VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

2nd Gen. Van Models

drc

Number of posts : 298
    Registration date : 2010-09-13

2nd Gen. Van Models Empty 2nd Gen. Van Models

Post by drc Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:35 pm

Would anyone like to enlighten me on the 2nd generation Chevy van models? 1967-? I know there were 90 and 108 inch lengths, as well as no windows, display, and windows all around the rear. I've seen camper, or "Vista Van" models with the raised roof? Stock? Did Chevy ever make a pop top camper with room for two to sleep upstairs?

You could get a van with nothing in he back, one or two bench seats..... anything more???

There were never more than three on the tree offered on these things were there? Four on the tree?

What's in the back of your 2nd Gen. Van?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

2nd Gen. Van Models Empty Re: 2nd Gen. Van Models

Post by donivan65 Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:59 pm

The 2nd Gens, 1967-70, came in two basic types,,,,,,a 1/2 ton G-10 and a 3/4 ton G-20.
    And in two wheelbases,,,,,,90 inch and 108,,,,,,,,and in two models,,,,Panel and SportVan which could be SportVan, SportVan Custom and SportVan Deluxe,,,,,,there always was a 6 cylinder engine and then the 283, 307 and 350 V8 engines,,,,,there was the 3 speed and 4 speed on the column as well as the PowerGlide and TH350 automatic transmissions,,,,,,,,there was a Chevy Van for everyone,,,,,,,,
    drc

Post by drc Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:44 am

Nice info, thanks. Do you know what the difference between SportVan, SportVan Custom, and SportVan Deluxe translates into?

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:19 pm

That would be how much fancy equipment came in it,,,,,,,,and that equipment would be ,,,,,,,chrome headlight and tail light bezels,,,,,,chrome strips along the sides,,,,,,,chrome bumpers,,,,,,a step that slides out when you open the side door,,,,,,,rear seats,,,,,,,chrome horn ring,,,,,,,,dash pad,,,,,,interior upholstery and panels ,,,,the Deluxe would have it all,,,,,,the plain Sportvan might just have rear seats,,,,,,,,,,so maybe some of our SportVan owners can tell you which level of SportVan they have and what equipment is in it.
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:00 am

Most of the camper vans were aftermarket companies doing the work. There are many different styles of camper vans
    drc

Post by drc Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:14 am

Good info. I had found the following youtube clip and thought perhaps at least the top was factory, with the other interior goodies aftermarket:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHOrVwd0WmM

Post by Guest Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:36 am

Drc - go to the General Discussion section of this site and look at page 3 & 4. I posted some ads from 1970 that feature companies that retrofitted early vans of all makes into campers. You may find it interesting and some what educational.
    drc

Post by drc Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:30 am

Wow, that's great stuff. I wonder how many of those conversions are still out there on the road......

Thanks for the posts

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 7:39 pm