VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Upgrade heater box

Slowride

Number of posts : 67
    Registration date : 2009-02-17

upgrade heater box - Upgrade heater box Empty Upgrade heater box

Post by Slowride Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:45 pm

While cleaning up the garage I came across a heater box from a '65 I bought a long time ago. The idea was to put it in the '63, but that hasn't happened and may not. I have everything I thought I'd need (box, heater core, cables), but I thought I read something a long time ago about the wiper motor being different on '65 and up.
    What all is involved in upgrading the heater, and is it really worth it, or should I just sell it all off?

upgrade heater box - Upgrade heater box Empty Re: Upgrade heater box

Post by Guest Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:16 pm

you really don't need the heater here in sunny So. Cal. I have never used one.
    EconoCarl
    EconoCarl

Number of posts : 1109
    Registration date : 2008-05-19

Post by EconoCarl Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:26 pm

Do windshields ever need to be defrosted in SoCal?

Slowride, if you plan on driving yours you might consider having a heater/defroster just in case!
    Slowride

Number of posts : 67
    Registration date : 2009-02-17

Post by Slowride Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:33 pm

I repaired the stock heater, and it works ok. I had heard the newer units had more volume and better air control (why I bought it). The kid drives the van daily and during the rain it's nice to have a defroster AND a little heat!
    EconoCarl
    EconoCarl

Number of posts : 1109
    Registration date : 2008-05-19

Post by EconoCarl Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:04 pm

To answer your original question, I would think that Ford changed the heater assembly for the better. I know that the newer unit sure frees up floor space! If I remember correctly the wiper motors from 61-67 are all the same with the exception of being a single or a two-speed.
    fmc56
    fmc56

Number of posts : 553
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by fmc56 Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:56 pm

The wipers motors are different on the 65-67 along with the mounting bracket and arm. They are mounted at a slightly different angle in order to clear the defroster hose. When changing them be sure to use the switch, motor, bracket and arm all from the same application. I have seen at least 5 different versions, none of the parts interchange. The best upgrade is to use a late 66-67 motor, arm and mounting plate. This can be hooked up to a control box and switch from a newer F series truck with delay wipers
    Fred

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 8:35 am