VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

Fuel pump change out help!

Fuel pump change out help! Empty Fuel pump change out help!

Post by Guest Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:03 am

What's up vanners? Hey first off i want to thank everyone that has jumped in with their ideas on some of the posts i have put on this site! This is a great place for info! I am just working out all of the bugs in this van so it can be my daily driver so the wife can have the truck and i don't have to ride the Harley all winter long!!! To damn cold but a man has to do what a man has to do to take care of his family. this is the first time i have every had a van like this and it kind of fell into my lap so i have a lot of learning to do with it.

Anyways i burnt up my electric fuel pump (long story) so i went out yesterday and got me a new fuel pump non electric one like was still installed in it. I pulled the old one out last night and the push rod slid down and i can't get it back up to slide the pump arm under it. is there a way to get the push rid back up with out taking the fuel pump backing plate off? Any help would be great if not i will be taking the backing plate off but do i need a gasket for that? i have no idea if it has one or not because it is such a tight area to work in so i can't see if there is one behind the backing plate or not.

thanks again guys!!!
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Fuel pump change out help! Empty Re: Fuel pump change out help!

Post by donivan65 Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:19 am

2 ways,,,,,,,,,put grease on that shaft so it sticks up in there,,,,,,,and look on the front side of the engine by the shaft,,,,,there might be a dummy bolt in there to take out and put a longer one in there to act like a set screw to hold the shaft up while you slip the pump in,,,,,,,there are 2 gaskets on that pump and plate,,,,,,,

Post by Guest Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:42 am

thanks for the info i will be checking that out tonight! Donivan your alright no matter what everyone else says about you brotha! lol!
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:13 pm

and IF that shaft has slipped down, it can be hard to get it to go back up through that hole,,,,,,so maybe like hook a piece of coat hanger or something, though the hole and around the shaft and try and make the shaft move back up where it belongs,,,,,,maybe smack the area with a hammer to jar it loose because you kind of think that the shaft is a magnet and it sticks to that cover and won't go back up in the engine where it belongs,,,,,,or you will end up pulling that cover and pushing the shaft back up.

Post by Guest Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:29 pm

oh i will have to try that because it wasn't going anywhere when i tried to move it.
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:52 pm

Fuel pump change out help! Pump_b10
    Just a pic to help, Take that bolt out and use a longer one to hold the pin in place, I have had some luck using very long thin needle nose pliers.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:09 pm

,,,,,,,looks like the only more help we can give you is if we came over there and did it for you,,,,,,

Post by Guest Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:42 am

Well that would be nice come on with it! grab your tools I will get the beer!!!

just kidding I ended up buying a new backer plate gasket and some lithium grease and pulled the backer plate off cleaned the push rod up and everything else around it than greased it up put everything back together I had my 17 year old son helping me and had him under the van to hold things for me and then I had him tighten up the bottom bolts and he broke the head off of the bottom left bolt. So tonight we are going to get that freakin bolt out of the block and install another one. Sounds easier then it is going to be!!!! A buddy is coming over with his 45 degree drill and extractor set tonight.

Post by Guest Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:31 am

you know i went home at lunch and started the van up and it ran fine and did not leak a bit so i drove it to work and it still isn't leaking. but i am still going to extract that bolt but all in all i am happy to be driving it.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:24 pm

So what broke a fuel pump bolt or a plate bolt?

Post by Guest Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:41 pm

i plate bolt
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:26 pm

something you can get are small lreverse twist drill bits, if the bolt isnt "tight you can spin them out sometimes with them.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 10:54 am