VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

engine swap ?

Rayallen
    Rayallen

Number of posts : 648
    Registration date : 2011-06-27

engine swap ? Empty engine swap ?

Post by Rayallen Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:11 am

Although I still dont have my 64 Econoline panel in my drive way im brain storming some changes for when it gets here. New Tires/wheels, disc brakes in front, retrofit AC, motor(more power)

When it arrives it will have the 170ci motor which from my understanding was pretty standard for that year and put out around 110hp and thats when it was new. A guy in my area is selling a 1968 ford straight 300ci motor for $150 it was in his truck with a 3 in the column, same as my van.

How difficult will the swap out be? Any changes that are going to have to be made to the tranny or drive shaft or will it be a simple lift out and drop in. Bear with me guys in new to these motors and 3 in the tree and am learning as I go. If this isnt super difficult for a guy like me with limited mechanic skills the increase in power will be worth it I think. Does the 300 still give decent fuel economy?

-Ray
    Rayallen
    Rayallen

engine swap ? Empty Re: engine swap ?

Post by Rayallen Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:13 am

There are also a couple of 200ci available in my area, but I figure the bigger CI the better.
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by sasktrini Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:47 am

The 200 is a straight swap... same engine block... the small six aka Falcon Six. The 300 is "the Big Six" block, that would require the engine crossmember (rather than the lateral engine mounting arms that were used through 1964). 300 block is the same as the 240 blocks that were used from 65-67. So you might want to shop for a crossmember if you go that route.

You may also have to use the tranny from the truck... the one in the van is likely a Ford 3.03, which may not handle the extra power boost from a 170 -> 300. 3.03 would be fine with the 200. Truck tranny may need shorter tailshaft... imagine the driveshaft length and angle differences between the mid-mounted engine in the Econoline versus that in an F150...

Easiest upgrade would be to go with the 200.

Biggest problem with the 170 is the rear gearing is 4.00 or 4.11 I believe, which makes it good for in-town courier purposes, but really wail on the highway. Other stock gear ratio in the standard rear axles was 3.50, which I bet a 200 could handle fine. Might be a bit of a bear for the 170 to get that gear ratio rolling, especially on an uphill slope, three-on-the-tree, and that long clutch pedal travel!

If you check out www.fordsix.com they have an awesome forum dedicated to Falcon Sixes and Big Sixes! Invaluable resource!!!

Last edited by sasktrini on Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:50 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : url mistake)
    Rayallen
    Rayallen

Post by Rayallen Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:52 am

Thanks Corey that really helped a lot. After I posted i found the link to fordsix and figured out the 300ci is going to be a motor and tranny change which I really want to avoid from now.

Besides getting a little more power I will be driving the van on highway trips camping, car shows etc. and figured a upgrade was best because ive heard about how hard the little 170 has to work at higher speeds. Im going to look into getting a 200 for a swap.

-Ray

sasktrini
    sasktrini

Post by sasktrini Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:01 am

When you get your van, you will either find for a rear axle:

1) the "Peanut", a 7 3/4" (?) diff, rear access cover, either 3.50 or 4.00 ratios available. You may be able to purchase 3.50 ring and pinion kit for it on eBay.

2) Ford 9", used in the Heavy Duty Econolines. There, your gearing options are more easily accessible. These axles have the drop-out diff carrier on the front side, rear has a dome shape.

ALSO Vanishing Breed has recently hopped up a 200 with parts available from an Arizona vendor... I think the same one that's associated with the FordSix site. You should talk to him about all the bolt-on hop-ups he treated his new van to!
    Rayallen
    Rayallen

Post by Rayallen Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:10 am

sweet good to know.
    bumpbug

Number of posts : 147
    Registration date : 2010-01-16

Post by bumpbug Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:46 pm

Look at the 250 motor, someone on here is doing it and I don't want to say who but he can chime in if he want's too. I don't remember if it was open info. It is in the same family as the 170 and 200 block and is in the older mavericks and things. Don't know all the particulars on it but caught my interest.
    southern man
    southern man

Number of posts : 486
    Registration date : 2008-05-21

Post by southern man Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:48 pm

I have a '64 with a 200 and 9" rear with 3.50 gears. IMO this will work well for you and be the least hassle/expense. I originally had the 4.00 peanut and the thing screamed at 55. You'll have plenty of grunt with a 3.50 but better driveability.

Clifford Performance is the parts place for these motors. I have their headers (bronco, 3/3 split outlets).
    Rayallen
    Rayallen

Post by Rayallen Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:50 pm

Clifford was brought to my attention from another member as well, must be good stuff. Going to find me a 200 motor and buy some goodies for it.
    Rayallen
    Rayallen

Post by Rayallen Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:04 pm

so far no luck, Ive found three straight six 250ci and two 300ci but no 200s. The ones I thought were 200s wound up being 250s.

The search is on
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Post by sasktrini Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:22 am

250 is a small six, rarer as I think it was only produced for a two or three year run... 240 and 300 big six replaced it. 250 would be a great choice I do believe. Surprised that you found 250s but not 200s!

So go for a 250... straight swap!
    econopoor
    econopoor
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1747
    Registration date : 2010-04-18

Post by econopoor Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:18 am

A 250 is not a straight swap. It uses the big bolt pattern bell housing that the 240 and small block V8 uses. It won't fit in the 61-64 doghouse. You will have to add a hump in the back for it as well as change the trans to the longer input shaft that a 240 uses. The engine mounts are also different. The 250 is an inch wider in the oil pan and that makes the mount boss' wider. The mounts would have to be fab'd. It's also too powerful for the engine arms. I would use a full crossmember to install it. A 250 is a good engine but it takes a lot of work to put one in an early Econoline. The 200 is the only bolt in upgrade available.

Duane in Tennessee
    Rayallen
    Rayallen

Post by Rayallen Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:27 am

econopoor wrote:A 250 is not a straight swap. It uses the big bolt pattern bell housing that the 240 and small block V8 uses. It won't fit in the 61-64 doghouse. You will have to add a hump in the back for it as well as change the trans to the longer input shaft that a 240 uses. The engine mounts are also different. The 250 is an inch wider in the oil pan and that makes the mount boss' wider. The mounts would have to be fab'd. It's also too powerful for the engine arms. I would use a full crossmember to install it. A 250 is a good engine but it takes a lot of work to put one in an early Econoline. The 200 is the only bolt in upgrade available.

Duane in Tennessee

From my reading this is what I understood as well. A guy here in San Antonio has 2 250s and another has 300s. Im gonna keep looking for that 200. Im on a budget. Going to do the 200 with upgrade from Clifford.
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Post by sasktrini Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:59 am

I stand corrected... wasn't aware of those differences... I recall reading about the 250 in my Ford Six manual, but obviously not because it was the same as the others.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 9:17 am