VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

low disc brake pedal, two possible items

m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Number of posts : 1778
    Registration date : 2008-10-06

low disc brake pedal, two possible items Empty low disc brake pedal, two possible items

Post by m1dadio Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:41 pm

I am going over the math and other ideas for our disc brakes.

Two new possabilities for low pedal have come to my attention.

many pictures I have been looking at clued me into the veriety of calipers being used.

Many of these calipers do not have the bleader screw pointing straight up at 12 oclock. Mine are at about 1 oclock and that has the potential to leave an air buble in the caliper. What about yours?

Many calipers installed may be (and likely are)of the "low drag" type, which require a "quick take up master cylinder".

Read this article; there is a duick test you should do on your van at the last paragraph.

http://www.mpbrakes.com/uploads/documents/lowdrag.pdf

If any of you find this to be the issue on your van please email me with your findings.

M1D
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

low disc brake pedal, two possible items Empty Re: low disc brake pedal, two possible items

Post by donivan65 Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:29 pm

low disc brake pedal, two possible items Repai177
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

low disc brake pedal, two possible items Empty Re: low disc brake pedal, two possible items

Post by m1dadio Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:34 am

Don; yours is right.

Mine are not. The angle of the m1d brackets is to clear other front end parts and reduce extra fitment modifictaions and make the bracket a unifit to both sides. The caliper angle is centered over the flange mounting bolt holes.

low disc brake pedal, two possible items Dscn0412

There is potential for air to be left behind. The best way to blead mine 9is to removw the caliper and place a 1" wood black between the pads.

What that article says about low brag calipers filling the rebuild market means it could be a problem with some peoples vans.

I will try the clamp the brake line test soon.

M1D
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Post by m1dadio Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:51 pm

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:53 pm

low disc brake pedal, two possible items Brake_12

low disc brake pedal, two possible items Brake_13

low disc brake pedal, two possible items Brake_14

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 01, 2024 4:23 pm