VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+5
dix
G-Man
Seth G
AZ SuperVan
LongBeachCA66
9 posters

Best way to sell a project, truck alone, or truck with restoration parts package?

Poll

Sell truck a la carte, or with parts package?

[ 3 ]
    Best way to sell a project, truck alone, or truck with restoration parts package? I_vote_lcap50%Best way to sell a project, truck alone, or truck with restoration parts package? I_vote_rcap [50%] 
    [ 3 ]
    Best way to sell a project, truck alone, or truck with restoration parts package? I_vote_lcap50%Best way to sell a project, truck alone, or truck with restoration parts package? I_vote_rcap [50%] 

Total Votes: 6
    LongBeachCA66
    LongBeachCA66

Number of posts : 54
    Registration date : 2013-06-24

Best way to sell a project, truck alone, or truck with restoration parts package? Empty Best way to sell a project, truck alone, or truck with restoration parts package?

Post by LongBeachCA66 Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:52 am

Looking to list my 66 HD pickup project on ebay.

I have about $1200 in restoration parts I've acquired (mostly new stuff through MACs along with some oem and nos stuff).

Do you guys think its better to list the vehicle a la carte with the reserve nice and low and give the buyer the option to buy the addition parts package (discounted at $800)? Or better to just include all those parts and set my reserve $800 higher?

I don't mind selling the parts separate, they are all common parts that pretty much every econoline restoration is going to need. Just trying to figure out which option would appeal to buyers more?
    AZ SuperVan
    AZ SuperVan

Number of posts : 219
    Registration date : 2013-09-12

Best way to sell a project, truck alone, or truck with restoration parts package? Empty Re: Best way to sell a project, truck alone, or truck with restoration parts package?

Post by AZ SuperVan Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:05 pm

Selling a vehicle taken apart for restoration is the best way to lose the most money. Anything you can do to get it running and driving and operable will improve your selling price.

Common parts bring about 60 to 75 cents on the dollar sold separately, and as a package with the vehicle, for about half that, in my experience.
    LongBeachCA66
    LongBeachCA66

Best way to sell a project, truck alone, or truck with restoration parts package? Empty Re: Best way to sell a project, truck alone, or truck with restoration parts package?

Post by LongBeachCA66 Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:01 pm

The project is not a basket case, it is actually still 90% assembled (heater, tailgate, door glass and handles are removed) and can be started and driven around. The vast majority of replacement parts I speak of are simply new or better parts to replace the old and worn out ones that are on the truck.

My question is simply is it better to price the truck as low as possible and offer the extras for additional cost, or give one higher price for everything included.

Me personally, if i'm buying a project and a guy has extra restoration parts that are needed and are being offered at a discount, I'm going to take them. But I know a lot of people don't think that way. and as for this project, I don't mind selling the parts separate or as a package with the vehicle, my only desire is to make the truck as appealing to potential buyers as I can.
    Seth G
    Seth G
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2086
    Registration date : 2013-04-24

Post by Seth G Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:03 pm

I answered the poll with the first option, but I think the reserve should still be $800, but not having seen the truck it's hard to say what's the right way to go.
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:05 pm

any project won't bring the money it should, If the parts are rare or some rare ones will bring more money than the project
    LongBeachCA66
    LongBeachCA66

Post by LongBeachCA66 Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:29 am

just realized i fucked up the poll. it should say "$800 higher"

grrr
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8728
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:08 pm

see if you can edit the post, but i understood what you meant..

Number of posts : 77
    Registration date : 2013-01-02

Post by twinlinemoto Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:29 pm

Unless you have another econoline, you probably dont want to be stuck with a bunch of parts for a project you no longer have. I say bundle and get it all out the door.
    LongBeachCA66
    LongBeachCA66

Post by LongBeachCA66 Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:27 pm

well I can sell the parts pretty easy, all are shippable so easy to ebay, CL or sell them on the van groups/forums. I'd probably get more money even selling them separately part by part, but of course id rather get it all gone in one package.

ive already sold a lot of extra parts i didn't need, and it was very easy, lots of demand. it's a lot harder selling the damn truck!
    vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Post by vanny Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:36 pm

From the sound of it, your main goal is to sell the truck. I think upping the reserve by $800 and letting them know how much they're actually worth, may be incentive for them to buy and knowing they won't have to search for these replacement parts themselves and have to spend more to get them and have to deal with shipping, etc... My 2 Cents!

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    cali2chitown
    cali2chitown

Number of posts : 188
    Registration date : 2014-03-14

Post by cali2chitown Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:43 pm

My truck now!  Very Happy 
    Bruce67Econoline
    Bruce67Econoline

Number of posts : 809
    Registration date : 2014-01-25

Post by Bruce67Econoline Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:36 pm

cali2chitown wrote:My truck now!  Very Happy 

Did you buy the parts package too? Awesome deal if you did. Basketball 
    cali2chitown
    cali2chitown

Number of posts : 188
    Registration date : 2014-03-14

Post by cali2chitown Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:38 pm

Yeah I bought the truck and all the parts. Lots of nice stuff, Blake did me good!
    Bruce67Econoline
    Bruce67Econoline

Number of posts : 809
    Registration date : 2014-01-25

Post by Bruce67Econoline Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:40 pm

Congrats , I look forward to seeing the progress.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:19 am