VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

HELP!! I need more information please!

Vanner63
    Vanner63

Number of posts : 235
    Registration date : 2010-11-11

HELP!! I need more information please! Empty HELP!! I need more information please!

Post by Vanner63 Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:09 am

Hello folks,

I am new to this site and the forum but after having browsed thru I find it is a really neat site. Kudos to the folks who started it!

Well, I just purchased a 1963 Econo pickup and it has a few rust issues. Some rust in the frame, (not bad), spring perches are OK, and surface to penetrating rust in the floor board. Looks kind of bad around the heater base.

What I am asking for is a few folks that have restored these trucks to give me an idea as to how to proceed with repairs. Are patch panels available after market for the floor boards and bed, etc., etc? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I don't mind doing a mild custom if I have to but I would like to put it back original if possible. Its always more costly putting a truck or car back original I have found.

I hope you don't mind me picking your brains. Thanks in advance for any and all help.

T.W. Day
    delraydoug
    delraydoug

Number of posts : 210
    Registration date : 2010-07-01

HELP!! I need more information please! Empty Re: HELP!! I need more information please!

Post by delraydoug Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:16 am

i made my holes in the floor disappear by wire wheeling the rust holes back til i got good metal. then painting both sides of floor with por-15, then riviting sheet metal patches over holes from the underside, then use por-15 paste to cover seams and rivits , then paint entire floor with por-15 paint . cant hardly see the patch work when done. alot of the holes i found in my floor were caused by the seam filler stuf falling out. that por-15 paste stuff makes great seam filler also
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Number of posts : 2198
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

HELP!! I need more information please! Empty Re: HELP!! I need more information please!

Post by EconoUSAparts Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:47 am

Some after market panels are available but a lot have poor fit. I sel good used stuff as I get it which is a for sure fit. Lots of parts here if I can be of help.
    lectricman
    lectricman

Number of posts : 339
    Registration date : 2010-04-07

Post by lectricman Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:04 pm

http://macsautoparts.com/1961-1967-ford-econoline-parts/camid/ECO/ca/159/

I get this catalog and have ordered parts from them but for body panels, I would go with good recycled parts from EconoUSAparts for fitment... the rear corner I bought from Macs I had to split and add 1 1/4" to it so it would fit.... just my experience....
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Number of posts : 2198
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by EconoUSAparts Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:13 pm

lectricman wrote:http://macsautoparts.com/1961-1967-ford-econoline-parts/camid/ECO/ca/159/

I get this catalog and have ordered parts from them but for body panels, I would go with good recycled parts from EconoUSAparts for fitment... the rear corner I bought from Macs I had to split and add 1 1/4" to it so it would fit.... just my experience....

From stories I ve heard and recent experience on a van here of a customers I went and saw in person,this is pretty typical of a lot of the aftermarket panels. I ve personally seen several bad corner panels and just recently the big side panel between the wheel wells had a horrible fit. The guy here wound up using used panels of mine instead of the ones he bought from Mac's.
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1306
    Registration date : 2009-06-13

Post by Old Skool Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:42 pm

FOR SURE suggest using OEM panels from Tim, best fit of all of them.
    vic

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:58 am