VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

Tailgate issues

blackace
    blackace

Number of posts : 450
    Registration date : 2010-09-16

Tailgate issues Empty Tailgate issues

Post by blackace Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:54 am

I have a tailgate problem on my 68 PU. The issues is that it does not move. Luckily it is in the up position, but I have not been able to get the hinges to budge. They have had 3 bottle of rust breaker fluid put on them with no luck. I have also applied heat to them to try and get them to bust loose but still no go.. Crying or Very sad When I try and get them to move, the tailgate does move about 3/4 of an inch, but it feels more like the sheet metal is flexing, the hinges have not moved at all. I can not get to any of the bolts to get it removed so I can get to just the hinges either. Anyone ever had to deal with this and if so, how did you do it? I would also be very interested in any ideas on how to get this freed up and working.
    benwah
    benwah

Number of posts : 1135
    Registration date : 2008-07-05

Tailgate issues Empty Re: Tailgate issues

Post by benwah Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:47 pm

Your truck has been repainted at some point in its life. Make sure the hinges dont have a thick layer of paint on them restricting movement. Or somehow reassembled wrong. Without any pictures im just guessing. I have come across some door hinges that froze up from sitting 20+ years . As for adding heat, plumbers torch or asetteline/propane? Get them hinges cherry red! A plumbers torch wont do.
    blackace
    blackace

Post by blackace Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:32 pm

I am going to get some pics here soon. The truck has been repainted but I did not see anything that would keep it from moving.. and you are correct, I did use a plumbers torch. I will get a bigger one and see if that helps. Thanks
    blackace
    blackace

Post by blackace Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:41 am

Here are pics of the tailgate hinge. Have not been able to get the screws to break loose.

Tailgate issues 68_tru12

Tailgate issues 68_tru13

Post by Guest Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:58 am

I don't know who makes it but a friend of mine told me there is a clamp type tool that holds the outside of the hinge and pushes the pin out without removing the hinge from the vehicle. Maybe Kent-Moore.. At least you could then get at the screws without the tailgate being in the way. The tool was used on Suburbans and Tahoes and the likes of those vehicles. Any dealership mechanic types please chime in. Larry Gill in East China Mi.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:35 am

Just some suggestions= Heat with a torch- Cutting type - cherry red- walk away till cool. Do it again yet not so red - try punching out the oin with a large punch- not a small one so as to see if it(pin) is moving-if it moves - lube with a penetrating oil - go to 2nd hinge pin- repeat same - let cool then reheat and if both pins are moving use proper sized punch to get pins out- Hinges might be free also so you can open?? #2- Possiblu take a grinder to the bolt heads holding the Hinges on - grind heads off * punch thru. Slould you have hinge bolts that screw into the bed area?? You will have to drill them out - hope this helps
    blackace
    blackace

Post by blackace Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:55 am

Thanks for the info. I will have to wait till the snow melts so I can get it into work as I don't have a torch that will get it cherry red. I have soaked them for close to a month and beat on the pin trying to get something to move but no go. If I have to go to option #2, is there a place to get new pins at so I can get it back together? Also, any suggestions on how to get the hinge bolts out without stripping the heads out. I have tried with a bigger screwdriver but did not push it as I did not want to strip them out and create more of a problem.
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8732
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:50 pm

http://www.harborfreight.com/7-piece-reversible-impact-driver-set-93481.html use this to get the screws out , you have to soak the screws and hindge with penatrating oil. reviewing your pics you have to use a lot more oil. keep soaking it...
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:55 pm

Yes =impact driver - best to do- also there was a lube thread on mixing acetone and trans fluid together as the best , quickest penetrating oil. I never used this yet am going to soon- much quicker -per the discussion
    jkr
    jkr

Number of posts : 1148
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by jkr Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:09 pm

you only need to heat the center portion of the hinge as the two outside sections are where it is pressed in especially the end with the wide top. it has a knurl on it to keep it tight so only heat the center to get the gate moving again then try to remove the hinges as you will bend both the gate and tailgate hitting on it while still attached to the vehicle. just my 2 cents worth........

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 5:43 pm