VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+5
benwah
savage
sasktrini
donivan65
wacko
9 posters

How hard is it to get rid of stripped vehicle?

wacko
    wacko

Number of posts : 423
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

How hard is it to get rid of stripped vehicle? Empty How hard is it to get rid of stripped vehicle?

Post by wacko Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:37 am

Just wondering if I were to purchase a parts van, strip what i need off of it. How hard is it to dispose of? Will a wrecker buy it (take it)? Do I have to pay someone or just get it to there yard? Any info helpful. I have seen that Donivan has been involved in doing this a few times, but it looks like maybe already at a salvage yard?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

How hard is it to get rid of stripped vehicle? Empty Re: How hard is it to get rid of stripped vehicle?

Post by donivan65 Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:04 am

You don't want to give anyone the impression that you stole the vehicle and ran a chop shop. So its good to have some kind of paperwork and the VIN plate. And find a place, a wrecking yard, or scrap metal yard, and tell them what you are going to do and if they will take it. And it depends if you filed any legal paperwork to the authorities,,,you need to get your name off it.
    wacko
    wacko

Number of posts : 423

How hard is it to get rid of stripped vehicle? Empty Re: How hard is it to get rid of stripped vehicle?

Post by wacko Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:00 pm

Thanks Don, I will make a few calls.
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067

Post by sasktrini Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:04 pm

I never thought of that donivan! That's great advice!
    savage
    savage

Number of posts : 2626
    Registration date : 2008-05-15

Post by savage Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:45 pm

Around here you just need to cut it up(or in 2) then take it in (in 2 trips) If you don't have a title
    benwah
    benwah

Number of posts : 1135
    Registration date : 2008-07-05

Post by benwah Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:47 am

i think the laws differ form state to state in ct anything over 10 years old you dont need any paper work . just wright down the vin on a bill of sale , i wouldnt worry about the neighbors thinking your running a chop shop unless you plan on stripping a brand new lexus at midnight
    BvrWally
    BvrWally

Number of posts : 946
    Registration date : 2008-05-19

Post by BvrWally Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:08 am

When I was in the Carson City/Reno area 2 years ago...I saw they just stripped the vehicle within a few hundred feet of the local Pull-a-Part and leave it on the street!!! I guess they expected the yard to do the rest? lol
    B.W.
    savage
    savage

Number of posts : 2626
    Registration date : 2008-05-15

Post by savage Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:03 pm

Heck in Chicago & St Louis I have seen striped cars setting on the sde of the road.
    boroop
    boroop

Number of posts : 92
    Registration date : 2008-09-22

Post by boroop Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:09 pm

Dad and I had a parts car that we had a local yard come by and pick it up for free. It still had a couple useful panels and some bad glass. Smile

They drove over with the truck and loaded it up, tied it down and drove away. I'd imagine if they have any use for any of the parts your local yard may do the same.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:28 pm

Save all that you can,,,,because someday,,,,,,someone will be wanting those parts,,,,,,These Vans aint going away if we can help it,,,,
    jkr
    jkr

Number of posts : 1148
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by jkr Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:42 pm

here in my area of the great white north P.E.I. they actually pay you for scrap cars. about all you need is some sort of registration that the car is yours to sell and instant cash. i hope in a week or two to get a $100.00 for my 1997 caravan that is slowly self destructing with every bump on the road i hit.
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:45 pm

A few months ago around here when scrap was high all you have needed to do is put FREE on it and it would have been gone the next day.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 6:26 am