VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+3
DanTheVanMan
G-Man
Scott
7 posters

What’s with the Blue or Red Bowties?

Scott
    Scott

Number of posts : 1651
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

What’s with the Blue or Red Bowties? Empty What’s with the Blue or Red Bowties?

Post by Scott Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:37 am

I’ve been trying to figure out if there’s any significants to having either a Red or Blue Chevy bowtie.

The LMC pickup catalog shows,

67 and 68 - Red Bowties
    69 and 70 – Blue Bowties
    71 and 72 – Dark Blue Bowties

But that may not apply to vans; looking through the gallery I see red bowties on all different years.

I thought maybe it was red on the G20 vans, but I think I’ve seen a few 1st Generations with Red.

The Plant wouldnt randomly choose the color, there must be something to this..

Maybe up to the dealer?

What’s with the Blue or Red Bowties? Empty Re: What’s with the Blue or Red Bowties?

Post by Guest Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:36 pm

bule is for boys red is for girls sorry couldnt resist I have no cule but someone here will know
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

What’s with the Blue or Red Bowties? Empty Re: What’s with the Blue or Red Bowties?

Post by G-Man Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:23 pm

I have a 69 G20 with a blue bowtie. I think for the most part G20's have blue, but savage says he has a red on a G20. scratch

Post by Guest Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:19 am

Put GMC emblems on the van and then you won't have to worry about it. tongue

Post by Guest Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:05 am

I've always seen red on all flat windows. Red on 1/2 ton and blue on 3/4 ton curved glass vans.
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

What’s with the Blue or Red Bowties? Empty Bowties....

Post by DanTheVanMan Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:39 pm

KC wrote:I've always seen red on all flat windows. Red on 1/2 ton and blue on 3/4 ton curved glass vans.

I have a 1966 (1205) affraid 1/2 ton with a "BLUE" bowtie.....
    Scott
    Scott

Post by Scott Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:55 pm

And I thought that was the answer.. Sad

I was going to spend my time tonight looking through the posted pictures to see if it held.

Now, the question is were some of these bowties replaced, or is there something else to it?
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:16 pm

[quote="Scott"]And I thought that was the answer.. Sad quote]

Scott,
    I had asked this question on other sites as well and got all kinds of answers.
    Years, models, Gen's and Wt. class's. Don't really think anyone really know's. I even asked my dad who was in GM research from 1960-1986 and he said it most likely was a 1/2ton and a 3/4ton model thing. Which would mean mine got a new emblem at some point if that is true but he didn't know for sure...... Question Question Question Question

Dan

DanTheVanMan
    Suspect Suspect Suspect
    itruns
    itruns

Number of posts : 1605
    Registration date : 2008-07-03

Post by itruns Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:12 pm

Could be it was whatever they had in stock that week? Wouldn't be as controversial as when they put Chevy engines in Oldsmobiles or whatever.
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

What’s with the Blue or Red Bowties? Empty Bow ties...

Post by DanTheVanMan Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:54 pm

itruns wrote:Could be it was whatever they had in stock that week? Wouldn't be as controversial as when they put Chevy engines in Oldsmobiles or whatever.

Ya know. That's the first thing I've heard on this subject that acually makes sense.....

cheers cheers cheers cheers
    texasjohn
    texasjohn

Number of posts : 672
    Registration date : 2008-06-01

Post by texasjohn Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:53 pm

Well noone has thought of this so i'll throw it in. Was there more than one assembly plant, red from one plant and blue from another? Just another option. Would like to know for my Trival Prusuit Arsonal..oh wait, i dont play trivial prusuit. Howbout useless information for 300 bob.

Post by Guest Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:20 am

here one my 69 never had one on it ?. and my 64 was chrome never had paint on it. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm'.
    veefre
    veefre

Number of posts : 424
    Registration date : 2008-09-10

Post by veefre Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:33 pm

'67 Panel... 1/2 ton... red (faded)...

Of course a little blue powder and 25 minutes in the oven could fix that Cool

Post by Guest Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:26 pm

I don't know. My van was origionally red and came with a blue bow tie. (1970 G-10)

Scott wrote:I’ve been trying to figure out if there’s any significants to having either a Red or Blue Chevy bowtie.

The LMC pickup catalog shows,

67 and 68 - Red Bowties
    69 and 70 – Blue Bowties
    71 and 72 – Dark Blue Bowties

But that may not apply to vans; looking through the gallery I see red bowties on all different years.

I thought maybe it was red on the G20 vans, but I think I’ve seen a few 1st Generations with Red.

The Plant wouldnt randomly choose the color, there must be something to this..

Maybe up to the dealer?
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:23 pm

Mike Van Mann Welcome to the site!!! I am beginning to think it's whatever color they grabbed on the assy line.
    PolarBear2
    PolarBear2

Number of posts : 183
    Registration date : 2008-05-16

Post by PolarBear2 Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:08 am

I'll throw in blindly......

I've owned 3 `69 G10's. Two of them Factory V8's, 1 6cyl.

The 2 V8's had Blue Bowties and the 6 had a Red one. scratch
    Scott
    Scott

Post by Scott Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:51 am

I gave up on this one, there seems to be no rime or reason to it..

Just thought it would be cool to just look at the bowtie and know right off if its a G20, or a certain year, or whatever.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 5:40 am