VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Horn relay clicks when steering wheel is turned.

StuNami
    StuNami

Number of posts : 437
    Registration date : 2010-12-14

Horn relay clicks when steering wheel is turned. Empty Horn relay clicks when steering wheel is turned.

Post by StuNami Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:52 am

Got van back together and everything seems to work but when I turn the wheel, the horn relay clicks. I didn't take the steering wheel off during the resto. Any ideas?
    Magic Bus
    Magic Bus

Number of posts : 1422
    Registration date : 2009-12-02

Horn relay clicks when steering wheel is turned. Empty Re: Horn relay clicks when steering wheel is turned.

Post by Magic Bus Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:54 am

Stu, all I know is I went through my horn system..if the relay is clicking, its probably good, I wound up taking my horn apart and the contacts inside were dirty/adjustable and now it works....
    StuNami
    StuNami

Number of posts : 437
    Registration date : 2010-12-14

Horn relay clicks when steering wheel is turned. Empty Re: Horn relay clicks when steering wheel is turned.

Post by StuNami Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:31 am

I'm thinking that since I drove it without the horn button on, It activates when I turn the wheel. I don't have the horns installed but it clicks when I turn the wheel like I'm pushing the button down. I get it back from the glass place tomorrow and I'll put the button back on and see if that fixes it.

Cheers.
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Post by Big W Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:18 pm

I just finished cleaning mine and ended up pulling the wheel. There is a metal ring under the wheel that sits on a plastic 2 or 3 legged stand that is held tight by screws from underneath. The horn wire runs up the side of the column and is sawderd to this ring. the only way the relay should be clicking as if to honk the horn would be if something is rubbing on this ring or the horn wire broke off the ring and is rubbing against the column or the bottom of the wheel. Is there something under your steering wheel that could be rubbing causing the relay to click? or has the ring come loose and is lifting up and rubbing on the bottom of your steering wheel? All that is needed to honk the the horn is any metel part of the steering wheel come in contact with the horn wire ring. Just my 2 cents on the matter.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:34 pm