VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+7
Bear
Big W
donivan65
Scott
mbasaraba
DanTheVanMan
G-Man
11 posters

Anyone ever try this as a gastank replacement?

Anyone ever try this as a gastank replacement? Empty Anyone ever try this as a gastank replacement?

Post by Guest Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:36 am

66 nova 16 gallon for 66 G10.

Anyone ever try this as a gastank replacement? Empty Re: Anyone ever try this as a gastank replacement?

Post by Guest Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:30 am

I read on the internet of someone using a gas tank from a 1955 Chevrolet sedan, not personally sure if it would work but you might consider checking it out. Good luck, from my limited experience, gas tanks are hard to come by...

Anyone ever try this as a gastank replacement? Empty Re: Anyone ever try this as a gastank replacement?

Post by Guest Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:32 am

I might have to try that. Striking out on local renewal. I have to go pull the tank, first. It might not even be the problem. Lines could just have pooped out.
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:40 am

Keep us informed many are looking for a replacement

Post by Guest Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:07 pm

Will do.
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by DanTheVanMan Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:12 pm

I have a spare 1st Gen if anyone needs....

Dan

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Anyone ever try this as a gastank replacement? Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    mbasaraba
    mbasaraba

Number of posts : 823
    Registration date : 2009-01-08

Post by mbasaraba Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:56 am

Give me the dimensions and I will build you guys some. Have built lots of tanks for bikes and built one for my Mazda mx 3. In tank fuel pump or draw type? Would be a good excuse to update to a Walbro 170 or 255.
    mbasaraba
    mbasaraba

Post by mbasaraba Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:48 am

A little more info on the tanks I have fabricated in the past since I have had PMs on the subject already. I reinforce 16 gauge sheet steel with strapping. I cut my panels with a plasma and use a form to shape the strap if it is curved rather than angled. I weld it all together then made a cover that is sealed and pressure test and submerge to check for leaks. I then dry and paint.

I have never made one for a van or even seen a van tank so I would design a model based on dimensions plus mounting location. As far as cost goes it would depend on size and steel prices. Not trying to make money or anything. I have a job so it would be something done on a weekend afternoon.
    Scott
    Scott

Number of posts : 1651
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by Scott Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:02 am

It would be a good idea to build these so a common sending unit, that works with stock gauges, would fit into the tank.

Another good idea would be for you to make these worth your while since these are going to take a little time to build, your time is definitely worth something, and you may get more request then your expecting.

There's also a difference between the 1st and 2nd Gen. tanks, you may get request for both.

mbasaraba
    mbasaraba

Post by mbasaraba Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:21 am

I may need to look for volenteers that have one laying around to get a bunch of pictures plus dimensions plus pictures of the mounting location. Size and install of the sending unit opening would be key also.

Guess I was thinking this was like 1 or 2 guys in need of a fix for not being able to find a tank at a reasonable price in their area.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:42 am

1st Gen Chevys, 1964-66 are 16 gallon,,,,,,2nd Gens are 24 gallon,,,,,,,

Anyone ever try this as a gastank replacement? Nodoor21

Anyone ever try this as a gastank replacement? Nodoor22

Anyone ever try this as a gastank replacement? Nodoor23
    mbasaraba
    mbasaraba

Post by mbasaraba Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:53 am

Simple enough. Of course I don't have a forming press to make the strap indentures or anything but I worked around that on my car.

Sure wish I had a an so I could fit and mount while designing.
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Post by Big W Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:31 pm

Do have any pics of that mazda tank you made? Also Chevy Vanners aint the only ones who need tanks. I bet you could retire off this site. Ford owners need some to...lol
    mbasaraba
    mbasaraba

Post by mbasaraba Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:09 am

I wish I had some pics. I sold the car 3 years ago. Wife said it was time for it to go.

I can believe tanks aren't available at like Year one or something.
    Bear
    Bear

Number of posts : 849
    Registration date : 2010-11-23

Post by Bear Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:19 am

i got a 1th gen i can send you to mock up off.i could use one for my 66
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:19 am

The econo owners tell me that the mustang , falcon tanks work very well too-Happy Vannin[i]
    mbasaraba
    mbasaraba

Post by mbasaraba Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:05 am

Maybe we can get a list of what tanks can be used and I can find a couple to replicate. I don't want to have a huge investment in something that won't go anywhere.
    mbasaraba
    mbasaraba

Post by mbasaraba Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:57 am

Doing some looking on Year One. Here is a tank for a Chevy 2 (Nova)) Nova Tank

From the picture it doesn't look like it would fit. Looks like it was a rear fill behind the plate maybe?

The 82-87 camaro tank looks similar to the pictures posted. Camaro Tank

The prices showing from $100-200 makes it a viable option with slight modification for fill tube. A rubber flex tube would be easy to attach and mount.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:19 am

1st Gen 16 gallon tanks are too small,,,,you need a bigger one,,,,,(a 4th Gen van has a 32 gallon tank). They use a 30 ohm sending unit and nobody uses it anymore and you need one that fits the tank,,,,so you would really want to invent a new tank,that would fit,,,,the only place to go is lower to increase the size,,,,and use a universal 30 ohm sending unit that screws onto the tank,,,2nd Gens have a wider tank,but they moved the crossmember forward so it could fit.....

Anyone ever try this as a gastank replacement? Repai100

Anyone ever try this as a gastank replacement? Repai101

Anyone ever try this as a gastank replacement? Repai102
    mbasaraba
    mbasaraba

Post by mbasaraba Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:04 pm

Do you have a picture of a tank mounted? Maybe that will help with deciding how to increase the size.

A kid here at work said a guy has a 68 GMC for sale near his house and going to get me the info to call him. If I can get my hands on a van that would really help a lot in knowing how and where these mount.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:15 pm

The tank is held up by straps that go from the rear bumper to the crossmember over the rear end and it fits between the frame with a few inches of room to attach the filler neck and vent hoses that come through the frame.....

Anyone ever try this as a gastank replacement? Backen10

Anyone ever try this as a gastank replacement? Repai103

Anyone ever try this as a gastank replacement? Repai104

Anyone ever try this as a gastank replacement? Repai105

Anyone ever try this as a gastank replacement? Repai106

Anyone ever try this as a gastank replacement? Repai107
    Staypuff68

Number of posts : 28
    Registration date : 2011-03-02

Post by Staypuff68 Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:51 am

I have a 2nd gen 24 gallon tank, with some small holes along the top, that I would be willing to send for a template. I replaced it with a 2nd gen 16 gallon tank that I got from a guy parting out a 67.
    mbasaraba
    mbasaraba

Post by mbasaraba Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:21 am

Staypuff68 wrote:I have a 2nd gen 24 gallon tank, with some small holes along the top, that I would be willing to send for a template. I replaced it with a 2nd gen 16 gallon tank that I got from a guy parting out a 67.

Where are you located? Is it an arm and a leg to ship these?

mbasaraba
    mbasaraba

Post by mbasaraba Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:29 am

Donivan,

It looks like it fits between the leaf springs, is that right? So could actually make it same width and length but make it taller? (Thicker) is there anything that would interfere with that?

Also someone stated they moved one of the cross bars to accommodate a larger tank from Gen 1 to Gen 2. Been thinking it possible to add a section forward that would add capacity as long as there was nothing to interfere there as well.

Anyone know of a board member in Alabama that I might be able to look at his tank and mounting?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:54 am

All the Chevy Vans have the tank fit between the frame and springs, so that dimension can't be changed, the 2nd Gens have the front crossmember moved forward to accommodate the wider tank,,,,that would be take some work to move it on a 1st Gen to put in the 24 gallon tank,,,,so the only easy way to go is down,,,,good for high rider vans,,,not so for low riders,,,,you would just have to be aware of the tank hanging down,,,,but a couple of inches would not make much difference,,,,,,

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 4:08 pm