VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
dix
Lazarusvan
6 posters

PATCH PANELS AVAILABLE?

Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Number of posts : 1293
    Registration date : 2011-02-22

PATCH PANELS AVAILABLE? Empty PATCH PANELS AVAILABLE?

Post by Lazarusvan Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:37 am

I tried searching past threads for this, but all I found were For Sale threads using the search words "patch panel."

I'm real close to making a move on a 1968 A100 to meet my immediate needs and proximity. I'd been on the Chevy's but this one has some nice variables working in my favor.

Price seems right based on the engine/tranny work done and how it currently sits. There is some rust but it's a driver and can get me on the road immediately and hopefully, reliably. It has some lower body rust in the typical spots on both sides. Owner says there is no rust on roof or rails or A pillars.

Rust is in both front door "steps" and on the lower, driver's side area running the length from just beyond driver's and passenger door. Driver's side would need a patch panel or to be cut out. Current owner said passenger side may just need grinding.

Are there patch panels available and where can I find them. Or, am I better to look for a parts van with clean panels. I'd be repainting it, so a little body work or (even better) replacing an entire panel wouldn't be an issue. I would think replacing the panel would be cheaper than cutting and welding. I have no interest in using Bondo.

Trying to determine what is the most economical way to approach it if I decide to take this one all the way.
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8729
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

PATCH PANELS AVAILABLE? Empty Re: PATCH PANELS AVAILABLE?

Post by dix Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:54 pm

try calling this supplier. if he does not ask him who does. http://www.surplussupplyco.com/catalog.htm
    Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Post by Lazarusvan Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:41 pm

dix wrote:try calling this supplier. if he does not ask him who does. http://www.surplussupplyco.com/catalog.htm

Dix, that is perfect. They had exactly what I would potentially need. The more "non-linear" the part, the more expensive it is.
    pittsdriver
    pittsdriver

Number of posts : 335
    Registration date : 2010-08-12

Post by pittsdriver Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:48 pm

Look on Ebay, there are doglegs and lower sidepanels avalable. Look at the front floorboards as that is a bad place for rust. The front dogleg right behind the door and the left lower sidepanel are the two worst places for rust followed by the front step area. Good luck.
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:24 pm

For the areas that are not available, you will have to fabricate or find a good donor. Since darn near every one is rusty in the same place and any that aren't are prime restoration material, you will have to find a donor that has no rust but has been hit. Since the numbers of these are fewer each year, the chances keep getting worse.
    So, unless you get real lucky, you will have to fabricate. Take a look at the progress on this thread.
    https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/t18092-1959-ford-thames-camper-van-restoration
    Don't forget to look at other vehicles for smaller, less obvious patches too. That driver's footwell may be able to be sourced from a newer van or truck.
    Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Post by Lazarusvan Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:40 pm

RodStRace wrote:For the areas that are not available, you will have to fabricate or find a good donor. Since darn near every one is rusty in the same place and any that aren't are prime restoration material, you will have to find a donor that has no rust but has been hit. Since the numbers of these are fewer each year, the chances keep getting worse.
    So, unless you get real lucky, you will have to fabricate. Take a look at the progress on this thread.
    https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/t18092-1959-ford-thames-camper-van-restoration
    Don't forget to look at other vehicles for smaller, less obvious patches too. That driver's footwell may be able to be sourced from a newer van or truck.

Rod, it appears that all the areas with rust of which I am aware have patch panels. The step plate around the front wheel, and the area under the cargo doors (cheapest part.) There looks to be some rust on the back side area around at least the passenger, rear bumper area. They have that panel as well. Owner says floor board is good.

Without replacing that part, it about $350 in parts delivered IF all need to be replaced. The van I'm viewing has rust in all the areas they make replacements for other than possibly the driver's side area around rear bumper (CC-16.)

I know the driver's under the cargo door area needs replacing. I don't know what the labor involved to remove and replace would run. Easy or time consuming? Has to be faster than working and fabricating new pieces.

The extra straight piece shown is for the 108. (TSP-4)

PATCH PANELS AVAILABLE? Patch_10

Last edited by Lazarusman on Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:47 pm; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : Added photo)
    Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Post by Lazarusvan Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:51 am

Got my sticker shock at the cost of welding in replaced panels. This one is a bagger! Nice looking, but too much rust before I do anything else. If anyone is interested, I will forward you photos of the NW Georgia '68 A100 panel van. It was sent to me zipped and I can't figure how to save the file. If you want a driver and the rust doesn't scare you, this is nice van.
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Post by RodStRace Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:33 am

Open up the zipped file (often that's right click, Extract).
    When you have the folder unzipped, highlight all the picture files (Control+A) and then right click, Save As and save them all to your My Pictures.
    I usually try to make a new folder inside My Pictures
    (right click,/New/Folder) and name it so it makes sense (example GA van) first, then save the picture inside that new folder.
    slowflapper
    slowflapper

Number of posts : 956
    Registration date : 2010-07-29

Post by slowflapper Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:27 pm

Lazarusman wrote:Got my sticker shock at the cost of welding in replaced panels. This one is a bagger! Nice looking, but too much rust before I do anything else. If anyone is interested, I will forward you photos of the NW Georgia '68 A100 panel van. It was sent to me zipped and I can't figure how to save the file. If you want a driver and the rust doesn't scare you, this is nice van.

I know the feeling, I passed up a great deal on an A108 because it had a lot of rust. Mine is from CA/AZ and it still has some rust in the usual places to deal with but not bad.
    Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Post by Lazarusvan Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:27 pm

Exterior photos of the van. I really like the interior, for what it's worth. Haven't seen it in person. Just can't stomach the patch work although I called a guy who only restores vintage autos and is $70/hr. FYI, owner says paint isn't that great. It looks better than photos.

I love the sunroof (which supposedly doesn't leak and super dig the roof rack. If not for the rust, I would make the halfway drive to meet him as he said he drove it down from N.Y. This will likely make someone here that can do the repairs themselves pretty happy. I was quoted about $3,000 just to weld and replace, not including panels. Wow!

The entire interior back has panels, some are just not up. The light bar down the middle is pretty cool and this has "party light" whatever those are. This only has windows in back.

PATCH PANELS AVAILABLE? Pictur10

[img][url=https://servimg.com/view/16729044/80]PATCH PANELS AVAILABLE? Pictur21https://i.servimg.com/u/f42/16/72/90/44/pictur11.jpg[/img][/url]

PATCH PANELS AVAILABLE? Pictur12

PATCH PANELS AVAILABLE? Pictur13

PATCH PANELS AVAILABLE? Pictur14

PATCH PANELS AVAILABLE? Pictur15

PATCH PANELS AVAILABLE? Pictur16

PATCH PANELS AVAILABLE? Pictur17

PATCH PANELS AVAILABLE? Pictur18

PATCH PANELS AVAILABLE? Pictur19

PATCH PANELS AVAILABLE? Pictur20

PATCH PANELS AVAILABLE? Pictur21

PATCH PANELS AVAILABLE? Pictur22

PATCH PANELS AVAILABLE? Pictur23

PATCH PANELS AVAILABLE? Pictur24

PATCH PANELS AVAILABLE? Pictur25

Last edited by Lazarusman on Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:37 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Added photos/info)
    Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Post by Lazarusvan Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:04 pm

Can one of our great moderators move this over to the for sale in NW Georgia as I should have placed it there with the for sale of the van. I'm not up for adding all the photos again. I'll at least put this link there. Thx.
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Post by RodStRace Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:34 pm

I will let you in on a little secret; that 3K is going to end up being 75% or less of the total bill.
    They call it Body Shop Hell for a reason.
    It's not fair for the averge Joe to expect a body guy to have X-Ray vision, but it's also not fair for someone who has done this work for 10-20 years to always underbid by at least 25%, yet it happens every day.
    Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Post by Lazarusvan Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:25 am

Rod, thanks for the feedback. It was at least that much and he was the best name given my a vintage Mustang repair shop. As mentioned, he does lots of classics, so he is only going to do it one way: The right way. Glad to know that he is isn't blowing smoke. Great looking van with disease...Lesson learned, back to non-rusty ones!
    slowflapper
    slowflapper

Number of posts : 956
    Registration date : 2010-07-29

Post by slowflapper Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:12 am

Looks like the old "lets bondo/paint over the rust" trick, for what its worth I think you made the right choice in passing it up. I'd rather get one with a shot motor than a rusty body, the motor is actually easier to fix.

I'm planning on doing most, if not all of my rust repair and welding myself. Then having the van taken by flatbed to a body shop for media blasting and paint by someone who knows what they are doing. I can work with metal but I cant paint Smile
    Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Post by Lazarusvan Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:15 pm

slowflapper wrote:Looks like the old "lets bondo/paint over the rust" trick, for what its worth I think you made the right choice in passing it up. I'd rather get one with a shot motor than a rusty body, the motor is actually easier to fix.

I'm planning on doing most, if not all of my rust repair and welding myself. Then having the van taken by flatbed to a body shop for media blasting and paint by someone who knows what they are doing. I can work with metal but I cant paint Smile

Yea, I get it. I just thought it was cheap enough to put a little love in the body. That turned out to be more love than my wallet could supply. I was losing focus off my Chevy desire and ready to find something close to home. I've looked so long I just want a nice van and A100 was my first love before seeing the 1st Gen Chevy's. After not getting a van that had about as good a paint job as the entire asking price, everything else is looking "less good."

If not for the rust, at that price, I think I would have gotten it. If I've read correctly, the '68 year auto has power steering, another decent plus. Thanks for advice and PM shout back.
    pittsdriver
    pittsdriver

Number of posts : 335
    Registration date : 2010-08-12

Post by pittsdriver Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:59 pm

Clean rust free body trumps good mechanicals every time.
    Keep looking, I found my gem 35 miles away after going over 500 miles for one with rust and dents and another 130 miles away that is just for parts also.
    Stoopid john
    Stoopid john

Number of posts : 265
    Registration date : 2011-06-03

Post by Stoopid john Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:57 am

Does anyone know what bumpers are on this van??

Post by Guest Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:06 am

The bumpers, both front and back, to me look like front bumpers off a 90's era Ford pickup. We have a couple at work that I recall look just like that.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:22 am