VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

what's different...but what's the same???

mo_1040
    mo_1040

Number of posts : 645
    Registration date : 2008-07-04

what's different...but what's the same??? Empty what's different...but what's the same???

Post by mo_1040 Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:45 pm

I like the post about how to decide what year is what but how about what parts have stayed the same? What parts interchange from 1st gen to 2nd gen?
    Scott
    Scott

Number of posts : 1651
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

what's different...but what's the same??? Empty Re: what's different...but what's the same???

Post by Scott Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:45 pm

I read that GM modeled the G10 front suspension off of the Nova. I don’t know what years, but it would be interesting to compare the part numbers.
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

what's different...but what's the same??? Empty Re: what's different...but what's the same???

Post by G-Man Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:47 pm

I'm sure most of us know that the doors will interchange on all years. There is differant inner hardware and some handles may be differant. Other than the windshield I'm sure most of the glass will interchange also.
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Post by G-Man Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:48 pm

Did some Nova's have a straight axle???
    Scott
    Scott

Number of posts : 1651
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by Scott Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:59 pm

OK, I got it wrong, it wasnt the suspension, it was the engines and brakes from the Chevy II. But wasnt the Chevy II also known as the Nova?

So, if the drum part numbers match between the two, it might open up some other brake upgrade options.

The ChevyVan (1964-1970) was, like the competing Ford Econoline and Dodge A100, a compact van based on a modified passenger car platform. The engine was placed between and behind the front seats with a flat nose. Both engines and brakes were sourced from the Chevy II, a more conventional compact car than Corvair. This model was also sold as the GMC Handi-Van.

Heres the link to the Wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Van
    gp70
    gp70

Number of posts : 162
    Registration date : 2008-05-22

Post by gp70 Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:12 pm

I guess it all depends on what you mean by interchange. All the doors will bolt on but there are still differences. I guess it all depends on how much of a " Purist " you are and how accurate you want your Early to be !

Front Doors
    All will bolt on but there were 3 different window regulators used.
    Style 1 - 64 to 66
    Style 2 - 67
    Style 3 - 68 to 70

Inner handles
    Style 1 - 64 to 67
    Style 2 - 68 to 70 and later actually

Inner door handle mechanisms ( only 99% sure )
    Style 1 - 64 to 67 ( not sure if there are differences between these years )
    Style 2 - 68 to 70

Vent window handles
    Style 1 - 64 to 67
    Style 2 - 68 to 70

This really should been a continuation of the original post and not a new one !
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Post by G-Man Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:23 pm

Scott Being GM liked to use things over I'm sure your right about the engines and brakes from Novas being used. Someone should check out some Nova forums to see what they are doing for front disc brakes.

Post by Guest Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:26 am

I think the 1967 Camaros use the same front brake drums. I know one auto parts place tried to charge me a lot of money for brake cylinders due to the van being uncommon. A vanner nearby informed me that '70 Chevelle brake cyclinders work just fine and cost less.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:26 am

The backing plate assembly from a 64 Chevelle was the same as a 1st Gen,,,,,,you might get lucky on wheel cylinders from something else but the 64-70 Chevy Vans use 9 different types from 13/16" to 1 1/8" and 2 different types of hole patterns depending on what rear end and front axle you have.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 9:38 am