VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Leaf Shackles

white-lightning
    white-lightning

Number of posts : 237
    Registration date : 2011-02-24

Leaf Shackles Empty Leaf Shackles

Post by white-lightning Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:07 pm

Who has replaced their leaf shackles? My front driver side bushings are shot and need replacing (shackle touching the frame bracket). I found listings on Rock Auto for the rear, but not the front. I measures mine and the shackle appears to be the same, but are the bushings the same? I went on Spring n Things and requested a quote last week, but have not got any responses since the automated one. This is the only thing besides bleeding the brakes well stopping me from taking it for a spin, since who knows when.

Patrick
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Leaf Shackles Empty Re: Leaf Shackles

Post by Digz Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:47 pm

Check with these guys. State Spring of Grand Rapids MI 1-800-727-8729
    Ask for a guy named Jeff, I got some shackle bushings a couple weeks ago, Its worth a toll free call anyway. The bushing themselves are #HB889 my cost for 8 was 15.68 plus tax and Im not sure what the shipping would be ,but Id wager not alot. If you need the entire shackle set up it sounded like he might havea source for those also, not sure there.
    Joe
    white-lightning
    white-lightning

Post by white-lightning Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:34 pm

Cool. Thanks for the part number. I checked Rock Auto and I can get 8 of them for 13.82 plus shipping. My bushings are shot but the shackles appear fine. I guess I need to remove the old bushings is a big hammer and drift to knock the out right?
    white-lightning
    white-lightning

Post by white-lightning Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:43 pm

Are the bushings for the fixed end of the leafs the same as the shackle bushings?
    slowflapper
    slowflapper

Number of posts : 956
    Registration date : 2010-07-29

Post by slowflapper Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:02 pm

white-lightning wrote:Are the bushings for the fixed end of the leafs the same as the shackle bushings?

nope.

If you call springs and things they'll typically ship the same day, the entire kit for mine was about $80.
    white-lightning
    white-lightning

Post by white-lightning Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:33 pm

I guess I'll give them a call this week and get everything for the front springs. Looks like $48 plus shipping if I go with the rubber ones.
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:51 pm

Remember the bolts that go through the shackles bushes are a shouldered bolt, geez my memory sucks ,, I just did this 2 weeks ago, but remove the 7/16 nuts? and what you have is a center that is 1/2 or 9/16" ? anyway one side is knurled into the strap. I used that big C=clamp press we always show pics of to get some of them pushed out using some sized pins as it got pushed through further and then used a torch to heat up the shackle bolt to loosen it from the rubber so ya can work it out, keep water handy! You will want to try to save the shackle hardware if you can. The shouldered bolts make it so you can not over tighten things. You might be able to do it all with just some heat and no press, I was just trying to keep the flame part to a minimum. affraid

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:55 am