VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+6
Twinpilot001
jrinaman
whopman
donivan65
m1dadio
cculella
10 posters

Straight Six 230 side plate leak

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Straight Six 230 side plate leak - Page 2 Empty Re: Straight Six 230 side plate leak

Post by donivan65 Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:42 pm

Take the distributor out and use a drill with a long screwdriver type bit to reach down in there and turn the oil pump until you get tired or you get pressure

Straight Six 230 side plate leak - Page 2 Empty Re: Straight Six 230 side plate leak

Post by Guest Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:12 pm

Then I would have to reset the timing. Unless you have a trick up your sleeve to not have to reset the timing. Very Happy
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:21 pm

Maybe if you run the engine for 5 minutes the oil pump will start pumping,,,,,or,,,,maybe the engine will burn up,,,,,,I would do the right thing and turn that pump with a drill until you get oil pressure and see oil up on the rocker arms,,,,,mark the distributor,,,,you can get it back pretty close,,,,,,you are asking for trouble with no oil pressure,,,,,,
    ChevyVanMan1

Number of posts : 425
    Registration date : 2009-07-19

Post by ChevyVanMan1 Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:34 pm

Drill at distributor is the way to go IMHO. Much easier to make a mark and R&R than have to redo all your bearings. Engines need oil pressure right away or it's metal on metal for the whole time. Good luck.

Post by Guest Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:59 pm

Tried the drill. Not sure if my drill has enough RPMs. I spun counterclock wise briefly and the oil sounded like it went back into the pan. I spun clockwise and the drill bogged down after a few seconds as if the oil was being sucked up. But I spun the drill for about 2 minutes and no oil came out the top of engine. (I removed the valve cover).
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:36 pm

Is this a stupid idea?? Take the oil filter off and then hit it with the drill again to see if it is moving oil at all. Check the filter for some kind of blockage or change it if it does. Just something I might check.
    wideload
    wideload
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 1388
    Registration date : 2008-05-11

Post by wideload Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:19 pm

Make sure the screwdriver/bit your using is fitting down in the slot on the oil pump and that your not just spinning around on top of it.

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:00 pm

If the drill bogs down when turning clockwise, then it is pumping,,,,,remove the sending unit, see if it squirts out,,,,,it takes a long time for the oil to get up to the rocker arm,,,,and,,,,it is possible that the distributor needs to be in because it keeps the oil from going back down into the pan instead of going through the galleries,,,,see if oil is flowing down there in the pump hole as you turn the pump,,,,,,
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:42 am

got an old distributor?? remove the points plate & drive that shaft with a drill - make sure u turn it both ways with the drill - many prople have made a bad decision by thinking theyre turning the drill/pump in the correct way-hehe -no oil being pumped. yes =u can pull the filter-usually never a bad filter-yet possible? Summitt also has some tools for that very job too!! If memory serves me correctly??haha?? the chevy v=8's had to turn that pump shaft =counter =clockwise!! 6's may be same ??
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:46 am

HEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! affraid just went back on the previous posts -new pump????????????? you will never ever get any pressure without priming a new pump!! Must be done - now if that engine has ran any lenght of time?? its damaged ! Must have oil pressure - pull the pump =prime it & while ur there -pull the rear main cap =largest one @ rear & look @ the wear ?? Hope all is good . Shocked

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 16, 2024 6:49 pm