VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Alternator Output / Overcharging?

slowflapper
    slowflapper

Number of posts : 956
    Registration date : 2010-07-29

Alternator Output / Overcharging? Empty Alternator Output / Overcharging?

Post by slowflapper Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:03 am

Hey folks,
    My Alt is putting 14.6v on the battery pretty much constantly, the battery is starting to sweat fluid on top because of it. I've swapped volt regulators (two diff ones) and it's the same deal, what am I missing here? I thought it should charge then stop?
    Stoopid john
    Stoopid john

Number of posts : 265
    Registration date : 2011-06-03

Alternator Output / Overcharging? Empty Re: Alternator Output / Overcharging?

Post by Stoopid john Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:23 am

14.6 is ok, have you had your battery checked? A weak battery can made an alt charge harder. When i got my van it was charging at 19.8 and the battery didn't leak a drop.

I did the GM one wire swap and i see 14.5-14.6 all the time.

itruns
    itruns

Number of posts : 1605
    Registration date : 2008-07-03

Post by itruns Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:14 am

Do you still have the mechanical VR in there? Running another wire and going with the electronic VR should keep you at 13.8 volts. The mechanical VRs suck.

If you're running an electronic VR, disconnect the VR and see if the alternator is still charging. I once had a Moper that was cooking the battery due to a bad alternator. Slight chance the wire from the alternator to the electronic VR could be grounding out too.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:28 am

Id have the specific gravity in each cell of battery tested. If a Bad one - will tell aly . to give me more charging!! Making batt sweat!
    slowflapper
    slowflapper

Number of posts : 956
    Registration date : 2010-07-29

Post by slowflapper Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:40 am

Good idea's guys thanks!

It's a solid state VR and I tried the spare as well (I carry extras if the cost is cheap).

I'll disconnect the VR and see what it does and I'll have the battery checked. The previous owner put the battery in and I don't think Ive ever seen a cheaper looking one, it could very well be the problem.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:06 am