VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+4
slowflapper
pan58head
G-Man
bugeye bob
8 posters

sandblasting gas tank

bugeye bob
    bugeye bob

Number of posts : 383
    Registration date : 2009-02-02

sandblasting gas tank Empty sandblasting gas tank

Post by bugeye bob Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:54 pm

not so much the outside but has anyone attempted to sandblast the inside of their gas tank, i have a hand held along with a table mount sandblaster and was thinking of getting some gas tank cleaner and after removing tank from van and after the cleaner and drying using a small hose to get in and sandblast the inside. maybe a stupid idea but it's almost $200. to have a radiator shop do it.
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

sandblasting gas tank Empty Re: sandblasting gas tank

Post by G-Man Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:19 pm

I just had a tank done and they sand blasted it, but then coated it inside and out. Mine cost $225 out the door. I think this service is worth the money myself. If you just sand blast it I'm sure there will be so sort of leak after the blasting. Think of it this way at almost $4 bucks a gal you don't want to lose a drop

Post by Guest Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:47 pm

I had one done once and had the spray on liner applied and when I started my panel up the spray on liner had come off in flakes and clogged my new fuel lines, new fuel filter, fuel pump and carb. I had to go buy a new filter and lines since I couldn't get the stuff out and take the new carb apart and clean it. Now I don't do that anymore. Instead I just have a new larger aluminum gas gas tank made and never have to worry about rust in the tank again.
    pan58head
    pan58head

Number of posts : 512
    Registration date : 2010-03-15

Post by pan58head Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:05 pm

Bugeye Bob , I have a way that I clean out rusty vintage harley tanks. I go to Home depot and buy gallons of CLR(calcium lime rust) but I buy the home depot brand(zep) cheper only $9 a gallon. I pour a gallon in and then add a bag of fish rocks(fish tank area walmart) then I rap the tank in a blanket and trow it in a old cement mixer and let it turn for a while, tanks come out clean. I have done this with car tanks but just strapped the to the mixer. After I get it clean I go to the car wash and washout the last bit of clr and rocks. I know it sounds way redneck but it works really good. My buddy justs pors the crl in the tanks and turns it every couple of days. I can clean a tank for under $30 Bob
    slowflapper
    slowflapper

Number of posts : 956
    Registration date : 2010-07-29

Post by slowflapper Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:33 am

bugeye bob wrote:not so much the outside but has anyone attempted to sandblast the inside of their gas tank, i have a hand held along with a table mount sandblaster and was thinking of getting some gas tank cleaner and after removing tank from van and after the cleaner and drying using a small hose to get in and sandblast the inside. maybe a stupid idea but it's almost $200. to have a radiator shop do it.

North Ga Radiator will vat, seal and paint your tank for $125 (at least that's what they charged me for mine). I had two of mine done up there and use them for general auto repairs as well, good people.

ask for "Randy"
    North Georgia Radiator & Cooling, Inc
    1365 Pilgrim Mill Road
    Cumming, GA 30040
    Phone:
    (770) 205-0905

that being said, you can probably drop the tank and wash it out well and put it back in if it isn't rusty or flaking but I wouldn't try and seal the inside unless you vat the tank or otherwise get it clean (Ive never blasted inside one).

Randy at NG Radiator tells me people will sometimes try and seal a tank that istt clean enough and it will start to flake later and cause bigger problems, just something to watch out for.
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Post by G-Man Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:36 am

If the right materials are used you should have no problems having a tank coated
    benwah
    benwah

Number of posts : 1135
    Registration date : 2008-07-05

Post by benwah Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:19 pm

Lately I have been playing with IH pickups 69-73. I sand blased the tanks j-b welded the pin holes. I clean any old gas tank by dropping a 5' chain and some kerosine in the tank and tumble the tank. Then repeat with some acitone. Rinse well with water then wash with M.E.K. rinse. and air dry. I then add the sealer I get from a local tractor restorers shop (i'll get the name )I have been useing it for years. It works great. The most important thing on coating your tank is you need to slosh it all in the tank top sides ect.. and drain any left over out. Let the sealer cure, there will be some thick spots due to gravity. If you dont let it cure fully you will have problembs clogging the fuel filters ect. Usually fully cured in two days.
    bugeye bob
    bugeye bob

Number of posts : 383
    Registration date : 2009-02-02

Post by bugeye bob Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:44 pm

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, i'm going to pull the tank first of week has only one strap and didn't realize how rusted it is on outside. I like the CLR with the cement mixer idea but don't have a mixer, think i'll see how bad it looks inside when I pull it and if to bad will see if slowflapper rad shop will do it $125. is better than $200. and thats not to far to go.
    Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Number of posts : 1293
    Registration date : 2011-02-22

Post by Lazarusvan Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:51 pm

Hey, guys. Is this a must that should be done on all tanks, regardless of visible rust? Is it just an age related pre-caution? Mike, what does an aluminum tank run? That aint' going to rust.
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Post by G-Man Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:57 pm

You have to remember they are 40 + years old and going threw them isn't really that much. Whats VB is talking about I'm sure costs some bucks, more than having one repaired. Most vanners here don't have the money VB throws at things

Post by Guest Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:33 pm

Lazarusman wrote:Hey, guys. Is this a must that should be done on all tanks, regardless of visible rust? Is it just an age related pre-caution? Mike, what does an aluminum tank run? That aint' going to rust.
    I would do it or if it is real bad get a new one. I have a guy here that made my aluminum tank for $200.00 but I supplied the aluminum which I think was $120.00 for a 4x8 sheet. He is going to make me one for my 61 but he will supply the aluminum this time. He said between $350.00 and $400.00. Mine looked really nice and it was a 20 gal. tank. The one for my 61 will be 20 gal. too.

Post by Guest Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:37 pm

G-Man wrote:You have to remember they are 40 + years old and going threw them isn't really that much. Whats VB is talking about I'm sure costs some bucks, more than having one repaired. Most vanners here don't have the money VB throws at things
    Having one repaired is just prolonging the inevitable and I don't like taking chances. Oh and I am not rich, I am living on VA disability and Social security. Most of my parts I get on ebay and the work is done mostly by friends in my club that own shops or other friends I know from car shows. I save big time that way and don't have to worry about cheap parts breaking on me.
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Post by G-Man Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:31 pm

I also wouldn't take a chance like that, but having one repair don't mean problems down the road. My tank came with a life time warranty

Post by Guest Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:51 pm

The metal is still very old and to me can't be trusted
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Post by G-Man Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:23 am

It all very old metal
    benwah
    benwah

Number of posts : 1135
    Registration date : 2008-07-05

Post by benwah Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:59 am

[/quote]
    I would do it or if it is real bad get a new one. I have a guy here that made my aluminum tank for $200.00 but I supplied the aluminum which I think was $120.00 for a 4x8 sheet. He is going to make me one for my 61 but he will supply the aluminum this time. He said between $350.00 and $400.00. Mine looked really nice and it was a 20 gal. tank. The one for my 61 will be 20 gal. too.[/quote] Thats a nice upgrade doesnt a 61 tank hold 12 gallons?
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Post by G-Man Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:20 am

I do agree that if it's so far gone and you can find someone to make one for that money it would be worth it. But most of them can be saved and how they seal them now is different from how they used to do it. Just saying most of us here can't afford a new tank.
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:20 am

Alot of it also just depends on your resources. I have no problem with epoxy and seal kits for small holes. If ya got friends with the know how and tools use 'em. You can build them out of steel also, My bro made one for his 59 truck, took advantage of the company that we buy our metal from, they broke out a couple pieces and he Mig'd them together then sealed it to be sure. several options it just depends on what you have to work with. On it being something you have to do,if you bought a running van it may be okay,if it has been sitting ALOT I'd check it, it doesnt hurt to be sure. That 69 A100 that Randy is now working on took some time before the fresh gas dissolved enough varnish away to open up the leaks. A couple tanks I have here looked good on the bottom and have rust on the top. It doesn't hurt to be a bit over cautious, but ya don't have to always break the bank doing it. JM2C

Last edited by Digz on Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:21 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : dbbl exsposure)
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:10 am

get tank to a place that cleans them =-I like bob & randys ideas- careful about sandblasting a fuel tank!! The thing can ignite from the sand making sparks inside- even when u think its cleaned out!! better to send it out or have one made-or find one that will fit (aluinimum) on ebay or from a seller.=Happy Vannin
    slowflapper
    slowflapper

Post by slowflapper Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:12 am

bugeye bob wrote:Thanks everyone for the suggestions, i'm going to pull the tank first of week has only one strap and didn't realize how rusted it is on outside. I like the CLR with the cement mixer idea but don't have a mixer, think i'll see how bad it looks inside when I pull it and if to bad will see if slowflapper rad shop will do it $125. is better than $200. and thats not to far to go.

Hey Bob,
    If you end up going with NG Radiator let me know how it turns out. Typically they will vat the tank, pressure test it, seal the inside, and paint the outside.

My tank was in good shape other than being full of trash, water and old gas, it sat for about 4 or 5 years prior to my getting it.
    slowflapper
    slowflapper

Post by slowflapper Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:16 am

Lazarusman wrote:Hey, guys. Is this a must that should be done on all tanks, regardless of visible rust? Is it just an age related pre-caution? Mike, what does an aluminum tank run? That aint' going to rust.

You usually have to vat a tank after it's been sitting for a couple years, condensation will get water in the tank and the gas in there will start to evaporate forming a sludge/varnish (just like what happens to an old carb).

Post by Guest Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:29 pm

benwah wrote:
    I would do it or if it is real bad get a new one. I have a guy here that made my aluminum tank for $200.00 but I supplied the aluminum which I think was $120.00 for a 4x8 sheet. He is going to make me one for my 61 but he will supply the aluminum this time. He said between $350.00 and $400.00. Mine looked really nice and it was a 20 gal. tank. The one for my 61 will be 20 gal. too.[/quote] Thats a nice upgrade doesnt a 61 tank hold 12 gallons?[/quote] approx. Yes. I like having the extra 8 gallons plus knowing I never have to worry about rust and since I use a heavy gauged aluminum sheet I don't have to worry about something puncturing very easily. It looks really good to for shows. Powder coat the straps and it really looks nice
    sandblasting gas tank 73397710

Post by Guest Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:44 pm

Something to watch out for if you decide to sand blast the inside of the tank. The fuel filler tube and the vent tube both actually protrude into the interior of the tank by about 1/4". This may make it almost impossible to get all of the sand out of the inside and that is something I wouldnt want working its way through my fuel system. I had a hell of a time steam cleaning the inside of my tank for this very reason. You can never really get all of the crap out of it, which is why I am fighting chunks plugging my supply line on occasion.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:44 pm