VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Where is the VIN on my 1964 E van?

Bubba
    Bubba

Number of posts : 12
    Registration date : 2011-09-29

Where is the VIN on my 1964 E van? Empty Where is the VIN on my 1964 E van?

Post by Bubba Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:49 am

Where is the VIN on my 1964 E van? Is it the number on the door? this number says, "Not for title or registration purposes."

Where is the VIN on my 1964 E van? Empty Re: Where is the VIN on my 1964 E van?

Post by Guest Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:32 pm

There should be a plate on the drivers door jam with the vin on it. Also on the brace in front of the passengers tail light and I think on the floor under the the lip of the doghouse.
    Bubba
    Bubba

Number of posts : 12
    Registration date : 2011-09-29

Post by Bubba Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:50 pm

got it! I just got twitchy because the MAN, "highway patrol" was asking. Don't wanna mess with those jamokes! Gotta get your paperwork straight.

Post by Guest Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:28 pm

Like Vanishing breed said. The door tags tend to get changed if the door gets replaced. The true serial number is on the brace in front of the taillights. They are either on the right or left. I got several vans here and only one has it on the right. The others all have them on the left.
    The lip of where the doghouse bolts to the floor is a bit of work. Requires the removal of the doghouse and cleaning the sealed caulking. Usually located on the passenger side.

Post by Guest Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:38 pm

When I went to have mine registered the vin plate didn't match the registration because the drivers door had been swapped out and the CHP couldn't find it on the brace either. We took the doghouse off and like demondog said scraped the caulking away and found the vin and then while putting everything back we noticed the vin in plain sight on the hump on the back of the doghouse. That was a 65 though. It took me over 18 months to get that van registered because the vin on the door was listed by DMV as belonging to a destroyed van.

Post by Guest Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:01 pm

That is interesting where the vin was located on your 65. My 64 has it on the rightside lip. It matched my door tag.
    How do they put this on the hump on the trucks 65 and newer. ?

Post by Guest Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:10 pm

it is stamped in.
    texasjohn
    texasjohn

Number of posts : 672
    Registration date : 2008-06-01

Post by texasjohn Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:20 pm

my 66 8 door had it on hump behind doghouse. had to scrape the floor to find it

Post by Guest Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:28 pm

Mine is right on top of the hump in plain sight. No scraping needed there.

Post by Guest Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:31 pm

Yes mine is stamped into the floor lip. But 64 did not have the tranny hump.

Post by Guest Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:42 pm

I also have it on the floor under the lip of the doghouse. That one was a bitch to get too.
    Vantastic
    Vantastic

Number of posts : 290
    Registration date : 2011-02-28

Post by Vantastic Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:45 pm

Try looking on the cross member on the inside in the back on the passengers side.. that's where these Lovable Van freaks on this site told me to look and BAM there it was!

Post by Guest Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:56 pm

It can be on either both left or right brace. I have one here with it on the right. The others are all on the left brace. So look at both. I read in a manual that it should be on the right, but they are not always there, so they show on the left.

Post by Guest Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:03 pm

Mine wasn't on either brace for whatever reason.

Post by Guest Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:40 pm

Maybe your van had a mishap at sometime and they replaced the brace without a number.

Post by Guest Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:23 pm

no, it has never been in an accident other than someone dented the front roll pan. The CHPs and I looked at both braces and couldn't find the VIN on either one. We took out both seats and the fog house and finally after 2 hours found it under the lip.
    texasjohn
    texasjohn

Post by texasjohn Mon May 21, 2012 2:06 pm

icant find the vin stamp on my 61 pickup. looked in all typical places mentioned here. No doors on truck when its stamped underdog house onlip, where appox is it stamped.

Post by Guest Mon May 21, 2012 3:29 pm

On the doghouse lip on the floor. You usually have to unbolt the doghouse and clean the goop they use to seal the doghouse to the floor. Usually it is on the rightside by the passenger seat.
    The other location is on the cross brace in the rear corners of the box in front of the taillights. Usually is on the left, but they can be found on the right also.
    I have a pic of a serial number on a brace. But do not know how to post it in the thread. If you PM mean email I can send it to you via and email.
    texasjohn
    texasjohn

Post by texasjohn Tue May 22, 2012 6:32 pm

i cant find it on my 61 p/u. On the the lip under doghouse is it under the sidepanel or front panel of doghouse. I have the sides off and cant locate it

Post by Guest Tue May 22, 2012 6:48 pm

It will be on the lip of the floor under the doghouse on the right. Have you tried looking at the back braces in front of the tailights on the inside of the box. There should also be the numbers and letters stamped there also.
    texasjohn
    texasjohn

Post by texasjohn Thu May 31, 2012 2:41 pm

ok...found them.
    On MY 1961 E Pickup the only numbers I found are under the right side dogouse side panel right next to the heater hoses. Its in a location that could easily be cut out and lost forever if someone did a V8 upgrade so watch for that when or if you plan on a big engine install. It would be wise to rember this when purchasing a E. From now on i will find another number on the body before i buy and not take the door tag for face value.....
    good luck.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 5:15 am