VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+8
kookykrispy
BILLS66
donivan65
Digz
EconoCarl
DanTheVanMan
mo_1040
haggisholder
12 posters

1966 Chevy Sportvan questions

haggisholder

Number of posts : 43
    Registration date : 2010-11-09

1966 Chevy Sportvan questions - Page 2 Empty Re: 1966 Chevy Sportvan questions

Post by haggisholder Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:37 pm

G-Man wrote:I'm from Michigan and that van looks great to me, nothing there that can't be made to look great again

thanks for the encouragement
    haggisholder

Post by haggisholder Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:46 pm

donivan65 wrote:Everything is fixable,,,,,,,it just depends on your skills, tools, knowledge, time, space, equipment and how much MONEY you have or want to spend,,,,,,,you do it because you want that van,,,,,,surely not to make a profit,,,,,,,

True enough.

I have the basic tools. Don't have an engine jack/hoist though. I can make time and money. I have a garage. I would like to do some work on it.

Body work on it - considering all of the rust - will challenge me. I do have an air brush and have painted my motorcycles and car. I have worked with bondo with good success but I have no experience with fiberglass, sheet metal, riveting, or welding. The rust along the bottom of the van between the wheels bothers me as well as some rust through where you rest your feet when driving (I could be a Fred Flintstone if I want)....

If I took it to have it painted, I'd get laughed at. I could mask and do some of my own painting. I could probably paint the top down to the edge of the white trim after getting rid of the rust. The trick would be sanding it down without getting overly aggressive. Would you guys suggest a combination of disc / hand sanding?

Of course individual peices can be removed and addressed separately, such as hub caps, doors, mirrors, bumpers, etc.

As far as the engine goes, I'd like to degrease it and look for seal/gasket leakage.

I also have a spare carb. I haven't looked at it in detail but I think it is a Webber carb. Can't remember if a family member was going to try it out or already did years back. Last I remember, the stock carb was yielding something like 10mpg. Does that sound about right?

Thanks
    mo_1040
    mo_1040

Number of posts : 645
    Registration date : 2008-07-04

Post by mo_1040 Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:56 pm

If I found one like that in Minnesota I would be in heaven!!! I got lucky with the one I have now as it was stored in a pole barn for over 20 years. All the other vans I have found up here I wouldn't even try towing because there would be nothing left by the time I got home. I replaced the rockers on mine... wasn't to bad, all metal and very little putty. If I had to do my rocker panels over again I would of molded my thrush sidepipes into them. That back corner should be able to be tapped out with a hammer and dolly and some patience.

Van looks like a very great start to me!!!!
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:04 pm

It's definately do-able, Mine was no better or worse shape, ( im thinkin' worse).
    Just takes time, gives a good exscuse to add to your tool collection also, lol,
    The main thing to me is to keep it fun !
    VANagain
    VANagain

Number of posts : 1046
    Registration date : 2008-05-16

Post by VANagain Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:49 am

Amen to that, Digz! For a while I was stressing myself out with deadlines on my van project. But now I've gotten back to just enjoying the process.

There's a lot to do but most of it is fun with many challenging puzzles to figure out, parts to search for, info to find (usually with the help of this site). Plus it's a creative process too. Everyone does things their own way. That's what keeps it interesting.
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:32 am

I don't know what your local schools are like or your life situation, but I took a local college course for bodywork. What tools I didn't have they did, plus the instruction and a schedule to keep you on task.
    I'll probably do the class again next semester, to finish the metal work.
    If I was going for just a driver, it would be pretty much ready, but I'm hoping for a bit better result.
    You can also take an engine class and a welding class to learn the skills and have access to the stuff needed to get your van back in shape.
    haggisholder

Post by haggisholder Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:56 pm

I took a look under the gas tank due to a small leak. Looks like there is a metal hose just above the tank that is leaking. Is this sectional that I can replace and is it a standard size?

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:37 pm

well,,,,,,,,if you look up along the frame by the rubber brake hose that goes to the rear end, you see the metal fuel line and the rubber fuel line running through the crossmember and then it onto this sending unit on top of the tank. So check and see if it is the 5/16" hose or the actual sending unit or the O ring that seals the sending unit to the tank.

1966 Chevy Sportvan questions - Page 2 Repai230
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:05 am

Take those Classes-Theyere GREAT ! also sometimes the instructor will take in your project for the new classes & just may have to pay for the materials & get the kids to work on it for the experience. We have done some engines & trannys & rear ends here like that..
    haggisholder

Post by haggisholder Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:41 am

Thanks for the help!

One other thing... on the underside near the rear bumper is a metal hydraulic hose. Looks like it's for brakes and probably used for braking for a trailer? This hose is not coupled/connected. I don't see any hydraulic fluid loss but shouldn't this be coupled?
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:43 am

Follow it up front. It's probably disconnected up there too.
    haggisholder

Post by haggisholder Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:49 pm

Hi group,

Back after a 3 year hiatus.  Time to look into this project again.

The brakes are now fixed.  After having done that, I started the old gal up and carefully drove a number of miles.  There are a couple of new problems that have turned up.

The temp/oil pressure light after a time decided to flicker on me.  I drove the van back and parked it but I did notice that when I would rev the engine a little the light would turn off.  It would immediately come back on when I was not revving the engine.

I noticed a really hot area around the fan (heater core?) near the passenger footing area.  I went around to the front of the van and looked through the grill and could see a small coolant leak.  I need to make sure coolant is circulating but I wonder if there is a blocked heater core.

The old gal is oily on the underside and does drip a little oil but I am not sure how much yet.  I am hoping I can replace gaskets and that there aren't main oil seal/oil pressure issues.

Considering the evidence of coolant on the skid plate inside the front grill, I think I will start there.

However, the main clue is that the warning light seems to be tied to engine RPM.  If I accelerate down the road with increasing RPM, the light goes off.  At idle, it comes on.  I'll bet someone else on this forum has seen a similar problem.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:06 pm

Could be that is the charging system idiot light that someone stuck in the temp/oil hole in the dash,,,,,,,unplug the wire from the oil pressure switch by the dipstick,,,,,ground it,,,,,turn on ignition,,,,,the oil light should come on,,,,,,,,  
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:15 pm

if the heater core is plugged, the area by the passengers feet will be cold,,,,,,,normally there is no shut off valve on a van,,,,,,200 degree coolant is always flowing into the heater and van,,,,,,I put a Bronco heater control valve in the heater hose to turn the flow of coolant on and off when I want,,,,,,see if you got a valve above the distributor,,,,,,

1966 Chevy Sportvan questions - Page 2 Surfer15
    haggisholder

Post by haggisholder Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:46 pm

donivan65 wrote:Could be that is the charging system idiot light that someone stuck in the temp/oil hole in the dash,,,,,,,unplug the wire from the oil pressure switch by the dipstick,,,,,ground it,,,,,turn on ignition,,,,,the oil light should come on,,,,,,,,  

Good thinking.

This van is a direct hand-me-down from Dad, who bought it new and has been the only owner. I'm sure he hasn't changed anything.

However, since this light represents 2 trouble conditions, and from reading another post on the forum, I should be able to troubleshoot by simply disconnecting one switch at a time, correct?

Off to find a schematic...

You've already been a huge help. Thanks.
    haggisholder

Post by haggisholder Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:57 pm

donivan65 wrote:if the heater core is plugged, the area by the passengers feet will be cold,,,,,,,normally there is no shut off valve on a van,,,,,,200 degree coolant is always flowing into the heater and van,,,,,,I put a Bronco heater control valve in the heater hose to turn the flow of coolant on and off when I want,,,,,,see if you got a valve above the distributor,,,,,,

1966 Chevy Sportvan questions - Page 2 Surfer15

So this means the coolant can flow around the core if the core is plugged.... that's a good thing. It does seem strange that the area around the fan (duct) got too hot to touch. I don't remember that ever happening...
    haggisholder

Post by haggisholder Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:58 pm

https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/t23590-temp-light-always-on?highlight=temp+gauge

I was looking at the above thread and will use it for troubleshooting...
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:15 pm

The coolant normally just goes from the radiator to the engine and back again,,,,,and they put a heater hose near the upper radiator hose to send the hot water to the heater to heat it up,,,then the water goes back to the waterpump near the lower radiator hose,,,,,but its always hot,,,we want to stop the flow through the heater hoses so the heater is not always on,,,,,so we put a valve in one of the lines to keep the coolant out of the heater,,,,,the oil pressure wire and the temp light wire is the same,,,,,if you ground it, the light comes on,,,,,,and its purpose is to come on AFTER  you lost oil pressure or overheated the engine,,,,,,,you really need a voltmeter and a temperature gauge on your van to stop problems BEFORE they happen,,,,,,,you can leave the oil light on it,,,,but a gauge is useless,,,,,,,
    haggisholder

Post by haggisholder Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:51 am

donivan65 wrote:[..]and its purpose is to come on AFTER  you lost oil pressure or overheated the engine,,,,,,,you really need a voltmeter and a temperature gauge on your van to stop problems BEFORE they happen,,,,,,,you can leave the oil light on it,,,,but a gauge is useless,,,,,,,

Thanks Donivan.

So it either ran too hot or low on oil pressure...  The van is not onsite right now so I just have to speculate until I can move it onsite.  

However, I'm still thinking that the flickering light is the clue.  At idle, the light pretty much came on and stayed on, but only after driving for a bit.  When the engine was revved or when driving over say 25mph, the light would go off.

I will check charging voltage next time I can.  I will also check that the coolant is properly circulating.  And though the shop "serviced" the van, I now have to wonder if they got the oil level correct....

Maybe I misunderstood.  Are you saying a modern oil pressure/temp gauge is useless?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:37 am

,,,,,,in my book,,,,,a waste of time,,,,,and space,,,,,,,it constantly moves,,,,,,at least the light will get your attention if there ever  is low oil pressure,,,,,,,,,,,but if you like gauges,,,,,put one in,,,,,,,if you put one in with the plastic tubing on it,,,,watch it closely ,,,those lines break and spray your oil all over the place,,,,,,,but I would put a test gauge on it to see what the oil pressure is hot and cold to see what you got,,,,,,,
    haggisholder

Post by haggisholder Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:56 am

Good news.

I was able to check out the van again yesterday. Oil and coolant have been replaced.

Started and idled the engine for a few minutes and the oil/temp light was on from the beginning - right away. However, after a quick drive around the block the light mostly went off. With a little more driving, the light stayed off almost entirely, with just an occasional flicker. There was no sign of overheating or other trouble so I took it out on the highway for a few miles and gently took her to about 55 and she ran perfectly. No light, engine purred just great, no overheating... Even when I turned off on a dirt road and slowed to make turns the light stayed off. Almost as if it just needed a little driving to work out the kinks.

It will need some things.. windshield is broken, so if anyone has any tips on that, I'd appreciate it. The heater core seems to be a problem as well. Not sure if there are any of the *correct* cores left out there or not. And maybe some lens covers. That's about it. It will otherwise pass inspection, so the local shop says...

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:16 am

1966 Chevy Sportvan questions - Page 2 Vanlal10
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:10 pm

cores are avail. also see youtube for cleaning a core out!!.Likely change out the old oil pressure sender if electric?? or clean the metal line to the gague if mechanical.
    haggisholder

Post by haggisholder Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:07 pm

donivan65 wrote:1966 Chevy Sportvan questions - Page 2 Vanlal10

You pretty much are a vintage van God, aren't you... Thanks a lot, that is going to help big time! Now off to get info on windshield replacement....
    haggisholder

Post by haggisholder Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:07 pm

Twinpilot001 wrote:cores are avail. also see youtube for  cleaning a core out!!.Likely change out the old oil pressure sender  if electric?? or  clean the metal line to the gague if mechanical.

Thanks, I'm off to check into it!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 11:00 am