VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+4
RodStRace
itruns
jkr
slowflapper
8 posters

Votage Regulator Problem?

BADBADGER
    BADBADGER

Number of posts : 246
    Registration date : 2009-05-15

Votage Regulator Problem? - Page 2 Empty Electronic VR and alternator

Post by BADBADGER Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:10 am

Ive been reading all of the comments and suggestions for dealing with the VR/ Charging and Alternator problems some of you have encountered. This week I began the wiring part of my 67 A100 project. The alternator, one of several that came with the van, has two field wires on it. Looking at the wiring diagram in the Dodge service manual, it shows a single field terminal alt. The VR is a old mechanical type, looks like Napa. My plan is to follow the path that many of you have taken by replacing the VR with a quality electronic VR. What brand / part number is the best one to go with? We dont have a pick a part yard around here, so ill go with a new one. With the VR being replaced, is the two field terminal alt the right application? I may replace the alt at the same time. Is a 60 amp alt the right application also? Needless to say fusible links will be installed also.
    Have some question on the starter system also but will post on a seperate thread. Thanks.
    itruns
    itruns

Number of posts : 1605
    Registration date : 2008-07-03

Votage Regulator Problem? - Page 2 Empty Re: Votage Regulator Problem?

Post by itruns Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:10 pm

Yep, two field terminal alternator with a decent electronic VR + spare is the way to go. If you're not rewiring the van, you an run a wire from the12 volt side of the ballast resistor to one field terminal, the original wire from the other field terminal to the new VR pigtail under the dash and the original 12 volt feed to the other pigtail wire. Better if you use automotive heat resistant wire in the doghouse.

Alternator talk:
    One wire alternators sometimes need a kick in the rpms to get them to "put out".
    Consider the possibility of adding amps, flat screen, inverter, lighting, electric engine fan, extra batteries, etc. Now may be a good time put a bad a$$ alternator in there to power the modern day crap we seem to need. Believe it or not, I'm even thinking of adding a shorepower battery charger once I get rolling on my poor neglected van this winter.

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 4:48 am