VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

Clutch Replacement Information

BloodyKnuckles
    BloodyKnuckles

Number of posts : 43
    Registration date : 2010-03-14

Clutch Replacement Information  Empty Clutch Replacement Information

Post by BloodyKnuckles Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:58 pm

Just a heads up for those that need to know what size clutch they may have.

I just redid mine. It's a 1961 with a swapped in 200. The swap was done so well it wasn't evedant that it wasn't original.

The disc is an 8 1/2". The flywheel has holes which allow oil and water to escape and not ruin the disc. Make sure these are cleaned out properly. Also, the flywheel bolt holes in the crank have no bottom which means they are open to the crankcase. These need to be sealed with thread sealer. Another thing to check is between the bellhousing and the transmission. On my '51 Plymouth the trans has a rod that you can see the end of on the face of the trans, the van has the same rod. An old timer told me to make a gasket from an old cereal box that fits between the trans and bellhousing. It will seal off the end of the rod and will prevent leaks in the future.

Another tidbit. The clutch and pressure plate were rebuilt by Tennessee Clutch 1800-262-5882. They did it for $76 shipped with a new pilot bearing and new throw out bearing. Ask them for a clutch alignment tool. They usually throw one in. I have these guys in the past and have always been pleased. The contact is Randall. Great guy.

This is all basic stuff that I thought I would share with my fellow brothers.

BloodyKnuckles
    score602
    score602

Number of posts : 140
    Registration date : 2010-04-05

Clutch Replacement Information  Empty Re: Clutch Replacement Information

Post by score602 Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:59 pm

good info and that sounds like a good price, i bought my clutch about 2 months ago brand new for about 200 bucks with a pressure plate and throw out bearing

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 4:11 am