VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Calling all guru's Carb help 63 econoline

chicanoline

Number of posts : 87
    Registration date : 2010-06-02

Calling all guru's Carb help 63 econoline Empty Calling all guru's Carb help 63 econoline

Post by chicanoline Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:33 pm

My carb works ok but I found this one at the Flea Mkt. for the unheard of price of 20.00..(275.00 tag on the carb) gotta love Storage lockers. Instructions say 62-68 ford 144 170 200 6 cyl. do you guys know if it will work with a stock 63 170 distributor, And I assume the carb is original too. i read another post about dist and carb combos...Spark-o-matic and I think there was another type of dist I just don't remember the name. this one has auto choke so I know I heve to add a heat tube. but after that I am not sure. the inlets are all in the right place and the linkage looks to work in the same direction in the same location. I guess what I am asking is has anyone used this direct combo with success and not alot of modifications....That was a mouthful. Here are pics of the carb I bought and mCalling all guru's Carb help 63 econoline 00110y currant set up. the new one is a Holley 64-5152.Calling all guru's Carb help 63 econoline 00210Calling all guru's Carb help 63 econoline 00310Calling all guru's Carb help 63 econoline 00410Calling all guru's Carb help 63 econoline 00710Calling all guru's Carb help 63 econoline 00814Calling all guru's Carb help 63 econoline 00910Calling all guru's Carb help 63 econoline 01010Calling all guru's Carb help 63 econoline 00510

Mine is a bit of a leaker as seen in the pics... and when it warms up some times it will wind at about 2000 when I push in the clutch almost like a stuck throttle I can punch-feather it and it wil most of the time drop to 1200-1500 rpms. It is time for a change of carb, the milage seems to be a bit low as well. I took a 1200 mile trip and seem to get about 10-12 miles to the gallon, how about you guys what are you gettin? Thanks in advance hope this thread helps others as well. Any and all help will be paid back 10 fold in KARMA dollars.

Thanks,
    Johnny
    EconoCarl
    EconoCarl

Number of posts : 1109
    Registration date : 2008-05-19

Calling all guru's Carb help 63 econoline Empty Re: Calling all guru's Carb help 63 econoline

Post by EconoCarl Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:02 pm

First of all, you've got to get some Econoline die-cast to put in the background of your pics! Smile

Assuming that you have a "spark-o-matic" distributor, now might be a good time to upgrade to a Duraspark electronic ignition.
    chicanoline

Calling all guru's Carb help 63 econoline Empty Re: Calling all guru's Carb help 63 econoline

Post by chicanoline Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:11 pm

Thanks anyway guys!! Im gonna try it!!
    Magic Bus
    Magic Bus

Number of posts : 1422
    Registration date : 2009-12-02

Post by Magic Bus Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:36 am

Im sure it will work better than your current one...I say hook bolti it up and see what happens!
    chicanoline

Calling all guru's Carb help 63 econoline Empty I just went for it!!

Post by chicanoline Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:56 pm

I just went for it and it went well. Bolted right in fuel hooked right up, vacuum same spot as old unit has auto choke, Throttle linkage hooked right back up no mods at all. just ran heat tube down to the exaust manifold. Started first try a small puff of smoke idled a bit high choke kicked down and it went to 1000 rpm. took it for a 5 mile ride and all was well. no more dieseling on shut off. so what I am saying is if you need a new carb and have a 170 with this carb the Holley I used is a perfect exact chang over. mine ran sooo much better without the leaks, prolly had some vacuum leaks as well. My motor smoothed out as well. I may need to do just a bit of tweeking. I amgoing to add electronic ignition next. Check the timing and go. That was a sweet purchase for 20.00 made my day for sure. Calling all guru's Carb help 63 econoline Van_ca10Calling all guru's Carb help 63 econoline Van_ca11Calling all guru's Carb help 63 econoline Van_ca12Calling all guru's Carb help 63 econoline Van_ca13Calling all guru's Carb help 63 econoline Van_ca14

There it is guys!!! Simple change took about an hour start to finish. Bookmark this one if you need a new carb and don't want to mess around with mods.

Thanks,
    Johnny
    Calling all guru's Carb help 63 econoline Van_ca15

One of the cab!!!
    Magic Bus
    Magic Bus

Number of posts : 1422
    Registration date : 2009-12-02

Post by Magic Bus Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:34 pm

Glad it worked out for you...I had a feeling it would

BTW..what kind of foil you got uner the hood for the heat reflective insulation?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 9:42 am