VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Charging Problems! Totally stumped

elmonto
    elmonto

Number of posts : 56
    Registration date : 2010-07-09

Charging Problems! Totally stumped Empty Charging Problems! Totally stumped

Post by elmonto Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:33 pm

Allright guys im totally stumped on this one. I swapped out my generator cuz it was going out and only charging at around 11-12 volts, now that im finally done swapping in a new alternator and voltage reg. its only charging at like 12.04 volts wtf? At this point i have no clue what to check or try, please help me out. Oh ya its on my 62 falcon (170 block 200 head) if that helps any. Pretty much everything has been replaced.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Charging Problems! Totally stumped Empty Re: Charging Problems! Totally stumped

Post by Twinpilot001 Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:05 pm

RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:21 pm

I can tell you that you need to look at ALL the circuit.
    Battery - fully charged and load tested.
    Battery cables - not corroded and connected to clean bare metal at both ends.
    Ground strap from block to body - not corroded and connected to clean bare metal at both ends.
    Generator - tested, installed to clean bare metal bracket, belt tight.
    Regulator - attached to clean bare metal and connectors clean and tight too.
    Harness - This is where you can stumble, each wire must be in good condition and be able to pass the current without a voltage drop.
    Do a search for voltage drop to see how this test is done.

Post by Guest Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:28 pm

I have the same problem. Everything is clean and connected right. Sometimes it charges at 14, but sometimes it stays below 12... and when the turn signal is on it jumps down and up.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 8:44 am