VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+4
G-Man
RodStRace
DanTheVanMan
Doc in Az
8 posters

Our new shop truck

Doc in Az

Number of posts : 15
    Registration date : 2010-12-05

Our new shop truck Empty Our new shop truck

Post by Doc in Az Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:20 am

Hi my name is Doc & i finally caught my unicorn.

back in '87 i found a 63 falcon van for $300 that was road worthy but my parents wouldn't let me buy it... at the time i didn't understand why but years later i realized they didn't want to be such young grand parents... lol.

i've been on the hunt for them from time to time when i was looking for a new project but they were always just a little rougher than i wanted to start with, got sold 5 minutes before i got there or my schedule wouldn't allow me to begin a project when a van was available. back in june i started emailing a guy that had a couple on craigslist. we continued to negotiate the price from $2200 cash - to cash and some fab work for him - to just a bunch of fab work - to "i don't have time to get it to run so just give me $500 and get it out of my driveway".

with it not being in running condition we further negotiated to have my guys run down and trailer it back to my shop and allow me some time to see if i could get it running and at least drive it around the block a couple times before i paid him. i needed to make sure i didn't have another vehicle growing roots in the back of the shop like my roadster that has been pushed out every morning and pushed back in at night... the van weighs too much for that.

i started doing some research on the vin and it seems like things don't really make sense. i don't have the vin in front of me but this is an E12 and i haven't found any info for anything but E10, E11 & E14. the vin shows it to have a 170 but that shouldn't have been available in 61 from what i've read. it has the light duty rear axle with 3.50's in it, 3 on the tree and it's a window van that was originally a people mover, not a work truck.... i think. i was doing some work on it last night and found a tag on the side of the motor by the coil. again i don't remember all the numbers but there was "200" on it in one place and "65" or "66" on it. it has a single bbl carb with a water jacket in an adapter plate the carb reads "carter made for motorcraft" or something like that & it is a 2100 series IIRC. this carb has what looks to be a "universal" type choke on it it has a small brass fitting of some sort & also a mechanical actuator. the freeze plugs in the head were rusted out so we started taking it apart only to realize the intake is part of the head. the valve cover was originally orange but has since been painted blue. the valve springs were orange - not painted though - but looked like they were powder coated or something.

the odometer shows 45,000 miles it is VERY original. it has 6,500 GVW stickers on the sides & it still has the sticker inside by the door handles to show how they open, the dash only has one hole in it that isn't factory. the PO sold the rear seats and pulled the carpet - the floor looks like it has never carried anything heavy. it has the original door panels in the back, all the original window latches, the original head liner & curtains as well. it even has the spare tire mount & battery box cover. there is the side step that moves out with mechanical linkage connected to the door, it all slides smoothly but he lost the linkage from the door to the step. it still has the rubber floor mats up front & the dog house is still well insulated. the body is in good condition for it's age. there is a dent in the front with some shabby bondo work and a couple others here and there. the worst part would be the rear cago doors have been hit pretty hard and someone used fibreglass for a piss-poor repair. with the bad seal back there it leaked in the rain and has some pretty bad cancer in the left rear quarter. i found a place that sells that replacement piece & i've done a lot of rust repair over the years with my fab shop and it's nothing i can't get done in a couple hours.

the van had been sitting for about 10 years i guess and there was no way i was going to hit the started and have it roar to life. it was parked when the fuel pump went out. since we had no idea what the motor was we ordered in a couple different fuel pumps. the one that came with the van was the type with the spin on filter and the foot of it seemed to ride more vertical on the fueling cam. the others we ordered in the foot seemed to ride more horizontally on the fueling cam... we made a block-off plate for the motor and installed an electric pump just to try and get it running. we pulled the carb and boiled it out since it was full of what looked like brown sugar and caramel. my guys dumped some fuel in the tank (big mistake - we should have started it from a gas can) and it fired up. after a little bit of driving it around the mung in the take made it's way through the fuel system and gummed everything up again. it seems to have great compression the way it cranks and runs & it stops immediately when you turn it off, it doesn't kind of just wind down like high mileage / low compression motors do... the oil in it looks like it's brand new although the engine block does have a lot of road dirt on it. it has been fitted with an alternator & also has a secondary pulley on it and what looks like a mount for an a/c compressor. this thing really moves when you hit the gas! i don't remember my old 61 falcon fordor running like this with it's 200cid crate motor from a Fairmont.

i only have a few pix from the outside and will post up vin info and numbers from the engine tag as soon as i get to the shop tomorrow morning. i appreciate any help you can provide with the identification of this thing.

Our new shop truck P7070019

Our new shop truck P7070016

Our new shop truck P7070018

Our new shop truck P7070015

Our new shop truck P7070014

Our new shop truck P7070010

Our new shop truck P7070008

Our new shop truck P7070007

Our new shop truck P7070002

Our new shop truck Empty Re: Our new shop truck

Post by Guest Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:37 pm

Doc,

Very cool! I'm in AZ too, Mesa in fact. I have a falcon bus too, but nowhere as original as yours. I would love to take a better look at your interior so I can restore mine to stock. I hqve a side step with all the hardware so let me know and I will get you some measurements of your missing parts. Oh, I am currently machining some brackets to mount the rear bench seats to the stock locations. Send me a PM if you are interested. More pics please!
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by DanTheVanMan Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:51 pm

Welcome Doc,
    Looks like a diamond in the rough to me! Great score!!!

Dan

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Our new shop truck Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:22 am

There is a Falcon van in the Prescott Valley U Pick It.
    http://www.upickaz.com/
    It has rear seats and may have other stuff for your project.
    posted pictures in the JY section.

https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/e-junk-yard-parts-f14/falcon-van-in-prescott-valley-t18027.htm

Last edited by RodStRace on Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:07 am; edited 1 time in total
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:15 am

Welcome to the site and thank you for all the pic's
    Doc in Az

Post by Doc in Az Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:52 am

if you want to come take a look at it my shop is in glendale by camelback and 51st ave.

Stone Soup Metal Works, LLC
    5037 N. 54th ave
    glendale 85301

we're usually here 7am - 5 or 6pm just call ahead, i'm usually here on saturdays too. 623.939.WELD (9353)

after some research i found that this is the 200 straight six from a 65. like i said before this SHOULD be a 61 and from what i've read it looks like it. and from some of the tell tale signs i think it's a very late 61 since it came with the 170 originally

i called a few different dealerships that specialize in old cars and still have NOS parts and they couldn't verify VIN info but maybe one of you has the manuals?

E12TH202139

here's the vin if anyone can
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Post by RodStRace Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:31 pm

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/973596-1961-econoline-van-vin-info.html

E12TH202139

E12 = seems to be a Econoline van (E=econoline, 1 seems to be light GVWR, 2 = window or wagon?)
    T = would be engine size (170 cu. in.)
    H = Lorain assembly plant
    202139 = sequence number (built July or later, according to the link)

Others I found during a search

http://www.mercurypickup.com/1961fordusavin.htm
    http://home.earthlink.net/~threynolds2/didgeytruck/specs6166.html
    http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/537540-1960s-econoline-van-truck-vin-help.html

Looks like this one isn't going to happen
    http://econolineregistry.com/

RodStRace
    RodStRace

Post by RodStRace Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:14 pm

What I have been able to find on the net. Sure would be easier if you just got the right manual with this info all there! Razz Razz

E10 - pickup
    E11- Std Station Bus
    E12 - club van

E14 - Regular van
    E15 - panel van
    Doc in Az

Post by Doc in Az Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:58 am

Thanks for the help everyone & sorry i haven't checked back sooner.

i scoured links on both google and yahoo and couldn't find what you guys found, i guess that's the problem with being a noob.

just to give an update real quick...

i got everything back together and running like a champ. i got it registered and insured last monday. you gotta love the old cars, $31 for two years of registration and just pennies to insure.

all things considered it took very little to make this road worthy. all 4 wheel cylinders, all three rubber brake hoses, carb rebuild & cleaning the gas tank. it will cruise easily down the freeway at 70mph at about 3,000 rpm... unlike my old falcon sedan that sounded like the pistons were swapping cylinders at 55mph.

it's been my daily driver for the last week and i've worked a lot of the bugs out already but at 50 years old there is always a punch list of things you should do when you have spare time.

again, thank you for your help & if you would like to see more pix you can look here...

https://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=40157&id=108891915811010&saved
    slowflapper
    slowflapper

Number of posts : 956
    Registration date : 2010-07-29

Post by slowflapper Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:41 am

Nice score for $500 bucks Smile
    Doc in Az

Post by Doc in Az Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:19 pm

?
    gh0st
    gh0st

Number of posts : 50
    Registration date : 2011-07-25

Post by gh0st Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:04 am

so how's your van doing, any progress since december? it looks like it could be a u-haul van with that color scheme rabbit
    bugeye bob
    bugeye bob

Number of posts : 383
    Registration date : 2009-02-02

Post by bugeye bob Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:15 pm

Doc great find and a great deal, back in the 70's i wanted a early of course they probably weren't called a early, but i went with a girl whose mother didn't much want me showing up in my gto let alone a van.
    Doc in Az

Post by Doc in Az Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:57 pm

i was trying to post pix from my tablet the other day and well, you can see, that didn't go so well... lol.

the bus is just a total POS lately, the az heat is brutal. but, even hot outside and puttin the spurs to her, she keeps chugging down the road. but i'm not sure how long.. i lost oil pressure the other day and it started rattling pretty loud. now it's puffing out the breather like it's trying to send smoke signals to get help & there is a rod that was making some noise until i put sae60 weight oil. that's a testament to old fashioned engineering, even running like shit it will still get the job done. =)

she's come a long way but it's also been a downhill slide. i've been rear-ended twice now, first was a hit and run which bent the "frame" from the axle back. then again screwing up what i had just fixed, seriously, two days after i put it back together this illegal alien smuggling pot rear ended me.

anyway, here's a few pix of how it is now, it's my daily driver (40+ miles a day) and it's the shop runner that has easily carried 5 big steel doors we built and all of the welding and job site equipment for the installation... and you should see the looks i get when i'm dragging that car hauler down the freeway passing people =)

Our new shop truck 2011-06-06155005

Our new shop truck 2011-06-07161422

Our new shop truck 2011-08-12073845

Our new shop truck 2011-08-12073854

Our new shop truck 2011-08-12073935
    66ThunderVan
    66ThunderVan

Number of posts : 384
    Registration date : 2012-01-08

Post by 66ThunderVan Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:10 pm

You guys ever see one of these?Our new shop truck Xfghsf10
    66ThunderVan
    66ThunderVan

Post by 66ThunderVan Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:11 pm

Our new shop truck Ggg10
    66ThunderVan
    66ThunderVan

Post by 66ThunderVan Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:24 pm

I lived in Mesa and later in Glendale 74-79. Back then they couldn't keep us from cruising Central and Main St. in mesa. It made American Grafitti look second rate!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:33 pm