VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

292 right mount?

292 right mount? Empty 292 right mount?

Post by Guest Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:39 am

I am considering putting a 292 in my early. It's my understanding that the right mount is different on a 292. Any suggestions? Are there any other issues I should look for?
    savage
    savage

Number of posts : 2626
    Registration date : 2008-05-15

292 right mount? Empty Re: 292 right mount?

Post by savage Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:02 am

One of the mods is that the fuel pump is where the motor mount is on most 6 cyl. So you need to make plate to mount MM to where stock 292 MM is(on the front)??Seems like somebody said there taller to, so you have to mod the lid on the doghouse?? Wideloads got one in his 67
    wideload
    wideload
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 1388
    Registration date : 2008-05-11

Post by wideload Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:10 pm

No mod's to the doghouse are necessary(not sure about this if your running a stock aircleaner,I'm running one of the small 1 barrel air cleaners). I didn't put the motor in mine, but all they did was take a piece of 1/4" plate, bolt it to the crossmember where the orginal motor mount bolts up and extend forward far enough for the motor mount on the 292 to bolt to it. On the 292 the fuel pump and the right motor mount are switched as compared to the other L6's. The other visible difference is the lifter covers on the side of the block. The 292 ones are about 6" tall and the others are about 4" tall. The 292 has a longer stroke.

wideload

Post by Guest Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:48 pm

Thank you savage and wideload for the info. As it looks right now I think I am going to take the 6 out of my 68 and put a V8 in it and the 6 in the 66. (I was going to anyway) The 292 I thought would have more torque and the one I found is at the rear of the JY and it's rained a good bit...it will be spring before they will be able to get back to it. I want to be driving my van way before then. The plus side is I'll have more money for other things. Brian

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 4:55 am