VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

Side Mirrors.

ac95
    ac95

Number of posts : 40
    Registration date : 2015-03-16

Side Mirrors.  Empty Side Mirrors.

Post by ac95 Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:47 pm

Hello,

Looking for friend of mine. She has a 65 Econoline Panel van, looks like at some point she has these side mirrors on it. She’s trying to find a pair. I’ve looked on eBay and best I could find was the square mirrors with the arm that had a square base on it. Any help or leads with this is appreciated

Side Mirrors.  6558F53A-03BC-40B3-B68D-28018E460A76_zps0dcxdtup
    vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Side Mirrors.  Empty Re: Side Mirrors.

Post by vanny Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:02 pm

You might want to check with Tim Brogan (EconoUSAparts) or Bruce Williamson (Bruce67Econoline). They usually have some goodies available. Good Luck

Here's an Econoline Parts site on FB... https://www.facebook.com/groups/488475441511953/

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    Seth G
    Seth G
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2086
    Registration date : 2013-04-24

Post by Seth G Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:45 pm

They are pretty hard to find and $$$ when you do, there is a wedge that goes under the mount as well to angle them correctly. They look cool but it's hard to beat the jr west coast style for effectiveness of seeing behind you imo.

Last edited by Seth G on Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
    ac95
    ac95

Number of posts : 40
    Registration date : 2015-03-16

Post by ac95 Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:17 pm

What’s a good source for the Jr West Coast ones? Those do look pretty cool as well.
    Seth G
    Seth G

Post by Seth G Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:25 pm

Get ahold of Vic Lafountaine, he has a bunch of them. vlafountaine@socal.rr.com or phone ate one 8 - three 3 phive - tree oh tree tree. The second gen ones are the same if you modify them slightly, it's easy to do.

The problem with the oem post mirrors, round or square mirror head, is that they are mounted fwd and you have to look through the wing window to see the passengers side rear view, and the post can be in the way. It gets a little dicey getting over on a dual lane road. I have the west coast mirror and 5" convex mirrors mounted below them on the mirror hoop. It makes a world of difference.
    Seth G
    Seth G

Post by Seth G Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:33 pm

Side Mirrors.  <a href=Side Mirrors.  F7sZef

Vic sent me this pic when I was looking for one to go with a nos one I had. I got a good one from him, took it apart to modify the upper mount and Clean/polish any surface rust off near the old fasteners. I replaced all the fasteners w/ SS and used the special rust proof nuts Vic sent me with them.

Unless you need the mirror back to say "ford" or "fomoco", all you need are the hoops and the deflectors. Everything else can be bought new from all the brackets to the mirror head from an outfit in CA

Here's mine next to my friend Mike's both have the west coast mirrors. Either you like them or your don't but they work well.

Side Mirrors.  <a href=Side Mirrors.  SzIyA5

https://www.carid.com/images/cham-cal/catalog.pdf
    jrdunn96
    jrdunn96

Number of posts : 690
    Registration date : 2016-01-01

Post by jrdunn96 Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:44 am

Seth,
    Yours look vertical, while Mike's seem to "lean out" at the top. What is the difference? Or is it just perspective?
    Jim
    Seth G
    Seth G

Post by Seth G Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:08 pm

The difference is his are the 61- 67 type originals. My van had them but they were too far gone to save. The ones on mine now are the 2nd gen type with the top mount cut back to the first hole. The early ones only had one hole in the upper mount. If you were to mount a pair of 2nd gen mirrors as they are his would look like the vertical ones. Seriously though, part of it is probably the angle of the camera and the way we have our mirrors adjusted. I think his mirror head is cockeyed. The hoop is straight I think.
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1306
    Registration date : 2009-06-13

Post by Old Skool Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:35 am

I got lucky and recently found a set of "FORD" stainless mirrors,, they are not out there anymore. The last two sets I sold were the last sets I had with the correct mounts. There also were the same mirrors but said "FOMOCO" on them instead of "FORD". This set has the wind deflectors which I am also out of and difficult to locate. This set with some minor denting that will need some TLC,,, I also bought one more set of the GOOD stainless acorns which dont rust. NO MORE POLISHING acorns,, thats for someone else to do, the last two sets killed me,,, lol..... I also have a set of arms and the factory wedge for sale also,, mirror heads are always an issue which also translates to a GOOD set of arms. So many years of mirror heads with the wrong bolt meaning most people cut the end of the mount part off

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:06 pm