VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
donivan65
heretic
6 posters

Stumped - Van keeps stalling

heretic
    heretic

Number of posts : 71
    Registration date : 2010-12-29

Stumped - Van keeps stalling Empty Stumped - Van keeps stalling

Post by heretic Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:21 am

My Van: 69' G20 3/4ton 307/th350

The van starts & idles just fine but as soon as I put it in gear it stalls the motor. It will start right back up as if nothing is wrong.

I can get to stay running in gear using the choke. Once the van is driving I can return the choke to off & the van seems to drive fine (max speed so far 50mph) until I come to a slow crawl or stop & then the motor dies but will start right back up without hesitation. What kind of problem should I be looking for.

I've checked or replaced:
    carburetor
    cap, rotor, condenser & points
    plugs & wires
    set timing

thanks for any help.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Stumped - Van keeps stalling Empty Re: Stumped - Van keeps stalling

Post by donivan65 Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:35 am

So,,,,,,it seems like the idle mixture is too lean at idle under a load,,,,,it can't handle the load,,,,is there too much load,,,,,,is that torque convertor not releasing??? do you have a vacuum leak that the mixture can't keep up with,,,,spray the outside of the carb and the intake manifold with carb cleaner while it is dying to see if the RPM's pick up,,do you have the mixture screws adjusted correctly????? Is it an automatic trans carburetor? They have bigger jets to handle the torque convertor load at idle,,,,,is it idle set too low?
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:43 am

Idle speed in Park should be ~900 RPM. About a 200 RPM drop in gear. With a razor sharp tune, you can lower those numbers 1-200 RPM. However, I usually don't on these vans due to slow fan speed and likely tired engine which means low oil pressure. So let's just go with the first specs.
    Idle mixture is important at idle, it's the only circuit feeding fuel to the motor.
    Also look at initial timing and if the vacuum advance is connected to manifold vacuum or ported vacuum. I prefer around 5-10 BTDC initial timing with the vacuum advance disconnected. If connected to manifold vacuum, the drop in RPM from trans drag plus the drop in vacuum can often cause the engine to die. It takes a bit more finesse to get these to be happy. If it's connected to ported vacuum, it should not be getting vacuum at idle.
    Also check for vacuum leaks. You didn't mention idle quality, but if it's rough, one or more cylinders could be lean at idle, causing them to not pull their fair share.

I have had some Chevys, mainly PG equipped, that pulled down 3-400 RPM at idle. It's a function of a tight torque converter. Then you have to carefully balance idle in gear with idle in Park so it doesn't diesel.
    So, set the points to 30 degrees, timing at 5-10 BTDC, set idle at 900 in Park, adjust the carb for best smooth idle, make sure there are no leaks and then drop it into gear. If it dies, raise the idle speed 100 RPM and readjust the carb. Once it idles in gear, re-adjust the idle mix for best idle. You can use a vacuum gauge or a tach until you develop the 'feel'.
    VAcuum should be 16-18" at idle in Park, 13-15" in gear, although a tight converter can pull it down more.
    heretic
    heretic

Number of posts : 71
    Registration date : 2010-12-29

Post by heretic Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:53 am

THANK YOU both !!!!

Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Stumped - Van keeps stalling Empty internal

Post by Twinpilot001 Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:54 am

Keeps running when using the choke=??: that is specific to the carn =NOT =getting enough fuel. Cutting down airflow9choke) is typical of an internel fuel flow problem. Take carb apart & look to see if the jets are coroded or some trash has entered float bowl & has some part of jets or areas inside clogged up?
    Scott
    Scott

Number of posts : 1651
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by Scott Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:08 pm

Did you replace it with a factory carburetor, or an aftermarket?

If it's a different one, what's the spec's?
    ChevyVanMan1

Number of posts : 425
    Registration date : 2009-07-19

Post by ChevyVanMan1 Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:07 pm

Also, don't count on the timing being right per the markers on the lower pulley--Harmonic Balancer. The outside rings can spin around as the 40 year old rubber contracts. Might check it against TDC of #1 to see if close. Also, if you have really bad compression in a number of the cylinders they can idle okay yet have no power under load. Hopefully that's not the case as getting compression back is pretty much a rebuild. Good luck and please tell us what was the fix.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 2:57 pm