VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
Slowride
Rayallen
6 posters

Gauge lights..

Rayallen
    Rayallen

Number of posts : 648
    Registration date : 2011-06-27

Gauge lights.. Empty Gauge lights..

Post by Rayallen Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:58 pm

Im thinking it would be best to get rid of my idiot lights (seen them worded this way on more than one occasion) and go with a voltage and oil pressure gauges so I can see what is really going on.

As far as the oil light is it as simple as swapping out the oil sending unit to light to a oil sending unit to gauge and then swapping out the light for a oil pressure gauge?

The two oil sending units have the same threads but look completely different.

What would be needed to swap out the gen light?

any help appreciated..

Ray in TX
    Rayallen
    Rayallen

Gauge lights.. Empty Re: Gauge lights..

Post by Rayallen Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:35 pm

Slowride

Number of posts : 67
    Registration date : 2009-02-17

Post by Slowride Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:29 am

Rayallen wrote:Im thinking it would be best to get rid of my idiot lights (seen them worded this way on more than one occasion) and go with a voltage and oil pressure gauges so I can see what is really going on.

As far as the oil light is it as simple as swapping out the oil sending unit to light to a oil sending unit to gauge and then swapping out the light for a oil pressure gauge?

Yes and no. Change to a sending unit (the light uses a "switch"), but aftermarket gauges use 12v, not regulated 6v. So any aftermarket gauge you install must bypass the regulator on the back of the panel. The existing wiring can be used.

The two oil sending units have the same threads but look completely different.
    The small one is a switch (on/off), whereas a sender is larger and has variable resistance used with a gauge.

What would be needed to swap out the gen light?
    Keep the light, but add a volt gauge connected before the panel regulator.

any help appreciated..

Ray in TX
    Rayallen
    Rayallen

Post by Rayallen Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:57 am

Thanks Slowride
    Carl

Number of posts : 143
    Registration date : 2011-01-25

Gauge lights.. Empty idiot lights to gauges

Post by Carl Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:18 am

-the 67 econolines had those gauges -oil pressure-ammeter, so use a 67 econoline wiring diagram. I have a 67, bought in 70. -and a wiring diagram cfniehus@aol.com Carl
    EconoCarl
    EconoCarl

Number of posts : 1109
    Registration date : 2008-05-19

Post by EconoCarl Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:27 am

Welcome to the site Carl!

Not all '67s had the full gauge set, I believe very few of any year had them. Carl, you're one of the lucky ones!!!
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Post by Big W Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:45 pm

My 67 has dummy lights, and the 66 has full gauges....But the 66 also has dummy lights hanging up under the dash????? All the light holes in he dash are filled and working. All exterior lights work and man is there a boat load of wires under this dash. I think I will start over and isolate the lights from the gauges and then run new wires for each guage...Not shure yet how to fix this.Gauge lights.. Dsc00333.. affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid I hope yours doesn't look like this. I believe I have a mutent harness..or someone added to the original harness trying to make the guages work.lol
    Rayallen
    Rayallen

Post by Rayallen Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:56 am

Ok I need some more help. Sorry guys its a rats nest of wires.

I took some pics to show what im working with. From my understanding. For my oil pressure gauge i am going to use the yellow/red wire and the black wire that are on the current light bulb and im simply moving them onto the new gauge. Which am I using though the smaller oil sending switch or the large bell shaped oil sending unit in the block? I opted not to run the oil pressure with the copper tube because I can not find it long enough to run from my dash all the way to the block.

As far as the voltage gauge goes this is suppost to be simple but im still not sure which wire or wires to connect to it. According to slowride I should keep this gen light bulb operational and add the guage as well. Just need to know which wires to use.

I feel like an idiot looking at these wires. Ive wired switches for various compenents, stereos, tvs etc to modern cars without having these problems.

My pics

Gauge lights.. Gauge003-Copy
    Gauge lights.. Gauge008
    Gauge lights.. Gauge006
    Gauge lights.. Gauge004

Which of these should I use for the oil gauge

Gauge lights.. Gauge010
    Gauge lights.. Gauge011

Help very much appreciated guys
    Rayallen
    Rayallen

Post by Rayallen Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:28 am

I figured this out finally guys. Thought I shorted something out in the process, but it was only the switch.

Casimier
    Casimier

Number of posts : 864
    Registration date : 2010-07-26

Post by Casimier Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:51 am

Ray
    How did yo make out?
    Jim
    Rayallen
    Rayallen

Post by Rayallen Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:00 pm

Jim I wound up keeping it stock and went with a mechanical gauge. I did this for 2 reasons. Mechanical gauges are usually more accurate than a electric and 2 I found I have a soft spot for those stupid idiot lights. I feel for now Im going to leave them. This way I have a idiot light to warn me and a oil pressure gauge to see whats going on at the same time.

Gauge lights.. IMG_0012

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:03 pm