VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+3
jrinaman
Twinpilot001
back2thewoods
7 posters

upholstery

Poll

all one color or two toned

[ 0 ]
    upholstery I_vote_lcap0%upholstery I_vote_rcap [0%] 
    [ 15 ]
    upholstery I_vote_lcap100%upholstery I_vote_rcap [100%] 

Total Votes: 15
    Poll closed

upholstery Empty upholstery

Post by Guest Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:48 pm

I was thinking of doing the interior of my 61 Econo pickup in a spice colored vinyl but have been thinking that a two toned interior might look nicer. I found some ultraleather upholstery online that is close to the spice I like and they also have some ultraleather in a creamy white that is almost exactly the color of the paint I will be using and was thinking of using that color for the headliner and inserts on the seats and the insert on the lid of the doghouse and in the insert on the front doors. I will also have the birds eye maple on the dash. The ultraleather is $100.00 a yard. I would appreciate some opinions, thanks.

Last edited by vanishingbreed on Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
    back2thewoods
    back2thewoods

Number of posts : 842
    Registration date : 2008-05-26

upholstery Empty Re: upholstery

Post by back2thewoods Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:32 pm

i like the 2 tone idea

Post by Guest Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:11 pm

back2thewoods wrote:i like the 2 tone idea
    Thanks Bro. Glad to see you on the forums. Don't get to hear from you often enough.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

upholstery Empty leather ??

Post by Twinpilot001 Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:13 pm

two tone is best if done correctly- even is close to same colers- or diff colors . Yet , ill ask?? @ 100 bucks a yard ?? consider leathers ?? Thats kinda spendy for upholstery?? Yet as ur in calif. There are some really top end upholstery shops down there .

Post by Guest Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:30 pm

Fred Carello will be doing the upholstery so I'm not worried about that part. Just want it to look great with two colors and make sure they are the right two colors. I have considered leather and it is more expensive and prone to staining more than the ultraleather is. The vinyl I was looking at was $22.00 a yard and if I can find the right two colors in it I probably will go with it on the walls. doors, dog house. and headliner but I want the soft,breathable, stain resistant ultraleather on the seats if possible.
    jrinaman
    jrinaman

Number of posts : 890
    Registration date : 2011-03-10

Post by jrinaman Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:05 pm

any pics or links on the colors? yes, big fan of two tone, provided the 2 colors are on van somewhere else.

Post by Guest Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:38 pm

I tried to copy pics of them and couldn't since the seller had them copy righted. The whitesh color is very close to the "Cool Vanilla" color the pickup will be painted.https://i.servimg.com/u/f42/12/42/42/73/pwg_xw10.jpg

The other color is very similar to this:
    upholstery Awesom18

The birds eye maple is this color:
    upholstery Img_0624 and the carpet is this color:
    upholstery Dougsh11
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

upholstery Empty colors & tints??

Post by Twinpilot001 Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:02 am

So Far =Good choices=ill add this from experience- sometimes when staying close to the same /tint/colors= in uphulstery/ wood trim/ and carpet= it looks sort of a blended look when finished. like too much of the same colors. ?? Many times a darket tint / color will offset all just enough to give an "accent" to the entire job.Trim in a lighter / darker color or even a different piping/ pinstripe in upholstery will do the trick- like a dividing line? look in the car mags & go to the car shows with that camera too. freds good and maybe offer some info. SAlso visit some upholstery shops locally & ask them to see some pics of their work- never know what theyve done ?? I do love the birdseye maple and think you are on the right track too- just think overkill as sometimes we do . Happy Vannin
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:10 am

Sounds great VB.
    About the only thing I could add is that the paint can be tinted to MATCH the material. So long as you keep the mix ratio or have some extra mixed, there shouldn't be a problem with touchups. It would, as the dude says 'really tie the room together' if the fittings, seat stands and screws were the same color.

Post by Guest Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:59 am

Thanks for all of the opinions. I really appreciate your input. The legs for the seats are chrome. The cup holder is polished aluminum, the shifter is chrome, the gas pedal, aluminum, the steering column will be the same color as the body, all aluminum knobs, aluminum foot rest etc.. Probably some LEDs but not sure what color, thinking amber. I have been to every upholstery shop around here except the ones owned by illegal aliens and saw some very nice work. One place is very good. All of their work gets in magazines and is very expensive. I was told $5000.00 for labor alone on my 61 Econo. They lowered that to $2,000.00 when they found out that we are both in the same hall of fame. I love their work but I want a vanner to do my work if possible and Freds work is excellent.

Post by Guest Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:54 pm

Now I need to find some vinyl in the same spice color so Fred can make me one of his super nice tonneau covers. I may even go with a vinyl top the same color.

Post by Guest Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:04 pm

I went to Cooks Upholstery here in town today and found the exact colors I want in ultraleather for $69.00 a yard. $31.00 cheaper than online. I also went to a local manufacturer of tonneau covers. They won't make me a fiberglass one because of the cost involved in making a mold but they said they may be able to make one out of ABS plastic painted to match my truck. I am hoping like hell that they can.

Post by Guest Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:03 pm

Here are the colors I found:

upholstery 291-8211

upholstery 291-3610

upholstery Lighte10

upholstery Lighte12
    Opinions??

Post by Guest Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:18 pm

For some reason the top pic looks more orange than it really is
    Magic Bus
    Magic Bus

Number of posts : 1422
    Registration date : 2009-12-02

Post by Magic Bus Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:35 am

Mike, two tone for sure, I like the top and bottom samples but Im sure you'll get a great match and cant wait to see the truck finished!
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Post by Twinpilot001 Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:40 am

Top 2 colors +

Post by Guest Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:51 am

Now that I put them on top of each other I like the top one best.
    upholstery 291-8212

upholstery 20091810

upholstery Plain10
    slowflapper
    slowflapper

Number of posts : 956
    Registration date : 2010-07-29

Post by slowflapper Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:59 am

I'm voting for two toned.

Post by Guest Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:55 pm

It seems that everyone prefers two toned. I thought that a few would prefer one color. I will definitely go with two tones. I had someone on facebook suggest that I use the darker color with a teal insert but that sounds fugly to me.
    organ grinder

Number of posts : 149
    Registration date : 2008-10-11

Post by organ grinder Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:53 pm

Mike, are you going to upholster the complete doors or just the door panels? How about the dash? Remember in your search for Utra Leather that there are numerous grades and certain ones are more expensive and easier to work with then some. Maybe converse with Fred and get his input before you purchase. Just a suggestion.

Post by Guest Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:22 pm

I want to do the dash, entire doors and the new fiberglass console too. When I was looking for Ultra leather I found the most expensive with the most rub ratings (400,000) and flexibility as well as stain resistance and then went to my friend at Cooks Upholstery and he can get me the same stuff for his cost. I am having Fred do the upholstery work on the seats, headliner, rear walls and console as well as the door inserts with custom arms but someone local here will do the dash and the rest of the doors. The reason being I can send the seats, DH, console and the Quiet Ride panels for the rear and the headliner to Fred and he can cover them and send them back. He also can make the door inserts and send them to me.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:57 am