake stuff for my Econoline @ Autozone. Went to pick another hardware kit up and they no longer carried it. Looked it up under Falcon car and they had it. So gotta play with their system a little. Keep the other autos in mind that the same or similar parts are on.
    bugeye bob
    bugeye bob

Number of posts : 383
    Registration date : 2009-02-02

Post by bugeye bob Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:57 pm

Last year I went to Advance auto to get a new thermostat housing for my A100 170 engine and after the counter person pushed a few keys on the computer she said it was no longer available, needless to say my Dart 225 had the same housing so when she looked up a 71 225 housing it was available so I ordered it and yes it fit. In the 80's I worked at a Ford dealership in parts and a friend who was there forever didn't even need a book it was all in his head like all the old parts guys - those days are long gone.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 4:13 am