VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

Replacement '67-69 side mirrors

veefre
    veefre

Number of posts : 424
    Registration date : 2008-09-10

Replacement '67-69 side mirrors Empty Replacement '67-69 side mirrors

Post by veefre Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:48 am

My '67 came with replacement side mirrors. These are the kind that are all metal and mount more or less where the stock mirrors mounted, under the window sill line.

The problem with the replacement mirrors was that they were chromed steel. The chrome plating is very thin and the surface gets rust stain spots rather quickly. Chrome polish removes them, mostly, although the lower edge near the glass starts to show definite signs of deeper corrosion.

Backing out of my carport a few weeks ago, I managed to catch the RH mirror on a pillar and it crunched enough to crack the mirror. In the course of trying to find a replacement, I happened across the fact that there is now an all-stainless version. It's the "Fit Systems" 3623GM model, designed for full size GM pickups '73-87 and vans 78-96.

The one drawback is that the mirror portion is about 1" wider than the chromed version, so it requires even more caution when navigating tight spaces, but I figure it's worth it if it doesn't rust out like the chromed ones do.

The rubber bushing around the mirror stalk also seems to be improved, so that the mirror stays put when adjusted. I had to stick a section of a bicycle inner tube around the old chromed version stalk so that it would stay in place.

Also, this isn't an exact mounting pattern as stock. The necessary holes were already drilled for the chrome replacements, though. Basically, one of the original upper holes is used, with two newer holes for the other mounting points. All I had to do was to slot out the lower hole in the bracket to make it fit. Also had to slot out the hole for the little screw that holds the bracket cover in place. No biggie. A little hand filing with a round file was all it took in both cases.

If purchasing in store (like Pep Boys) check and make sure that the plastic mounting cushion and all the nuts and bolts are included. Sometimes the packages are opened and these items are missing. I was able to get one intact mirror at Pep Boys, but had to order a second one online. The second mirror was much cheaper: $18 with free shipping vs. $30 at Pep Boys.
    panelmanrd
    panelmanrd

Number of posts : 801
    Registration date : 2009-10-04

Replacement '67-69 side mirrors Empty Re: Replacement '67-69 side mirrors

Post by panelmanrd Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:09 pm

I have found sets of these mirrors with electric adjustability at the local
    pick and pull yards, just on later year chevy vans.
    veefre
    veefre

Post by veefre Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:32 am

panelmanrd wrote:I have found sets of these mirrors with electric adjustability at the local
    pick and pull yards, just on later year chevy vans.

I didn't think of that option, although our local junkyard (which had the best selection of vehicles) has gone under and I've yet to find a suitable local van graveyard to pillage.

What would really be nice is side mirrors that fold flat against the doors at the touch of a button.

But the new stainless ones are definitely a cosmetic improvement over the older chromed steel ones. Even if they tend to vibrate more than the older ones.
    panelmanrd
    panelmanrd

Number of posts : 801
    Registration date : 2009-10-04

Post by panelmanrd Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:23 pm

late model ford pick-ups have that option, but the way they mount would
    be a real bitch to make work. they mount in a triangle area at the front lower
    corner of the windows.
    veefre
    veefre

Post by veefre Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:52 pm

Well, I guess I'm ok with the non-folding mirrors for now. They will move back if you push on them from the front. The little event in the carport didn't give them much chance, though, as the pillar impacted the edge of the mirror when I was backing out. It bent the metal on the outer edge, which in turn cracked the glass. I had put in the clutch pedal when I saw the pillar was coming too close, but the van kept on going ;-). Now I just park it a respectful distance from the pillars and that should be enough.

Fortunately the door sheet metal wasn't bent in the process.

Replacement '67-69 side mirrors Empty New Mirrors

Post by Guest Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:15 am

Does anyone have a link to replacement mirrors? In all of the pictures of vans that I see, the mirrors are these large truck-style mirrors that mount under the window and up to the top of the window. However, on my 1967 G10 there are three small holes about halfway up the front edge of the door in front of the vent window where we think the original mirrors were mounted. I can't find a picture of this though. Can anyone help?
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:17 am

Welcome to the site mattilas67, They could have been Jr west coasts like mine or the small swan mirrors which are hard to find
    veefre
    veefre

Post by veefre Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:19 pm

mattilas67 wrote:Does anyone have a link to replacement mirrors? In all of the pictures of vans that I see, the mirrors are these large truck-style mirrors that mount under the window and up to the top of the window. However, on my 1967 G10 there are three small holes about halfway up the front edge of the door in front of the vent window where we think the original mirrors were mounted. I can't find a picture of this though. Can anyone help?

These are the ones I used, which are similar to those in the thumbnail photo of my van on the upper right of this post.

"Fit Systems" 3623GM model, designed for full size GM pickups '73-87 and vans 78-96.

The holes are not exact matches to the replacement mirrors. However, you can get one or two of the original holes to fit, and drill one or two more holes to match the replacement mirror template, and the replacement mirror will cover up any unused holes in the door panel.

Make sure you get the stainless steel versions. They are slightly larger than the chromed steel versions, but will last a lot longer. The chromed steel ones start to rust the moment they are installed.
    veefre
    veefre

Post by veefre Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:29 pm

I got one replacement mirror at Pep Boys. O'Reilly/Kragen may also sell them.

The other one I got off eBay.

Here's a photo of it:

Replacement '67-69 side mirrors Kgrhqi10

And here's an eBay link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/K-Source-3623GM-Universal-Replacement-Side-View-Mirror-/280676210760?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item41599b1848
    veefre
    veefre

Post by veefre Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:31 pm

Here's another image, and a link to the mfg (Ksource)

Replacement '67-69 side mirrors 3623gm10

http://www.ksource.org/SearchResultOEReplacement.asp
    pan58head
    pan58head

Number of posts : 512
    Registration date : 2010-03-15

Post by pan58head Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:42 am

Just a note on these mirrors the ones that came on chevy trucks stick out farther than the ones they used on 3rd gen chevy vans. The ones pictured abouve are truck mirrors bob
    veefre
    veefre

Post by veefre Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:07 pm

pan58head wrote:Just a note on these mirrors the ones that came on chevy trucks stick out farther than the ones they used on 3rd gen chevy vans. The ones pictured abouve are truck mirrors bob

Yes, they do stick out about an inch farther than the chromed steel mirrors that came with the van (themselves aftermarket from KSource as well). I don't find the additional width to be a big problem. In fact they give a better view.

Anyway, the stainless steel lasts a lot longer than the cheap chromed finish on the slightly smaller ones.
    Van Halen
    Van Halen

Number of posts : 1785
    Registration date : 2010-04-30

Post by Van Halen Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:27 am

I may have the arms for the mirrors then I wnt to auto zone for the mirror part. Replacement '67-69 side mirrors Vanvan10
    http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Pilot-Automotive-Low-mount-full-size-mirror-for-truck-and-van/_/N-25ci;jsessionid=4DEE4CDB3A25796C5F19472C33357DCB.diyprod4-b2c7?counter=2&itemIdentifier=31947_0_0_

The holes dont line up but the mirror is real close. I just painted them.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:16 pm