VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

Charging Issue need a little help here.

Charging Issue need a little help here. Empty Charging Issue need a little help here.

Post by Guest Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:35 am

Ok here is the deal i replaced the battery, alt, and voltage reg. then the wires going to the regulator fell over and melted on the headers (well only two melted) so i cut the melted section out and respliced in new wire. now my Gen light stays on and it will not charge the battery. i went through the wiring again last night and nothing was shorted out and covered up well. i can drive it to a friends house and back but then i try to start it to go somewhere else and it will not start so i put the charger on it and the it states that is is at 76% charged. if i take the ground off of the voltage reg the light goes out but i don't think it is charging still. any ideas?

also does anyone know where i can find a repair manual or an online manual for free? I'M a poor man LOL!
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Charging Issue need a little help here. Empty Re: Charging Issue need a little help here.

Post by donivan65 Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:04 am

Take a test light or voltmeter, see if you got voltage at the big output wire on the alternator,,,,,,,,unplug the voltage regulator,,,,,the terminals on the connector are numbered F 2 3 4,,,,, number 3 comes from the horn relay screws,,,,,,it should have voltage on it all the time,,,,,,,if it does, then jump #3 to F in the connector,,,,,,this is called FULL FIELDING the alternator,,,,,,,this should cause the alternator to put out its maximum amperage when you start the van,,,,,,but start there,,,,,,or take off the alternator and have a parts store test it for free,,,,,,,,the problem is the alternator, regulator or wiring,,,,,,start checking

Charging Issue need a little help here. Empty Re: Charging Issue need a little help here.

Post by Guest Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:16 pm

thanks but i had the new alt tested before i left and it is good. it is a new reg also plus a new battery. i will keep checking out the wiring it has to be a ground some where.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:20 pm

Then the plan is to take your test light or voltmeter and see if the alternator output wire has voltage on it,,,,,,,,unplug the regulator,,,,,,,#3 should also have voltage on it,,,,#4 should have voltage from the key on it,,,,,,,,F and 2 in that connector go to the F and R terminals on the back of the alternator,,,,,,so you need an ohm meter to see if those 2 wires are good,,,,,,,hook up a jumper cable from ground to the regulator base to test if your ground is good,,,,,,,,so is it not charging at all or a little or is the Gen light staying on? How many volts is the alternator putting out ?

Post by Guest Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:18 am

ok i got it figured out it was the new voltage reg that I put in was not the right one. it had the ground connecting to one of the hot wires so i put the old one back in and it was running like a champ. I started it up drove it around the hood for a little bit and turned it off. waited 30 minutes then drove it to pick my son up from work and when i got back i forgot to turn the electric fuel pump off and it ran until it burnt up because the pump will not start up. which i guess is ok i wanted to put the regular fuel pump back on it. it turns over and everything just doesn't pump fuel in. so that looks like what i will be doing after work today.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 9:52 pm