VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+3
Twinpilot001
Big W
bumpbug
7 posters

YOUR TOOL OF CHOICE FOR CUTTING AND WELDING

bumpbug

Number of posts : 147
    Registration date : 2010-01-16

YOUR TOOL OF CHOICE FOR CUTTING AND WELDING Empty YOUR TOOL OF CHOICE FOR CUTTING AND WELDING

Post by bumpbug Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:30 pm

What do you use for cutting sheet metal and what welder do you use, Just want to get a idea of what brands types or what ever are the most popular. Air or electric cutters, plasma, do you like what you are using or do you wish you had ? instead. Any tips or tricks that you have found that work that you didn't know when you started your projects ?
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

YOUR TOOL OF CHOICE FOR CUTTING AND WELDING Empty Re: YOUR TOOL OF CHOICE FOR CUTTING AND WELDING

Post by Big W Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:57 pm

I found that a pair of electric nibblers work really well and don't distort the metel. I used a pair of these when I made all the body skins for a 1924 Dodge Brothers Truck. (Graham Brothers). Only down side was all the little half moons of metel it would leave behind. Had to sweep a bit while using them, and if you walked on them they would stick to the bottom of your footware. But all in all they did a great job and very quick to.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

YOUR TOOL OF CHOICE FOR CUTTING AND WELDING Empty Re: YOUR TOOL OF CHOICE FOR CUTTING AND WELDING

Post by Twinpilot001 Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:05 pm

plasma cutter & anything lincoln builds - used ac-dc machines , Mig & tig welgers- I will add from a costs standpoint now -Harbor freight has some mig machines-I own 1 now - also if you want a all aroung one get their 220volt machine . Try craigs list for used or even free welders-many just taking up space as people have updated them.
    Army of Six
    Army of Six

Number of posts : 241
    Registration date : 2010-10-02

Post by Army of Six Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:28 pm

ive used a good ole high speed grinder with a 4.5 inch cut off wheel for a loong time with a Harbor freight 110 MIG welder. I didnt realize what a crappy welder it was until i bought my Lincoln 140 110V MIG welder. I LOVE THAT THING. spend the extra money now. I still use the cut off wheel on occasion but i did recently splurge and bought a Hobart Plasma cutter. Its a lot cleaner and faster than the cut off wheel but you can only but (realistically) up to 3/16 thick steel. Ive used my trusty harbor freaight grinder/cut off wheel to cut 1/2 titanium back in the day.
    jrinaman
    jrinaman

Number of posts : 890
    Registration date : 2011-03-10

Post by jrinaman Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:09 pm

most of my cutting is with an angle grinder. i weld thin metal with a mig and heavier with a stick welder, both are lincoln.
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:32 pm

For sheetmetal I use everything from snips to a plasma cutter, just depends on what yer doing. plasma works great for cutting out rusty stuff , just have extra tips. I picked up this Thermal dynamics for 1800 $ cuts up to 3/4" , way overkill for auto stuff but we get into heavy stuff here and it can be wired for 440 volts. Miller makes some nice suitcase sized plasma that run on 110 or 220 and cut up to 3/8 for alot less. I also have a lincoln 140 MIg,, I like it alot.
    YOUR TOOL OF CHOICE FOR CUTTING AND WELDING Needfu10
    Other than heating up rusty bolts, the gas torches dont do much anymore. Like most things , the plasma prefers clean metal, thick paint can make it stick and blow holes.
    61econoline
    61econoline

Number of posts : 655
    Registration date : 2009-04-16

Post by 61econoline Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:23 pm

I do most of my cutting with either a 3 inch air powered cut-of tool from HFT or a 4 1/2 inch electric grinder with a metal cutting wheel,Welder is a lincoln Mig.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 6:47 pm