VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+4
Scott
itruns
VANagain
G-Man
8 posters

Remember these

G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Remember these Empty Remember these

Post by G-Man Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:27 pm

VANagain
    VANagain

Number of posts : 1046
    Registration date : 2008-05-16

Remember these Empty Re: Remember these

Post by VANagain Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:01 am

Oh yeah! I had one of these FM converters!! I'd totally forgotten about them. Funny!

Kind of reminds me of another add-on: power boosters. Remember, you could put it in line with your speakers to add some amperage? Mine had its own bass and treble. It helped. Smile
    itruns
    itruns

Number of posts : 1605
    Registration date : 2008-07-03

Post by itruns Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:51 am

Yeah, I remember. Then you could get cool stations like WDAI, but then they went DISCO. Sunsabitches.
    Scott
    Scott

Number of posts : 1651
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by Scott Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:28 am

No I don't.. Laughing
    savage
    savage

Number of posts : 2626
    Registration date : 2008-05-15

Post by savage Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:00 am

Anybody remember Mind Blower speakers?? They had amps mounted on back of 6x9 speakers. . Had dash controll for V ,T,&B. As I remember a lot of wires,but did work great in my 72 Chevy van
    benwah
    benwah

Number of posts : 1135
    Registration date : 2008-07-05

Post by benwah Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:44 am

i had a fm / tape deck converter on my 69 polara Cool that was a lot better than any 8track player
    vanner68
    vanner68

Number of posts : 655
    Registration date : 2008-09-22

Post by vanner68 Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:44 pm

I have 2 FM converters, a couple underdash 8 tracks, Pioneer Supertuners, underdash EQ/amps.....
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:21 am

Back in the 70's, I had the FM converter, 8 track and a power booster in my van. And the power booster is still up in there under the dash and working! That 8 track was the greatest invention ever!!!!! You could record your records or songs off your radio and actually play them in your van when you wanted. And with Black Sabbath, Alice Cooper, Bachman Turner Overdrive and Deep Purple being the new fresh music ,,,,,life was really good,,,,,,and not much has changed for me,,,,,,same van, same songs, same places only they are on cassettes now.......

Remember these Workin49
    benwah
    benwah

Post by benwah Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:44 am

cassettes? WOW! i like cds now that ive baught the same music some times 3x records, than tapes, now cds i refuse to get an mp3 or satilite radio! radio is free, like tv used to be,..only 3 channels on tv then but at least they had the muppet show Very Happy
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:22 am

I got a lot of it on CDs and MP3's but all my vehicles have Am/Fm cassettes in them,,,,,,,,I don't feel like converting 1000's of songs,,,,,,,,and I kind of like the old ways,,,,,,,,,,,
    itruns
    itruns

Post by itruns Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:32 pm

Deja Vu! I just posted about the 7 channels on TV at the other thread.

MHO - Satilite radio rules! Don't have to program your playlists, always something good on. 60s, 70s, 80s, pop, deep cuts, mello, hair, new wave, alternative rock, it's all there. Love Bubba and Howard. Sometimes I have turn them off or I swear I'll cause a wreck.

Was it John Cusack (better off dead) or Judge Reinholt (fast times) that threw the radio out of the car? Well that was me trying to find something that wasn't a commercial during rush hour. Again just my opinion.

Don, do cassettes degrade like VHS. I may still have some pirated midnight albums kicking around.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:59 pm

They hold up really well,,,,,,,I got some from the 60's that I made on a portable cassette player and they still play pretty good. Those 8 track tapes surely did not last very long,,,,,that rewinding system always messed up. And you better get your stuff off those VHS tapes,,,,,or its lost,,,,,,,,forever,,,,,,
    vanner68
    vanner68

Post by vanner68 Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:28 pm

I put em on a usb flash as mp3's and play em thru any FM radio with an adapter.Remember these P1010098
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:35 pm

I got one of those but it depends on a strong FM station signal and it fades in and out on the road and in my mountains,,,,,,
    benwah
    benwah

Post by benwah Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:57 am

have no radios in the earlys between the roar of the engine next to me and the windows rolled down- can barely hear the cb on long trips. my buick has a tape deck, but my 2000 econoline has a nice cd player
    itruns
    itruns

Post by itruns Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:42 am

I hear ya on the early thing.

If your vehicle has a cassette player you can get the gismo that looks like a cassette, but plugs into your Ipod or portable CD Player.

If you have FM, but no cassette player or inputs, you can get one of these:

http://shop.sirius.com/edealinv/servlet/ExecMacro?nurl=control/StoreItem.vm&ctl_nbr=2640&siId=2324001&catParentID=7872&scId=7872&oldParentID=7872

If you have only AM in your all original early, you can get the gismo above and run it thru your FM converter...

Or you can hide a modern stereo head unit with a CD changer, satellite radio, HD radio, hardwired Ipod, Bluetooth and mike (for your cell phone), amp, and run a remote control. Don't forget the Nav system.
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:23 am

I have the cassette thing for my Ipod and it works great
    vanner68
    vanner68

Post by vanner68 Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:26 pm

donivan65 wrote:I got one of those but it depends on a strong FM station signal and it fades in and out on the road and in my mountains,,,,,,

Not quite sure if you were referring to my post, but I'm not sure what you mean 'depends on a strong FM station signal'..... I used mine going thru the mountains of Pennsylvania (literally, thru the tunnels) and had no problems. It also has a jack to plug in any MP3 player.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:31 pm

I have a little portable MP3 player and to hear it through my Vans radio, I use a little portable transmitter that plugs into the MP3's headphone jack and then you tune the radio to an unused FM station and the transmitter transmits the song to the radio. But it is not very good,,,,static,,,,lost signal,,,,,other stronger radio stations taking over the signal. This is just a primitive way of listening to MP3's ,,,,a flashdrive, memory card or bluetooth system sure would work better,,,,,but,,,,,my music is on 45's and albums,,,,then it went to 8 track, then cassettes,,,,I have got some on CD's and MP3's,,,,,but cassettes are what I have most of and in all of my vehicles, so I am in no hurry to change everything. I like my music just the way they made it,,,,,,,not remixed, remastered, digital enhanced,,,,,,,just leave it the way I remember it,,,,,,,,,
    vanner68
    vanner68

Post by vanner68 Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:30 am

Ah, I see..... some of those fm transmitters are kinda weak. The one I havewill transmit up to 20feet.... I've been able to set a portable radio on the picnic table and receive the signal from inside the camper...
    itruns
    itruns

Post by itruns Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:15 pm

vanner68 wrote:Ah, I see..... some of those fm transmitters are kinda weak. The one I havewill transmit up to 20feet.... I've been able to set a portable radio on the picnic table and receive the signal from inside the camper...

Watch out or the FCC will be investigating...
    vanner68
    vanner68

Post by vanner68 Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:20 pm

itruns wrote:
    vanner68 wrote:Ah, I see..... some of those fm transmitters are kinda weak. The one I havewill transmit up to 20feet.... I've been able to set a portable radio on the picnic table and receive the signal from inside the camper...

Watch out or the FCC will be investigating...

affraid

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 7:21 pm